2009 - 2014 F-150

09 NAV in XLT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 NAV in XLT?

Has anybody tried to retrofit the factory Ford nav from the Lariat or Plat into an XLT?

Not sure if this is possible since the A/C controls are integrated into the Nav.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I wouldnt have thought it would be cost effective. There's so much intergration to the rest of the truck that it could be a very hard job to install.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Answer to your question.

I recently purchased a 09 F150 and a 09 Flex. I purchased the Flex for my wife and the F150 for myself. No I am a person who usually buys the best model on the lot, but with the economy the way it is I wanted to buy American. So I purchased the two basically stripped, I am putting in a Navigation, drop down DVD player, back up camera and Satellite radio. I started a thread on a Flex Forum after reading that there was no possible way to do it. Well they are wrong.

"Hello to all,

I am writing you to tell all of you that there is a way to install an aftermarket head unit (the JVC KW-NX7000 Navigation with a drop down video screen for my little one with Sirius, and a back up camera) is what I am installing.

First, I too was waiting for a Dash kit fro Metra or Scosche to add the unit. I had called today both companies (04/21/09) to see when they will be available and I was informed that they will not be released unit June. Me being the impatient person that I am I decided to tear apart my dash and take a look. Now I am not a person who gets discouraged easily, but when I saw the radio and A/C unit was one piece, I said to myself, they have to be separate units, and in fact they were. They do however share the same **** face. Pictures to follow what I have done.

So I totally dismantled the unit, separated the radio from the A/C unit, after I did that I checked to see it would work alone without the radio, and it WORKED! So then I pulled out my dremel and proceeded to cut the **** faceplate and then the metal plate in half. Then I put the unit back together and then once again, checked to see if it worked and guess what it WORKED!

Then I continued to remove the cd player and looked at what I had to work with for space, please note, I will be cutting the dash to fit the double din radio using the face place that came along with the radio to fit into the hole I just cut. I realize that the Metra and Scocshe kit uses the dash kit to hold the unit, I will do that but I will also find a way to reinforce the unit from bouncing. I did also notice that the face plate is curved and I will figure that out as well.

I then cut the plastic and metal gusset that resides behind the original unit so my navigation unit will fit. This is the first post and as I move on I will post directions and pics.

Mylardass"

I can post pictures if needed, but I will wait until I am done with the F150, the last parts are to arrive tomorrow to finish the Flex, I will post them to the Flex Site. Here is the link.

http://fordflexforum.com/index.php?s...t=0&#entry2347

Old 04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by Mylardass
I recently purchased a 09 F150 and a 09 Flex. I purchased the Flex for my wife and the F150 for myself. No I am a person who usually buys the best model on the lot, but with the economy the way it is I wanted to buy American. So I purchased the two basically stripped, I am putting in a Navigation, drop down DVD player, back up camera and Satellite radio. I started a thread on a Flex Forum after reading that there was no possible way to do it. Well they are wrong.

"Hello to all,

I am writing you to tell all of you that there is a way to install an aftermarket head unit (the JVC KW-NX7000 Navigation with a drop down video screen for my little one with Sirius, and a back up camera) is what I am installing.

First, I too was waiting for a Dash kit fro Metra or Scosche to add the unit. I had called today both companies (04/21/09) to see when they will be available and I was informed that they will not be released unit June. Me being the impatient person that I am I decided to tear apart my dash and take a look. Now I am not a person who gets discouraged easily, but when I saw the radio and A/C unit was one piece, I said to myself, they have to be separate units, and in fact they were. They do however share the same **** face. Pictures to follow what I have done.

So I totally dismantled the unit, separated the radio from the A/C unit, after I did that I checked to see it would work alone without the radio, and it WORKED! So then I pulled out my dremel and proceeded to cut the **** faceplate and then the metal plate in half. Then I put the unit back together and then once again, checked to see if it worked and guess what it WORKED!

Then I continued to remove the cd player and looked at what I had to work with for space, please note, I will be cutting the dash to fit the double din radio using the face place that came along with the radio to fit into the hole I just cut. I realize that the Metra and Scocshe kit uses the dash kit to hold the unit, I will do that but I will also find a way to reinforce the unit from bouncing. I did also notice that the face plate is curved and I will figure that out as well.

I then cut the plastic and metal gusset that resides behind the original unit so my navigation unit will fit. This is the first post and as I move on I will post directions and pics.

Mylardass"

I can post pictures if needed, but I will wait until I am done with the F150, the last parts are to arrive tomorrow to finish the Flex, I will post them to the Flex Site. Here is the link.

http://fordflexforum.com/index.php?s...t=0&#entry2347

It's very easy to fit after market radios but the OP was asking about fitting factory system! The factory system has a lot more going on that just a head unit.

Old 04-23-2009, 09:12 PM
in order to see the pics on that site we have to register...not worth it

Old 04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Sorry for the confusion, I did take a part the dash yesterday and it was different from the Flex. I will start making the upgrades this weekend, and I will post pics if interested. I just thought I was helping out.

Mylardass

Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Mylardass
Sorry for the confusion, I did take a part the dash yesterday and it was different from the Flex. I will start making the upgrades this weekend, and I will post pics if interested. I just thought I was helping out.

Mylardass
You are helping out. Any picture how to's you can post will be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: 09 NAV in XLT?