2009 - 2014 F-150

Tundra CrewMax or F-150??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just looked over at the over site you posted on and they dont really seem to know anything about trucks of any kind.

The 5.4 is a tired motor (It will tow anything the Tundra will with better MPG and a lot safer while doing it)

Toyotas quality reputation (yes a reputation they have been rideing on for over 15 years)

The Ford is weak in power department (Come on guys thats all i keep hearing. Not every one needs the most powerful setup)

the stiffness is still as bad as always (Clearly aint even driven a 2009 f150)

I haven't driven the new F150 yet... But I really hate their interior (This coming from a tundra owner!!!!)

A/C vents are aggrivating (Yeah they are so annoying having so much ajustment!!!!)

As for the paint on the Ford.. I doubt it's better than the Tundra (Errr what sort of replys is that about what truck to buy?)

I would be scared to death to have anything over 4k lbs behind a Ford
(Yeah of course you would.)

Tundra will get better real world fuel economy (Lol)

Whats annoying is they have to lie to make the Tundra look a better truck but everyone on here is being honest about what truck does what better. Consistently the F150 wins every shoot out because it's the best.

Last edited by Barritia; 04-24-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
My '09 is MUCH better "off-the-line" than my '04. And it smoothed out and pulled off well after just a couple hundred miles of driving/learning.

Don't forget, the F150 has power fold mirrors, which could come in real handy depending on your parking situation. No idea if the turdra has those or not, was not impressed with it at all to bother doing much more than cursory examination of it. It looks big, yet extremely bland. The F-150 looks tough yet luxurious, never mind that is actually is as well.

So yeah, keep in mind the power fold mirrors and trailer sway thingy if you tow. I should think the trailer sway thing would be a deal breaker for anyone who tows anything. I think the ram which isn't selling at all also has a less sophisticated trailer sway thingy.

When I pass an '09 I'm tempted to power fold my mirrors to say hello instead of a thumbs up, but it takes a bit too long when passing in traffic.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Since you seem to be asking a legitimate question and aren't here just to stir the pot I'll put it to you like this:

Would you prefer to have a truck built by a company that has 2 years experience building a full size truck, or would you prefer a full size truck built by a company that's been making them for WELL over 30 years?

Toyota has been relying on just 2 things to sell the Tundra, a high HP (and low MPG) V8 and a reputation for quality vehicles. In order to get into the full size truck market Toyota SEVERELY sacrificed quality. They don't understand what it takes to build a solid truck that will be a good investment for the customer and will stand up to the abuse that a truck sees.

You will NEVER, EVER see a Tundra being worked hard and abused the way Ford trucks are. There's a very good reason for that.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Since you seem to be asking a legitimate question and aren't here just to stir the pot I'll put it to you like this:

Would you prefer to have a truck built by a company that has 2 years experience building a full size truck, or would you prefer a full size truck built by a company that's been making them for WELL over 30 years?

Toyota has been relying on just 2 things to sell the Tundra, a high HP (and low MPG) V8 and a reputation for quality vehicles. In order to get into the full size truck market Toyota SEVERELY sacrificed quality. They don't understand what it takes to build a solid truck that will be a good investment for the customer and will stand up to the abuse that a truck sees.

You will NEVER, EVER see a Tundra being worked hard and abused the way Ford trucks are. There's a very good reason for that.
x2, well said my friend

Old 04-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Lots of good comments. I'll try to respond to a few highlights:

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I am one of those skeptics when evaluating some of the manufacturer's self-serving marketing materials (the same reason I am unimpressed by all the great things the Toyota site says about the Tundra). That's why I came here -- lots of good honest feedback (even if a bit slanted towards the Ford). I did a similar post on the Tundra board -- same mix of commentary over there (some objective, others more defensive).

Buy American.
I would like to -- but these Tundras are built right down the road from me in San Antonio -- so this argument is a lot more murky than it was, say, 15 years ago.

Sort of a loaded question. Most of us are on this site because we like the product. I am biased toward the F150 because it lasts and holds up to the abuse of actually using it.
This is a good site for honest answers about the F150. There are so many different opinions here but most of us love ford trucks.
No need for any apologies about defending the Ford territory -- that's why I came here with the question. I've got a similar thread running over on the Tundra board -- trust me, those guys are, if anything, a lot more defensive. Honesty is what I am looking for... and if you honestly love your 09 F-150 rig, and you considered a Tundra, I'd like to hear from you (the good, bad, and ugly).

Hey BaylorBrad, first off, let's fish man... I assume you're in Texas. I fish Port A as often as I can. Maybe we can hit the water sometime, or at least swap some good fishing spots.
You got it! Not a native Texan, but got here as soon as I could. I mainly hit POC when I go down to the coast (keep my Kenner in storage there -- and usually head across the bay to stay out on Matagorda Penninsula -- love it down there). I've only fished Port A once, and it was (thankfully) with someone who knew where all the reefs and shallow spots were. Sure seems like a nice big truck would be an added benefit to a weekend on the coast with all the coolers, rods, people, etc. Would love to hit the bays sometime in the Bluewave --- that boat is also on my "list" to test out for the next fishing machine (nothing wrong with my Kenner... but you know how it is... there's always a better boat out there...).

Depends in what you want from the truck. If you want the most best all round truck then withdoubt it's the f150. If you want a truck to beat other from the light then the toyota is the way to go. Im sure the Toyota guys are gonna say Tundra over all else but to be honest it really only shines in one area. It's fast. The interior laks big time, Quality is below par, Nothing great to mention in the gadget/Creature comfort area and they have numerous problems from bad design and build quality.
I hear you on the "its just fast" argument. It is what has caused me to seriously consider the F-150. If I wanted something "fast" I'd get some kind of sports car. However, as to your "poor quality" allegations ... I would love to hear more specifics if you have them (only because I am admittedly ignorant as to any issues that are out there... with either the Tundra or the F-150, actually). Thank you.

I would do what the others have said, drive both of them and have the truck make your decision.
No doubt -- as others have said, test driving and making the personal choice is, at the end of the day, what it is going to come down to. I guess my "problem" is that I drove them both -- but a couple of months apart... and I *really* liked BOTH of them (as I recall). I might have a different feeling if I drove both in the same Saturday afternoon... which, clearly, I need to do before making a final decision.

Lastly, DEXX00420, dem some good lookin' dogs!

(thanks again for the insights -- keep 'em coming)

Old 04-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Just looked over at the over site you posted on and they dont really seem to know anything about trucks of any kind.

The 5.4 is a tired motor (It will tow anything the Tundra will with better MPG and a lot safer while doing it)

Toyotas quality reputation (yes a reputation they have been rideing on for over 15 years)

The Ford is weak in power department (Come on guys thats all i keep hearing. Not every one needs the most powerful setup)

the stiffness is still as bad as always (Clearly aint even driven a 2009 f150)

I haven't driven the new F150 yet... But I really hate their interior (This coming from a tundra owner!!!!)

A/C vents are aggrivating (Yeah they are so annoying having so much ajustment!!!!)

As for the paint on the Ford.. I doubt it's better than the Tundra (Errr what sort of replys is that about what truck to buy?)

I would be scared to death to have anything over 4k lbs behind a Ford
(Yeah of course you would.)

Tundra will get better real world fuel economy (Lol)
Barritia, First of all, nice research skills in locating the other thread. Well done.

Second, thanks for taking the time to analyze some of their "arguments." I, too, was confused by what exactly was meant by the 5.4 being a "tired" motor. Huh? The claim that the Tundra will get better real world gas mileage was also laughable to me. I appreciate someone who bought a Tundra wanting to explain/defend their decision to do so... but don't claim you get better MPG if you want to have any credibility with me.

Funny thing is, I honestly was not even considering the F-150 (because of my past issues, and general perception re: Ford quality). But, after hearing about it and reading up on it, I decided to go to the lot and test drive one (a nicely equipped Lariat -- also sat inside a Platimum, but didn't drive it). Needless to say, after my casual stop in to see what the F-150 was all about, I am now seriously struggling over my decision (and I was basically "sold" on getting the Tundra Crewmax before hand).

I am definitely not here (or over on the Tundra board) to merely "stir the pot."

I am a meandering consumer in need of direction...

Please, carry on with the commentary...

Old 04-24-2009, 10:56 PM
TBird69 has put it very well. I have purchased only Japanese vehicles over the last decade (Honda). However Toyota has not been making a full size pickup very long.

Everything about the new Tundra is brand new - the engine, the transmission, the frame, on and and on. As an engineer I know full well that you have to build upon prior successes and learn from prior failures and improve upon them.

I think Toyota might one day make a very reliable solid truck and I hope they do. I don't think they've had enough successes and enough failures yet to build upon that foundation. The 2007+ will likely be the foundation they will build upon. However, I'd rather leave it those bolder than me to be the early adopters.

How many V8s of the size the Toyota has in the Tundra has Toyota ever made that have 200000+ miles on them. ?

Last edited by canoetrpr; 04-24-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by baylorbrad
Lots of good comments. I'll try to respond to a few highlights:

I would like to -- but these Tundras are built right down the road from me in San Antonio -- so this argument is a lot more murky than it was, say, 15 years ago.

I'll throw my $.02 in as well. Regarding your comment about the Toyota being built just down the road from you; I hear that a lot, the "They make 'em here and employ a lot of people her in the USA!" Yes, they do employee quite a few people here to build a Toyota Truck. Irregardless where the vehicle is built, where do you think the profits go for Toyota??? They go to Nagoya, Japan. Yes, you may be helping one employee keep his job at Toyota, San Antonio by buying a Tundra; however, you're also helping to terminate employment opportunities for 100's of Americans that supply parts to US auto-manufacturers including the parts delivery personel and the manufacturer employee's themselves.

It's one thing that ticks me off with these auto-manufacturer bailouts. Rather than the government "throwing" so much money at them to maintain their current poor practices, why don't they spend a couple $Million dollars on a "Buy American" campain and explain why it will benefit us? Let's get back to Patriotism including keeping the big money spent on big dollar items MADE AND HEADQUARTERED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

Okay, off that soap box.

I have an '04 Screw 4X4 Lariat with 150K miles on it. About 50K miles have been towing trailers from 3K lbs utilities to 9K lb bumper pull travel trailer. I also have an 18' Nautic Star and when I carry my rods, I rest the reel/butt of the rods up in the top center "cubby hole" with the tips extending to the back supported by a bungee from each front seat head rest. Sounds redneck, but it works great and keeps them out of the back of the truck and locked up inside for those stops along the way to the coast. I'm sure you could do that with the Tundra as well. As far as quality of the two, i've driven/ridden in my friends 2wd Crewmax and it is definitely able to run like a scalded ape......but as far as everything else that matters in a truck, Ford is heads and tails above! Ride quality in the Tundra is Ok, but not near as comfortable as the Ford. Long-Term quality has to go to Ford because the Tundra has no experince to base anything on. Take a look at construction job sites where people use their trucks hard every day and see what their using.....

Good luck with your search and make the choice that best fits YOUR needs, not a bunch of marketing guru's....

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 PM
Barritia, First of all, nice research skills in locating the other thread. Well done.

Second, thanks for taking the time to analyze some of their "arguments." I, too, was confused by what exactly was meant by the 5.4 being a "tired" motor. Huh? The claim that the Tundra will get better real world gas mileage was also laughable to me. I appreciate someone who bought a Tundra wanting to explain/defend their decision to do so... but don't claim you get better MPG if you want to have any credibility with me.

Funny thing is, I honestly was not even considering the F-150 (because of my past issues, and general perception re: Ford quality). But, after hearing about it and reading up on it, I decided to go to the lot and test drive one (a nicely equipped Lariat -- also sat inside a Platimum, but didn't drive it). Needless to say, after my casual stop in to see what the F-150 was all about, I am now seriously struggling over my decision (and I was basically "sold" on getting the Tundra Crewmax before hand).

I am definitely not here (or over on the Tundra board) to merely "stir the pot."

I am a meandering consumer in need of direction...

Please, carry on with the commentary...

I too went to their thread on tundrasolutions and was not so surprised at the defensiveness. I am like others in this thread so far and not looking to argue or have a pissing match.

I will agree the 11k towing capacity configuration is not common but the towing features like sway control and the integrated brake controller all lend themselves to the Ford being better suited for towing any load.

I think I would rather have Ford update the tranny to the new 6 speed instead of try to go ahead and design a whole new motor to try to keep up with the bigger hp numbers of Toyota and Dodge. There is some advantage to still having a slightly smaller displacement engine (real world MPG).

One thing to also keep in mind is the rear end ratio. Not sure what Toyota is using but the tallest ratio Ford is using is 3.73, then the 3.55, 3.31, and maybe the 3.13 in the fuel efficiency package thing. I do believe the Nissan and Toyota trucks are running something like 4.10s or 4.30s to help achieve their light-to-light speed. I do commend you though on posting on both and getting surprisingly objective comments usually and not buying a truck for sprinting.

I can't think of much else for now, but I know if I could afford it, I would be rocking a Blue oval on my next truck. But until then, I LOVE my '04 FX4.

Like others have mentioned, drive them both. I doubt a dealer would let you tow on the test drive due to the break-in period and such but try to make friends with a guy in your town with the trucks you are looking at. Instead of the brand analysis, check the youtube videos, they are a little less bias.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:44 PM
If every country put up their trade barriers in response to recessions we'd have a depression all over again.

It is a global economy. Goods and services move across borders. Supply chains are global. We import goods that we see value in importing. Other countries customers import our goods that they see value in importing.

The global economy does best when trade barriers go down. Yes change is hard when jobs are lost and people have to find new careers. The first hunter/gatherers where not too happy when their neighbours took up agriculture and became more productive as a result.

Profits from publically traded companies go to shareholders. You and I can purchase shares in Toyota or Honda as can Japanese and Chinese investors in Ford and GM. Parts can and should be made by whomever can make the best parts for the cheapest price. An American supplier of parts to Toyota has an intrinsic advantage given the proximity to the factory where the part is built.

It think we should all be happy that almost all the import brands are making sizable investments in local economies.

It is a global economy and trade barriers or trade preferences simply for patriotic reasons only distort the productivity of the overall economy in question.

Ok... thats my soapbox.

Old 04-24-2009, 11:46 PM
I appreciate someone who bought a Tundra wanting to explain/defend their decision to do so... but don't claim you get better MPG if you want to have any credibility with me.

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong but I hope that wasn't directed to my post above. I didn't mention a thing about the mileage and it wouldn't do any good if I had, I've only owned the truck for two weeks so my mileage won't be accurate anyway.

Interesting choice of words when you said "explain/defend" their decision to buy a Tundra. In my opinion, anybody who would have to do either of those is not the smartest person around. I bought mine because I like the truck; damn near everything about it and MOST importantly, I'm the one making the payments on it. If anybody buys something just because it's popular or what not....well, then their an idiot.

There does seem to be a lot of close-mindedness with both the owners of the Fords and Toyotas. I don't really understand why people feel they should just rag on another brand. Are we in junior high again? I'm somebody who has owned one Chevy, four Fords, and now my Toyota. There are a ton of great things with all of those brands and at the same time there are some bad things with them. But it really isn't that hard to actually like all of them. I loved my F150, I would have most likely kept it for the long run if it hadn't gotten totaled. Since I need a truck for work I did research on the top two that I liked and ended up with the one I think is better. Does it mean that now that I drive a Tundra rather than an F150 that I believe the 150's are crap??? Hell no! They're both bad *** trucks.

Now that I've said that, I can tell you from experience that being a Tundra owner and saying something good about the competition isn't hard at all. Really it isn't. Give it a try sometime

Old 04-24-2009, 11:50 PM
Brother, you gotta believe in the F150 because it's true...

Lord, just let me help just one more person realize that Ford bets their company on trucks and puts their A-game into them...

As my sig attests, I've had a few good ones and bad ones. The higher grade (notice I didn't say, trim-level for you engineer types) F150 is simply a finer vehicle than the Toyota. I owned a 2002 F150 S'crew but wanted a change and drove a half dozen Tundras in late 2007 across the 07/08 model years. Each test drive, I had that nagging feeling that something was less than ideal. I wanted the toys on the Toyota I thought. Reality was that the 2008 F150 I bought has a better ride in city and highway, better interior and the darn thing simply fits in my garage. The Tundra CrewMax I drove was fast as lightning off the line with stability control which was a key advantage for the 08 model year, but the interior was cheaper, crash ratings lower and I couldn't fit it in my garage (or the parking deck at work safely). I've owned lots of Fords and the cheap ones were just that, cheap back in the 70's, 80's/early 90's! Since the 90's though, the large trucks are the bread and butter of Ford. Personally, my '02 ran 6 years with only basic brake pad and fluid changes before I sold it with a clear conscience to the next guy. I HAVE HAD 2 F150s NOW THAT ARE SOLID VEHICLES!

Frankly, if I could afford it (and stay married trading so soon), I'd love the 09 F150 with the 6 speed tranny and stability control. The F150 is completely beyond the Tundra with these additions!

And please remember that business is just war with numbers and lawyers. Before you give your business to the Japs, buy the Ford. Would your grandfather approve of a Toyota that drives the American car companies (that built plans, tanks and all sorts of vehicles to win WWII) out of business? F-NO!

Humbly submitted...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:20 AM
Dexx,

Maybe I'm just reading this wrong but I hope that wasn't directed to my post above. I didn't mention a thing about the mileage and it wouldn't do any good if I had, I've only owned the truck for two weeks so my mileage won't be accurate anyway.
Nope - comment wasn't directed to your post... it was directed at a comment made by a poster on the parallel Tundra board. If I buy a 5.7 [anything], I am not going to be surprised if I don't get as "good" of MPG as a 5.4 [anything].

Although the global trade debate is interesting, it might deserve its own thread topic.

Now, back to deciding where I should throw my money into an immediately depreciating asset...

Old 04-25-2009, 12:31 AM
If I buy a 5.7 [anything], I am not going to be surprised if I don't get as "good" of MPG as a 5.4 [anything].
Mileage is something I gave up a long time ago. I've owned two explorers, one V8 and one V6, and they got terrible mileage. My 150 was in the 12's then I put a Gryphon on it and it shot up to 14 & 15. Believe it or not but my Expedition was the best mileage Ford I've owned. I could get 500 miles to a tank on that thing; granted I was looking for a gas station but it would consistantly give me great mileage.

Honestly though, I'm not too concerned with the mileage anymore. When I was in my accident, all that extra money for gas and extra insurance for having a big vehicle went right out the window. I walked away from the crash and the other driver went to the hospital. I will always be a believer in big vehicles solely for their safety.

Whether you buy a Ford or a Toyota, you'll not get the greatest of mileage in either but you and your family will be a hell of a lot safer than if you bought a faggy Prius, Yarus, Focus, etc........not that there's anything wrong with that.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:36 AM
First of all let me say that I don't personnal own either truck, even though if I wasn't on 32 hours for the last year and a half I would be getting a new FX4. I'm biast to Ford, but I honestly feel that the Ford is a better all around truck, and I haven't even been in a 09 yet. My boss owns a 07 Tundra, and its a nice enough truck, I'm not going to lye, and he's happy with it, but again I like the f150's better, honestly I'm not trying to be biast.

Also this isn't 1986. The big three make quality products. Really they do, and just as good as the Japanese IMHO. I know people who've owned Toyota vehicles that gave them problem they should never of had, so their not immuned from it. A brands of vehicles have problems from time to time. I had a Acura Integra who's motor went at 124K which is nothing for a modern day vehicle to go that far. And like I said the big three know how to make quality vehicle, well the most quality vehicles they make are their full-sized trucks. Particularly Ford IMHO. Seriously Ford knows how to make a very good truck. Other manufactors try and follow suit. I bet the F150 is the most watched, tested, and mimicked truck by the competition. Its the truck others want to beat the most.

BTW I think I'm going to go try and get a test drive in a new FX4 tomorrow.

Last edited by JROC_03Cobra; 04-25-2009 at 12:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Tundra CrewMax or F-150??