2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 f-150

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who has drove a 09 5.4 it is a HUGE improvement... and comparing it to other brands for towing is good but if your that concerned with tiowing buy a super duty.... this 09 kicks azz.... I am sick and tired of tow tow tow... I want a offroad truck full size that gets up and moves with good gas mileage. and I got it...
not saying there isn't room for improvement but my new 09 xlt standard cab longbed 4x4 5.4 is an awesome truck.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
It could be argued that tow ratings are just numbers on a piece of paper also. GM's 6.2 under full load will walk off and leave an F150 under the same conditions. That is a fact. It might come in handy when merging into a busy highway. Toyota will do the same if the frame and tailgate stay intact. IN fact, Ford probably has the best truck with the worst engines of all manf.

My gripe is that I want a reg cab short box 4x2 and Im limited to the lowly 4.6 2v and 4 speed auto. I can get a 5.7 hemi, 5.7 yota, or a 5.3 in a chebby in that same configuration and Ford expects me to pay as much if not more? No thank you. Power does matter. If they dont cough up the 5.0 in this configuration I will buy a Chebby or Dodge. (gasp)

Let me just say I feel for those wanting a 6.2. I dont need it but fully understand why those that do.
Compared to the GM 6.2, the F-150 5.4 is only 1.2 seconds slower in the quarter mile towing against the big "6.2" on pickuptruck.com's test. Is that really that much better?

I would love to have more power and a 6.2 but it gives up too much in fuel economy and there is a lot more to towing than just the engine power numbers on paper. There is a stronger and lighter frame, more suspension - the 6" longer leaf springs provide better balance of load carrying capabilities and ride smoothness, larger leaf spring shackles and outboard rear shocks for lateral stability, new 6 speed trans with tow haul mode, standard trailer sway control, max towing package available on a wider range of models, integrated trailer brake controller, ford is the only manuf to offer bother trailer sway and tbc. That's how you get better towing.

The 6.2 is history. That is important to understand. It will not be used in the regular F-150 due to poor fuel economy and the other (diesel, 5.0 and EcoBoost) engines being better.

Best in capability and towing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OePyITIZ8Lw

More on best in class towing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkZW7pVb_O4

Old 02-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Well at least I can admire your blind loyalty.

Read the new Car & Driver. I'm not the only one thinks the 5.4L is still lacking.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Barittia- When did you order it comet. I been snowboarding the last 10 days and only just realised. I also agree that it's silly to wait till 2011 for a truck with a certain engine when the new models will be just around the corner. What did you order in the end?

Ordered it Friday 2/6/09
They said between 6-12 weeks for delivery.

2009 F-150 4x4 SuperCrew
Platinum Edition
145" wheelbase
Brilliant Silver exterior
Black/Brown interior
3.55 Limited-Slip
Sony NAV
Power Moonroof
Full Coverage Rubber Mats
Bed Extender
Tailgate Step

--------------------$48,145 (truck & factory options)
Bedliner
Remote Start
Molded Splash Guards

--------------------$??? (dealer options)

Total (after all rebates, excluding tax/title/reg)
--------------------$41,088

As you know, the Platinum comes with virtually everything already included, so I only listed those items I had to add to the order. The only option I did not get is the trailer brake controller. Otherwise everything I could select, I did.

Cool man didnt know you made the jump. Your gonna love it lol.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Cool man didnt know you made the jump. Your gonna love it lol.
Thanks! Now I just have to endure the wait...

Old 02-10-2009, 07:22 PM
2010 Platinum has ambient lighting (blue or orange) in the front cupholders and footwells. That's all fine and dandy, but what about getting some Upfitter Switches in there as an option???

Old 02-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid

Read the new Car & Driver. I'm not the only one thinks the 5.4L is still lacking.
It's not blind at all, and it's not really loyalty. It is reality. The 5.4 is lacking in 0 to 60 times, but is not lacking in payload, towing capacity, how long it lasts, and how well it does off-road. If the F-150 is the best truck on the road right now and engines are coming that are much better than the 6.2 what is the problem? 0 to 60 times? Screw its 0-60 and 1/4th mile times, who cares? Pickuptrucks.com has the 5.4 only 1.2 seconds behind the GM 6.2 when towing the 1/4 loaded with a trailer. What difference does 1.2 seconds make? Is anyone really drag racing while towing?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
What difference does 1.2 seconds make? Is anyone really drag racing while towing?

I thought I read somehwere that the 5.4TritonV-8 is one of the most reliable engines in the industry?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 PM
sorry double post

Last edited by Mustang9; 02-11-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid

I have to agree. I think the 5.4 is fine in a reg cab or one of the lighter trucks but a 4x4 double cab adds quit a bit of weight to drag around. Ford needs to step it up and at least offer the option of the 6.2 when it becomes available. Those that dont want it dont have to pay for it at the gas pump or as an option. But at least let the buyer decide and get in the game power wise and it will be game on.

Im worried that Ford is going to make the 5.0 a do all engine and it will then have to go up against the bigger offerings from GM and the rest. I really think the 5.0 is going to be a great piece but I dont think it would be fair to try to compare it with the biggest engines from the competitors but if that is the biggest thing Ford offers I guess it is. Thats Fords problem the way I see it and not mine. Thats why the 6.2 is being tested right? I just want to see Ford cover the competition. Im sure the 5.0 will compare favorable against Gm's 5.3.

The 5.0 is going to be great in the Mustang. The LS3 in the camaro has more power but it has more weight to drag around as well. The 5.0 is going to rock in that application. I simply cant wait for the 5.0 to sit in the engine bay of a stang. That could coax me to trade my mach 1 in. Since 2003 I have not seen significant gains in performance (engine wise) out of Ford in the mustangs. Im speaking about the 3v 4.6 compared to my 4v 4.6 in my mach. No question that the 05+ cars are better in nearly every way. The mach 1's were not a stripe and suspension package like the HD F150's. They have substance.

Please Ford, if the competition can offer big cube engines that make massive torque why cant you? I applaud your general direction but lets put some kick back into the seat of our pants and quit playing second fiddle or should I say last fiddle to everyone else. Remember when?...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk5jwy87Nsw

Old 02-21-2009, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Mustang9
I have to agree. I think the 5.4 is fine in a reg cab or one of the lighter trucks but a 4x4 double cab adds quit a bit of weight to drag around. Ford needs to step it up and at least offer the option of the 6.2 when it becomes available. Those that dont want it dont have to pay for it at the gas pump or as an option. But at least let the buyer decide and get in the game power wise and it will be game on.

Im worried that Ford is going to make the 5.0 a do all engine and it will then have to go up against the bigger offerings from GM and the rest. I really think the 5.0 is going to be a great piece but I dont think it would be fair to try to compare it with the biggest engines from the competitors but if that is the biggest thing Ford offers I guess it is. Thats Fords problem the way I see it and not mine. Thats why the 6.2 is being tested right? I just want to see Ford cover the competition. Im sure the 5.0 will compare favorable against Gm's 5.3.

The 5.0 is going to be great in the Mustang. The LS3 in the camaro has more power but it has more weight to drag around as well. The 5.0 is going to rock in that application. I simply cant wait for the 5.0 to sit in the engine bay of a stang. That could coax me to trade my mach 1 in. Since 2003 I have not seen significant gains in performance (engine wise) out of Ford in the mustangs. Im speaking about the 3v 4.6 compared to my 4v 4.6 in my mach. No question that the 05+ cars are better in nearly every way. The mach 1's were not a stripe and suspension package like the HD F150's. They have substance.

Please Ford, if the competition can offer big cube engines that make massive torque why cant you? I applaud your general direction but lets put some kick back into the seat of our pants and quit playing second fiddle or should I say last fiddle to everyone else. Remember when?...................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk5jwy87Nsw
Hey Mustang - just go pick up a GT500 with the 5.4L SC V8...Ford has already trumped the Camaro/Challenger in hp...I recently sold my 2007 GT500 vert and it had MEAN acceleration....and I had two 4.6L 3V Mustangs before that one (an '05 coupe and an '07 GT/CS vert) and they weren't even in the ballpark as far as raw horsepower goes. Great car the new Mustang and VERY exciting to see Ford <finally> steping up with better suspension options like the new track pac that's available on the 2010 Stang... Let's hope the trend continues!! That's why I got rid of the GT500 - AWESOME hp - but the handling sucked...way too much header shake and stiffining the suspension for better handling - just made the problem more pronounced.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by Rambo
It's not blind at all, and it's not really loyalty. It is reality. The 5.4 is lacking in 0 to 60 times, but is not lacking in payload, towing capacity, how long it lasts, and how well it does off-road. If the F-150 is the best truck on the road right now and engines are coming that are much better than the 6.2 what is the problem? 0 to 60 times? Screw its 0-60 and 1/4th mile times, who cares? Pickuptrucks.com has the 5.4 only 1.2 seconds behind the GM 6.2 when towing the 1/4 loaded with a trailer. What difference does 1.2 seconds make? Is anyone really drag racing while towing?
I may not be the typical truck driver/buyer...but to my recollection, I can't remember seeing trucks drag racing, and have never raced my truck:confused...I looked at the GMC Denali (all wheel drive - 4x4 NOT avaialble in the Denali package) but the larger V8 was available...that sealed my decision to stay with the F-150...why on earth would I want worse gas mileage in a truck...my '05 Lariat 4x4 Screw has all the power I need and the Ford's have equal to or the most capabality when it comes to towing/hauling, etc. than their competitors...so I don't get it why you would want even worse mileage from a larger displacement engine...was a deal breaker for me AGAINST the larger engine

Old 02-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Agreed. The only thing that was aggravating about the current truck was slow acceleration when merging into highway traffic. But I've heard the new 6-speed may take care of that issue. If that's the case, then not only could I care less about more power, but I'd love to see the EcoBoost, or any other engine offering, that has better MPG without sacrificing safety - i.e. acceleration/merging into highway traffic without feeling like you can't even move out of your own way.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
450 HP and 500 TQ is an option on the pre 2009 5.4's. The desired HP is available from FMC right now, so I assume that the concern is about cost?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE=screwbuilder;3575593]With production starting the end of July they will be on dealer lots probably early to mid September. It's amazing how this gets asked every year. New models are never released in the summer. We normally have 2 weeks shutdown at the beginning of July ( not this year, they are wanting to spread it out. 1 week at the end of June and 1 week in mid August) and then we normally don't start building new model year for a week or 2 after that. Then it usually takes 4-5 weeks to get an "OK to ship" from engineering.

Is this information still accurate or have things changed in the assembly plant? Thanks.

Quick Reply: 2010 f-150