2009 - 2014 F-150

Nav/Sync Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav/Sync Question

Does anyone know if the Nav/Sync system has AV outputs in the back. I would like to install a backseat tv screen and am wondering if I can run a line out of the Nav/sync unit and have the DVD play from the front unit. I realize it turns off when you shift into park but there appears to be 3rd party work arounds for that.

I know there is the extra USB port in the back of the unit. What other connections are there??

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bevostein
Does anyone know if the Nav/Sync system has AV outputs in the back. I would like to install a backseat tv screen and am wondering if I can run a line out of the Nav/sync unit and have the DVD play from the front unit. I realize it turns off when you shift into park but there appears to be 3rd party work arounds for that.

I know there is the extra USB port in the back of the unit. What other connections are there??
Coastaltech's Lockpick that allows DVD play in drive for the front Nav screen has an extra set of AV outputs for rear seat screens. They are still working on perfecting their Sony/Sync system for the F150 (will be a few weeks I was told) but it will acccomplish both the tasks you describe for about $300. Also, there is an extra USB under the center speaker in the dash for adding an extra hard drive. Search this board for USB and you'll find the thread describing how to tap into it.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:45 PM
Bump -

Still wondering if the Sony/Sync/Nav system has AV outputs in back of the unit. Any of you guys that have torn apart the dash know?

Alternatively, maybe there are not actual RCA outputs but maybe wires that run into the harness that throw video. I think the Expy can throw video to back from the Sony system. I would think somehow the F150 can too. Anyone have wiring diagram for the harness?

Old 05-18-2009, 08:53 PM
I had the whole system out the other day but didnt notice any type of video or audio outs. I have this pic from another forum of the rear of both sync systems gen 1 and gen 2 the one in the 09's is the one on the left.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the picture! What forum did you get those from?

Definitely no RCAs out

I have to believe of all those pins on the left unit, some of them must be for outputting AV to a rear entertainment system.

Wiring diagram anyone??????

Old 07-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone?

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 PM
From what I have been able to gather up to this point, the stock Head Units do not put out a video signal. There is a way to get audio and video into the unit, just not out.

Coastaltech is working on the lockpick device which will add RCA inputs for audio and video to the stock Nav/DVD. I emailed Coastaltech to ask about A/V out and they said no, not with the lockpick.

I'm debating on getting either just the base radio, and adding aftermarket Nav/DVD or going factory Nav/DVD.

If I stick with the factory Nav/Dvd, I will add the LockPick, and a central distribution A/V amp to feed the stock NAV/DVD and rear monitors via an iPod. That way we can control the movies from the front via the iPod. Then, if the front of the house doesn't feel like watching Shrek for 8 hours straight, you can turn the front stock head unit to whatever else you would like, say put your own DVD in the front, or radio or mp3 or whatever.
Rear monitors will have built in IR blasters so the kids can listen via headphones.

OR, I may just stick with $100 dual screen headrest system that plugs into the ciggy lighter, and call it a day.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Your plan on adding the Lockpick sounds good. In fact, that is what I would like to do. There is one problem to this plan.

Coastal has been promising "two more weeks" on that Lockpick since at least February. I'm beginning to question whether I want to buy a product from a company that is either very disorganized or is struggling with developing a bug free product. Their people have also been very rude on the phone when I called to ask questions about the units features and timeline for availability.

I'm sure I will eventually buy one since it is the only thing I've found that has all the features I want but I'm going wait a while and let others try it out and make sure there no bugs before I tear apart my dash.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, I think Coastal is a victim of their own success.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
I have been getting the whole "2 more weeks" story months as well. I called NavTV and spoke with them, but their unit is $500 and does not have all of the capabilites as what the lock pick is supposed to have.

I guess I'll keep waiting for coastaletech, but does anyone know if they are the actual manufacturer or are they a retailer?

Thanks,

Old 07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Originally Posted by HoosierRealtor
but does anyone know if they are the actual manufacturer or are they a retailer?

Thanks,

More of a distributor. They are made in China (IIRC). I too emailed them back around March and got the 2 weeks reply.

I for one hope they get it together, it looks like a nice product as long as it does what it says it will do.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM
It seems the "2 week" answer is the generic one. I emailed them again (probably 2 weeks ago ) and got the same answer as everyone else. I can understand the need to develop the software that continues to work even after the end user updates their system (remember the fiasco with the jail broken Iphones that became paper weights after Apple did their software update?). But this product was due out late January and 7.5 months later - no info. Just as someone else mentioned, I am hesitant to buy from a company that operates like this.

Maybe they will release it one day and someone can try it out!

Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 PM
Too funny! I've been on the two week wait list since February and even volunteered to beta test anything they have.

Old 07-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop

Maybe they will release it one day and someone can try it out!
Thanks for volunteering IBCop. You are the man!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Anyone remember the name of the company who makes the adapters for the '04 - '08 head units that allow you to run an external feed (XM raido, etc.) through the stock "Aux" button on the head unit. I had their adapter on my '05 and it worked great for adding the XM radio through the AUX button. They might have or be working on something as well?

Sorry I can't think of the name right now...AH it's "Log Jam Electronics"!! Try them!!

Quick Reply: Nav/Sync Question