2009 - 2014 F-150

Tundra CrewMax or F-150??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to see you went and drove one. now you done that there'ss only one reason you would pick the Tundra over the F150 which would be the 0-60.

So lets just look at the good and bads of each brand.

Ford 09 F150

Good
Build Quality
Ride
Interior
Trans
Frame
Crash rateings
Side curtain airbags
Trailer Sway Control
Intergrated Brake controller
Tailgate step
Side Steps
Sync
Fuel economy (I dont even wanna hear better MPG from the Tundra)
Power running boards (Yes i know platinum only but still such a cool feature)

Bad

Engine could be bigger for some people but 6.2 will solve that.
Ford Bad reputation (yes i know they are rated better quality than toyota and honda but some people still see them as bad so it's not a good thing)
Not enough choice in vehicle confirguration

2009 Tundra

Good

Power (really shines in 0-60)

Bad

Interior lets the truck down big time
MPG
Poor safty rateings
Crappy Frame
Numerous problems (This is not me who has had these problems but from the Tundra site it's self qouted from a Tundra owner)
Crappy paint
Thin sheetmetal
Exploding diffs
Plastic interior
tailgates
Camshafts
Bad torque convertors. (Again not my opinion but these seem to be a few issues of the tundra)

Old 04-25-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
The Tundra may emerge to be an ok truck, but here is my observation. Take a look around at the lumber yards, work places, even boat ramps. Most of the trucks are Fords. Ford appears to have most of the commercial market. I love my F-150, but I am not going to discredit another fine truck where credit it due. The Tundra is a truck that when you look into driveways, they aren't worked as much. They usually used to tow a boat, take the kids out ect on the weekends. The same is for our trucks as well, but I see far more F-150s actually being used as work trucks or as company vehicles for the manager/owner. Both are great trucks, but in different areas. The Tundra is too new to talk about reliability, becuase from what I have seen, Toyota's trucks are not as good on quality as their cars and rank poorest in some areas in fuel economy. Ford, well they have had their share of quality issues, but look at the track record and its hard to deny. The F-150 is the most popular truck, and it still continues to beat the other manufacterers sales. Persoanlly, I'd take the F-150 just becuase it is a solid truck, but I would get a Supercrew with the 6.5' bed for more room in your situation. Good luck with your choice!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:25 AM
When searching for my new truck, I wanted to like the Tundra. I owned a Tacoma from 95' to 05' and a IS 350 from 06' -09' with no problems. When I drove the Tundra it just didn't feel right. Sure it had great power, but the ride and drive was just okay. The interior had much to be desired and I left dissapointed When I drove the 09 F150 I fell in love. The interior was on par with my soon to be traded in Lexus and it reaked of quality. The ride and drive left me impressed and I even thought the power was good. The Sony radio rocks and I really like the Sync. Needless to say I bought the F 150 and after 3 months and 5,000 miles, I am very happy with my choice.

There is a truck for everybody, I just so happens the 09 F 150 is for me.

Last edited by pkvir; 04-25-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:52 AM
Remember the pics of when they were building that new toyota truck plant down in texas? The construction site was littered with F-Series trucks. Even FMC themselves mentioned this as it was happening.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:55 AM
I can solve this with two words...

MAN STEP

Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Drdudsads

Last edited by Drdudsads; 06-22-2011 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Wv-150

How about some thoughts from a Toyota owner.
My new F-150 should arrive next week. Guess what I am trading in? a Toyota. I had a 07 reg. cab trundra. A nice truck but not quite happy with it. Doors too large to get out comfortable. It is a early production and I worried for a long time if a camshaft would break.Several did.Or a transmission failure as happened to some.That part came true.A terrible whinning in fifth gear.Planetary gear set in trans.Rough ride.Very,very fast and good gas mileage.Around 18 to 19 mpg mostly highway driving.I do like the sequential shifter which the ford does not have.The Tundra with the 5.7 has 4.30 gears. That makes it quick.The Tunda is nice but too large. I have had several Fords and Toyotas. I had trouble with my 97 and 99 F150s so I went to a new Tundra in 2000. The first generation Tundras were great. I don't think the newest generation is nearly as well built or reliable. I think competition has caused Ford to greatly improve their trucks and I think they are the best now so that is what I am going with.
The Ford just feels better to me.Good ride,quiet cab,decent power,fair mpg's.and the reliability rating have been better than the tundra. I would have stayed with Toyota the Tacoma is a far better truck than the tundra.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by WV-150
How about some thoughts from a Toyota owner.
My new F-150 should arrive next week. Guess what I am trading in? a Toyota. I had a 07 reg. cab trundra. A nice truck but not quite happy with it. Doors too large to get out comfortable. It is a early production and I worried for a long time if a camshaft would break.Several did.Or a transmission failure as happened to some.That part came true.A terrible whinning in fifth gear.Planetary gear set in trans.Rough ride.Very,very fast and good gas mileage.Around 18 to 19 mpg mostly highway driving.I do like the sequential shifter which the ford does not have.The Tundra with the 5.7 has 4.30 gears. That makes it quick.The Tunda is nice but too large. I have had several Fords and Toyotas. I had trouble with my 97 and 99 F150s so I went to a new Tundra in 2000. The first generation Tundras were great. I don't think the newest generation is nearly as well built or reliable. I think competition has caused Ford to greatly improve their trucks and I think they are the best now so that is what I am going with.
The Ford just feels better to me.Good ride,quiet cab,decent power,fair mpg's.and the reliability rating have been better than the tundra. I would have stayed with Toyota the Tacoma is a far better truck than the tundra.
Tell us about your upcoming F 150. What model? Options?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 04-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
Why does this always get posted in these threads? It wasn't too long ago that the F150 moved around like that. Like say, ohhh, from '03 down.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Wow - never seen that youtube link re: bed bouncing. That's pretty interesting.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Coming to a Ford forum asking about the F-150 is like walking into Starbucks and asking people if they like to drink coffee, but I understand your dilema.

I tried for a few months to talk myself into the Tundra, having owned exclusivley foriegn cars for many years now and being totally satisfied. I have owned a few US trucks (2 Fords, 1 Dodge, 1 GMC) and have had good luck with them exept for my last one (GMC). After reading side by side reviews, specs and consumer reports, I went with the Ford just three days ago..

Drive them both, but when you have the side by side Tundra vs. Ford data laid out to make a serious choice, I think you'll see what I saw.

Last edited by Lorax; 04-26-2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Congrats on the new ride.

Here is the parallel discussion over on the Tundra board (for those interested in seeing what the others are saying):

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...150-or-tundra/

Old 04-26-2009, 11:43 AM
Question Maybe in '96 and below, not in '97 or '98 anyways.

Strange, I owned both a 1997 and 1998 F-150, both SuperCab 4x4's, for 7 years or so. Neither of them ever exhibited bed shake of any kind. Perhaps the 1996 and below models had issues, I've absolutely no idea. But my '97 and '98 were rock solid trucks - in fact they both were MUCH quieter than my 2004.

The 2004 was an absolute joke in the "quiet steel; we have a very quiet truck" bs department, it was as if they had reversed their engineering from previous years in that regard. They seemed to have fixed that in my 2009 PLAT, nice and quiet again like my '97&'98, here's hoping it stays that way.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Strange, I owned both a 1997 and 1998 F-150, both SuperCab 4x4's, for 7 years or so. Neither of them ever exhibited bed shake of any kind. Perhaps the 1996 and below models had issues, I've absolutely no idea. But my '97 and '98 were rock solid trucks - in fact they both were MUCH quieter than my 2004.

The 2004 was an absolute joke in the "quiet steel; we have a very quiet truck" bs department, it was as if they had reversed their engineering from previous years in that regard. They seemed to have fixed that in my 2009 PLAT, nice and quiet again like my '97&'98, here's hoping it stays that way.
NO bed shake? Really? The frame under my '04 is 9X stiffer then it was in '03 and my box moves. It's a safe bet the box on your '97 and '98 moved, and much more then mine.

As for the interior noise, I had an '03 as a loaner about 3 years ago when I had the butyl pad removed. Compared to my '04 it felt like I was driving a tin can. I could count every crack in the road, and bumps would almost jerk the wheel out of my hand. I was VERY happy to give it back to the dealer and get mine back. I only had it for one day, I couldn't imagine living with it for 4-5 years.

Quick Reply: Tundra CrewMax or F-150??