2009 - 2014 F-150

Add Trailer Brake Controller after truck is built?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add Trailer Brake Controller after truck is built?

Has anybody looked into adding the factory trailer brake controller to an 09 after they got their truck? I have found a Platinum that has everything that I would order on it except the possibility of the trailer brake controller. Not a big deal today as I don't tow often, but it might be something I would like to add in the future. Thus the question being posed to all of the sharp people here on the site.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM
.... heard of search button? :o

This has been questioned and answered numerous times, from the posts i have seen YES you can add it however it had to be brought into dealer still to be programmed. Assuming to reset PCM or something to get truck trailer brakes etc to talk to each other

Last edited by Bluejay; 03-10-2009 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Language
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 PM
There are too many of these posts in here where people buy a truck without all of the options they want because it was the first truck they saw, they don't want to look around, they don't think they need it, it was local or a friend was selling it. Most come away kicking themselves for not getting everything they wanted. With this kind of investment and there not being a shortage of trucks, you should buy everything you want from the start.

To quote Barritia: "I looked into this when i was going to order a truck without the TBC and the rep i was dealing with looked into it and said that there is wiring for a aftermarket brake controller but it's only a basic connection and because the factory TBC was integrated with the sway control, RSC and braking system that it was not possible. This aint 100% as we all know what ford tech is like."

Same goes for the bed side steps (can only get the step on one side but the price is outrageous. there is the possibility of finding the other side but who wants the hassle and pay that much for steps? why not order it from the start?), tail gate step (gotta buy another whole tailgate and have it painted and unless you get lucky finding one painted. who wants that hassle? why not order it from the start?), nav with sync (the sales guy will tell you it can be added. no problem. then when you take it home, it can't be added. why not buy it from the start?), max towing (you can be crazy and try to add all of this stuff but for less than $200 that it costs from the factory? why not order it from the start?), backup cam (with the high price of parts and labor, and it not working like the OEM cam, why not just order it from the start?), etc. You get the picture. Spend the extra time to find a truck with the TBC and save yourself the hassle and extra expense and it not working like it was intended.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Since 1997 I have been telling anyone who will listen, that if you are going to be buying a new vehicle for tens of thousands of dollars, GET EVERY OPTION YOU WANT!!! If you skimp to save a few bucks, you will regret it for the next 5 or 6 years of payments. You will always wish your payments were a bit higher if it meant being happy every single day for those 5 or 6 years instead of regretting it.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Sometimes people just change their mind.

I got every option I wanted when I purchased my truck. Thats not to say that some other feature may grow on me as time passes or as I learn more details about something I may not have been fully aware of.

Some also fall prey to a salesman's pitch when their just trying to move the inventory off their lot. Not every consumer is as astute as the other.

Its a shame some feel compelled to find fault in others rather than simply help answer their inquiry or perhaps move on without comment.

To the OP, yes, the brake controller can be added easily as long as the factory 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors are present at the rear bumper (factory tow package). Apparently there are have a few problems with some dealers not being aware of the exact procedure though as there is some programming changes involved as well.

I have the factory controller (installed at the factory) and its a worthy addition. Its much smoother than any add-on controller I've ever used including my Tekonsha P3.

Last edited by v_tach; 03-10-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Since 1997 I have been telling anyone who will listen, that if you are going to be buying a new vehicle for tens of thousands of dollars, GET EVERY OPTION YOU WANT!!! If you skimp to save a few bucks, you will regret it for the next 5 or 6 years of payments. You will always wish your payments were a bit higher if it meant being happy every single day for those 5 or 6 years instead of regretting it.
I almost made the same mistake by skimping on the camera......but decided if I'm gonna go in debt, I'm gonna go in debt good and get everything I wanted.

Trust me - it's worth it.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by v_tach
Sometimes people just change their mind.

I got every option I wanted when I purchased my truck. Thats not to say that some other feature may grow on me as time passes or as I learn more details about something I may not have been fully aware of.

Some also fall prey to a salesman's pitch when their just trying to move the inventory off their lot. Not every consumer is as astute as the other.

Its a shame some feel compelled to find fault in others rather than simply help answer their inquiry or perhaps move on without comment.

To the OP, yes, the brake controller can be added easily as long as the factory 7 pin and 4 pin trailer connectors are present at the rear bumper (factory tow package). Apparently there are have a few problems with some dealers not being aware of the exact procedure though as there is some programming changes involved as well.

I have the factory controller (installed at the factory) and its a worthy addition. Its much smoother than any add-on controller I've ever used including my Tekonsha P3.
I asked the dealer to install the option also, but at the time they did not have any info so I added the Tekonsha prodigy ($89) to my 2009 and it works extremely well also. It depends on how you have the brake control adjusted to the final weight of the trailer.

Do you know if fmc OEM'ed the brake controller? My guess is that some other company made the guts. I would be very interested in who's supplying it.

Trending Topics

Old 03-10-2009, 09:30 AM
I know you're already good to go, but in case anyone else is trying to add a factory TBC and the dealer isn't familiar with the exact process, reference this video and give them a print out of the instructions below:

Location of connector and access: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...ford-f150.aspx

Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

2. Select Programming and press the check box.

3. Select Module Programming and press the check box.

4. Select Programmable Parameters and press the check box.

5. Select Personality and press the check box.

6. Follow the on-screen directions.
NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

8. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

9. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.

Last edited by spydyrwyr; 03-10-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: .
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by sandydiego
I asked the dealer to install the option also, but at the time they did not have any info so I added the Tekonsha prodigy ($89) to my 2009 and it works extremely well also. It depends on how you have the brake control adjusted to the final weight of the trailer.

Do you know if fmc OEM'ed the brake controller? My guess is that some other company made the guts. I would be very interested in who's supplying it.
The factory controller works off of brake peddle input pressure and not inertia like aftermarket controllers. Trust me when I say its smoother than any aftermarket controller.

Thats not to say the aftermarket is bad. After putting several thousand miles on my old F150 towing my travel trailer with the Tekonsha P3, it was far the best aftermarket controller I've ever had.

With the advantage of getting input from the truck's braking system directly, the factory brake controller has a significant advantage.

Regardless of factory or aftermarket controller, the 09' F150 is great tow vehicle!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
I know you're already good to go, but in case anyone else is trying to add a factory TBC and the dealer isn't familiar with the exact process, reference this video and give them a print out of the instructions below:

Location of connector and access: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...ford-f150.aspx
Yep I uploaded this same video a few days ago in another thread.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:40 PM
That aftermarket thing looks out of place it down below and the big hole still in the dash and like it would hit your legs. I would do what everybody else is saying and get every option you want OEM!!!

Old 06-23-2009, 06:44 PM
does anyone know if the break controller could be programmed throught the snap-on's verus? i can find any information on it

Quick Reply: Add Trailer Brake Controller after truck is built?