2009 - 2014 F-150

Factory TBC can be added after

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Factory TBC can be added after

It appears from this thread that the TBC can be added. It just needs to be activated through the computer by the dealership. Nothing else needs to be replaced unlike the SuperDutys if you were to add it later.

Good to know!

Part number for it TBC 9L3Z-2C006-A

NOTE: The trailer brake system is normally installed at the assembly plant, however, the system can be installed at the dealership but only if the vehicle is equipped with the trailer tow option. This option can be confirmed by verifying the presence of both the 4-pin and the 7-pin connectors at the rear of the vehicle as well as a receiver hitch. If the vehicle is not equipped with these 3 items, then it is not equipped with trailer tow and cannot have the factory Trailer Brake Control (TBC) system installed. On those vehicles equipped with the trailer tow option, the electrical connector for the TBC module is attached to the back of the coin bin/storage tray. If the system is installed at the dealership, the TBC module will be installed in place of the coin bin/storage tray and the Instrument Cluster (IC) must be configured to communicate with the TBC module. Refer to the Wiring Diagrams manual, Cell 95 Trailer/Camper Adapter and Cell 151 Component Location Views for connector and wiring information. Refer to Programmable Parameters in the Diagnosis and Testing portion of this section for information on IC configuration.

* Without a trailer connected to the vehicle and with the ignition key turned to the RUN position, the TBC module display lights up/proves out, but does not light up afterward (will not illuminate with input from the gain + button or slide lever)

* Instrument Cluster (IC) not configured for TBC system

* REFER to DTC U2202 in the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart.
Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

1. Select Programming and press the check box.

1. Select Module Programming and press the check box.

1. Select Programmable Parameters and press the check box.

1. Select Personality and press the check box.

1. Follow the on-screen directions.

1. NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.
Highlight TBC-IC.

1. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

1. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.
Their technician put his scanner on the truck and started looking for a way to activate the controller. He couldn't find it under the logical things such as brakes etc.....so he just started scrolling thru the options, "personalities" is apparently one option ??? and there was the brake controller. Clicked on it, 2 seconds later it activated.

I brought it home, hooked up the trailer and took it for a test spin.... Just like the truck brakes, It varies the pressure to the tailer brakes depending on how much pressure you apply to the pedal. I tried raising the gain all the way up to 10 and it never locked the trailer wheels, yet the trailer brakes were working fine. I started @ 4.5 (the point my old controller would lock the trailer wheels when empty) and even on gravel they never locked..This appears to be one nice working controller !!!

http://www.**************/showthread.php?t=16716&page=3

Last edited by blackjack8900; 03-26-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:59 PM
gpo
Great info...thanks for posting!

Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM
Blackjack -Sounds good if it can be done,I can just imagine going to my dealer and asking him if he could do this.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:21 PM
Dude, thanks for posting, but this has been covered on here already... at length.

In this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...uck-built.html

I posted the exact same text, except I edited the step by step process so that every step wasn't "Step 1."

Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
I know you're already good to go, but in case anyone else is trying to add a factory TBC and the dealer isn't familiar with the exact process, reference this video and give them a print out of the instructions below:

Location of connector and access: http://www.etrailer.com/tv-brake-con...ford-f150.aspx

Programmable Parameters
The message center will display TBC FAULT if it is receiving communications from the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module, but has not been configured for a trailer brake system. If the message center displays TBC FAULT and there are no DTCs stored in the TBC module, follow these steps to verify and/or modify the TBC module programmable parameter in the Instrument Cluster (IC).

1. Identify the vehicle using the normal Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) process.

2. Select Programming and press the check box.

3. Select Module Programming and press the check box.

4. Select Programmable Parameters and press the check box.

5. Select Personality and press the check box.

6. Follow the on-screen directions.
NOTE: The scan tool will display either EQUIPPED or NOT EQUIPPED to the left of TBC-IC.

7. Highlight TBC-IC.

8. If the IC needs to be configured for a trailer brake system, choose EQUIPPED and press the check box.

9. Carry out a self-test of the TBC module. Refer to the Trailer Brake Control (TBC) Module DTC Chart for any DTCs retrieved.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by spydyrwyr
Dude, thanks for posting, but this has been covered on here already... at length.

In this thread: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...uck-built.html

I posted the exact same text, except I edited the step by step process so that every step wasn't "Step 1."
I guess I am a little late.:o I thought for sure it was not yet covered.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by blackjack8900
I guess I am a little late.:o I thought for sure it was not yet covered.
No worries. We're all excited to get Upfitter Switches in there instead, anyways!

Quick Reply: Factory TBC can be added after