2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 Review - The Good Bad and Ugly

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Review - The Good Bad and Ugly

2009 FX4 Review (400 mile perspective)

The Good:

1. Sync/Sony System - The nav/audio literally blows away my old premium system in my Chrysler 300C SRT8. I am past the audio "aftermarket" age and this system is near perfect.

2. Gas Mileage - 16.8 with easy driving in both city and highway with some idling. Not bad at all considering.

3. Power - I was worried that after driving the Tundra 5.7 I would miss the power, but the 5.4 is more than adequate, has decent acceleration and pull. It may not be the fastest 1/2 ton but unless you are looking to race you will not miss any power.

4. Interior - Got the luxury package and the leather seats are amazing. Really impressed with the leather quality and the overall fit and finish of the interior.

5. Ride - I understand that the FX4 is supposed to ride a little rougher than a Lariat or Platinum due to the off road package but IMO its a better ride. I test drove two platinums and my FX4, at least to me, is the perfect balance of firm but comfortable ride without feeling mushy.

6. Noise - Or rather, lack therof. After driving every 1/2 ton out there, it is clear to me that Ford did the best job with the cabin. Not only is the interior superior but the quietness of the cabin feels more like a Lexus than a pickup. At 75, the cabin is still whisper quiet, literally.

7. Transmission - The 09 transmission is silky smooth, that 6th gear has really helped with the overall acceleration and ride (not to mention the MPG).

8. Wheel/Tire - I upgraded to the 20" wheels with the Perelli Scorpions and I am glad I did as they are really rather nice and an unexpected surprise. The provide an excellent ride and look, so much so I may hold off on my wheel, tire, lift purchase.

The Bad:

1. Sync Jukebox - I know this is not a Ford decision but forced by the RIAA. But why cant I just dump my complete IPOD library into the Jukebox? Well I know why, but it still bothers me. Such a waste of functionality. Anyone got a workaround?

2. Super Crew Cab - Love the audio system as I said, but the sub being right on the floor takes away from an otherwise completely flat rear space. Not sure where it could of gone, so it is tough to truly complain but it is a "want my cake and eat it too" scenario.

3. Power Glass - The one thing, besides power, that the Tundra has over the F150 would be the sliding rear window. It really is incredible and makes the little power rear glass in the Ford pale in comparison.

4. USB - Why hide the second USB? Geeks drive trucks too you know!

5. Sync USB Placement - Why place the USB plug in on the dash console under the AC when you have all that room in the center console?

6. Trip Computer - Why do I have to reach in a touch the little odometer reset button to mess with my trip computer? I know the Plat (and maybe lariat) place a button on the dash above the nav, but even there is out of sorts. This should be on the Steering wheel.

The Ugly:

1. A/C Controls - This one really bothers me. As I stated previously I really love the cab/dash layout. That said, I hate the color coded and plasticy A/C climate controls. They just look cheap compared to everything else and some more thought/design would have really gone a long way. The buttons feel cheap and the blue/red colors seem dated.

2. Ford Options - I would love to speak with the designer/bean counter that made the Ford available options list. I set out to buy an FX4, I could easily afford a Plat, KR or Lariat but because of options available it made no sense for the truck I wanted.

No chrome, so everything else was out. I despise wood trim, there goes the Lariat. I love the KR interior but HATE two tone exterior paint. Why on god's earth would you not make monotone color (i.e. all black) available? Love the Plat options but have zero use for the auto steps, mushy ride (no offense to those that have it) or the "street wheels and grill" which are the major costs to the Plat. I would however have loved (and paid for) cooled seats, auto folding mirrors and rain sensing wipers. Not possible on my FX4.

Final Verdict to potential buyers - If you are not looking to drag race and looking for a very refined truck that doubles as both work truck and something you would actually enjoy driving, the F150 is the best 2009 1/2 ton available.

That being said, if power is your hang up (truly the only weak spot on the F150) you might want to roll the dice and wait for the 2010 model. There is a strong rumor that the 6.2L engine will make its debut. Of course, remember a first year for a new engine can be risky.

Coming from someone who, to be blunt, had swore off Ford since my 1994 SHO and went into my truck purchase with a bias AGAINST the F150 I can tell you that the truck really won me over. Drive one and see.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by chargerrich
I love the KR interior but HATE two tone exterior paint. Why on god's earth would you not make monotone color (i.e. all black) available?

I'll second that. I just don't understand that. Twotone is an option on the Lariat yet forced on the King Ranch. Why, why, why????????

Dream truck is a white sand monotone KR.

Have they ever offered KR in monotone?

Wonder if they might trot it out in a year of two?

Old 03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah I really liked the KR so much that I almost held off a year to see if they allowed all black on it or the HD versions. Not to mention the 6.2L rumor.

In the end, I was impressed enough with the 5.4 and it's reliability that I went with the FX4. Really glad I did, its a great truck so far.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Good input Chargerrich, I agree with all your input, except I like the 2 tone.

Want to add one bad: No driver side entry handle any more. This is killing me.

Luckily, I agree, the reliability of the 5.4 convinced me to go ahead and purchase another Ford after a really bad experience with my 2008 King Ranch, instead of looking elsewhere or waiting until 2010. So far, I am really glad that I did. I love this new truck.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 PM
Curious what was wrong with the KR? I had my heart set on an 09 but cant get past the two tone.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm with you on the availability of options. I went with an FX4 for 2 main reasons.

1. I can't stand the light color interiors in the XLT. I like the black cloth.
2. You can't get a 3.73 without the max tow, except for the FX4.

It was very frustrating trying to get what I wanted without having to add an option (or several) that I didn't want. Who makes these rules???

On the KR topic. I don't understand why that is the only model that comes with running boards standard.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 PM
Will send PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah them auto steps p!ss you off especially when you don't expect them they come and whack you in the shin

Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by TheCougarGuy
I'm with you on the availability of options. I went with an FX4 for 2 main reasons.

1. I can't stand the light color interiors in the XLT. I like the black cloth.
2. You can't get a 3.73 without the max tow, except for the FX4.

It was very frustrating trying to get what I wanted without having to add an option (or several) that I didn't want. Who makes these rules???

On the KR topic. I don't understand why that is the only model that comes with running boards standard.
CG - you are probably referring to the fixed running boards on the KR (which is one of the things I couldn't get past on the KR) but the Platinum also comes with running boards standard - they just tuck in when not in use...frankly, I REALLY LIKE that about the Platinum...always hated the fixed nerf bars on my '05 Lariat 4x4 (in my mind they make it look more like a soccer mom SUV) but everytime I removed them - I started getting complaints from passengers about getting in/out of the truck. If I were to get the KR - I would have done the Platinum running board retrofit as my 1st mod. Another thing that kind of bugs me about the KR is the badging - too over the top for my tastes....

Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Hotlap,

I should have clarified that. I think the running boards are ugly on the KR.

I did get the chrome step bars on my truck (which I take delivery of at 5pm!). I'm 6'3" and I don't really need them but I got them for others getting in the truck and also for some side protection from door dings.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
gpo
The way ford has setup their options and availability (limitations is a better word) is absolutely astonishing. It is a major PITA.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Originally Posted by gpo
The way ford has setup their options and availability (limitations is a better word) is absolutely astonishing. It is a major PITA.
True, but keep in mind that the F-150 has more options than any other vehicle out there. The limitations do suck, but at least the choices are there in some fashion or another, whereas not only does F-Series have more choices than any other vehicle, it also does give you a good variety to pick and choose seperately without lumping everything into a package like most cars do. Trust me, not defending them (pissed I couldn't get 3.73 w/out those dumbo drop mirrors), just saying is all.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM
gpo
I was just looking at it from a cost and production point of view. It would be a lot easier and cheaper if ford were to lower the number of combinations. I am also frustrated because I have to wait so long to get my truck.

From a consumer stand point, the number of options is great. One thing I love is driving a vehicle that isn't the same as every other one on the road.

So in the end I guess its a toss up IMO.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:36 PM
i did read that ford have the combo's like they do because it saves them money. If they have 10000 combo packs built then they know that they need 10000 of every part in that combo. But if every option was on it's own then they have no idea how many of each they are gonna sell and need. Everyone may order the 3.73's towing gears and not order the tow mirrors. then they have loads of mirrors sitting around so they package them as they think people may pick them. Wouldnt you want big mirrors if you are going for a 3.73 axle ratio because you are gonna be towing??? seems like there's logic in it to me but im sure some people wont want some of the stuff in the combo's.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM
The greatest truck design in world means nothing if you can't get it in "YOUR" color!
I mean come on you can't get a Platinum in basic red, one of the worlds most popular colors. Yea, thats going to break the bank alright! Come on. Besides, most people are willing to pay extra for the options they want.

Quick Reply: 2009 Review - The Good Bad and Ugly