2009 - 2014 F-150

Tundra CrewMax or F-150??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wv-150

Should arrive wednesday or thursday. XLT supercab 4.6 three valve, Limited slip 3.73 axle ratio, 6 disc cd with sattelite radio, Stone Green/Pubelo Gold, sync,a fairly well dressed up truck.This truck just feels right.In august I will be taking a 7,000 mile trip out west so I will see if the 4.6 has the guts when I get to the rockies.I live in a very hilly terrian but not at 12,000 to 14,000 feet.
I drove the 5.4 with 3.55 axle and 4.6 three valve with 3.73 axle and could not notice a huge difference in power.I am sure there is a big difference when pulling a trailer but 98% of my driving is not pulling a trailer. One other reason I wanted the 4.6 is the GVWR is 6950 instead of 7200. It rides better.
My Tundra was a TRD and it rode very stiff. It just did not feel comfortable.
Both are good trucks but I like the ford better. I buy a new truck every two years and if I don't like the F150 I will buy a Tacoma. The only way I would consider onother tundra is if they quit making them so huge.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:10 AM
So did you make any choices yet? I read some more of the posts this morning and i notice that a lot of the guys on there are compaireing the last generation of f150's! There's only a couple of people who are compaire to the 09's. They are getting a lot of the figures of the 08's confussed with the 09's and they are nothing like each other. I think if they went and drove a 09 they would be surprised at how quick it really is. It has no problem staying with a hemi ram so are they now classed as slow? They still seem to think the Tundra gets better MPG!! i get 18-19mpg doing 70mph all day long. Thats a fully loaded truck 4x4 with 6.5ft bed. I think that great. They seem to think a truck that weights the same with a bigger engine and worse aerodynamics gets better MPG. It also seem that that have nothing they can really bash the 09 for because they are now bashing the buttons on the Ford because they cant be used with gloves on??? What next! or nav unit sucks because it cant be used with gloves on? Who the hell wears gloves in a truck. Im in construction and use my truck everyday for work and i never wear gloves when im driveing my truck.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:57 AM
Wv-150

I used to view a tundra forum a lot when the new generation came out. The Tundra was bashed very bad mostly by Chevy owners and a few Ford owners. I think Chevy owners felt a real threat from Toyota with a product that was a great truck. That seems to be happening with the new F150.
The 09 F150 reliabilty is equal if not a little better than the Tundra. That is a threat to some.
All of them {Ford,Chevy and Dodge}are far better vehicles than they were 20 years ago thanks to Honda and Toyota competition.I think Toyota surpassed Ford with their first generation Tundra now things have flipped and Ford has surpassed the Tundra with the 09 F150.These trucks will just keep getting better as they compete for the better truck.
Hope to pick up my new F150 this week.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I'd just get a superduty. Which is a real truck.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I was in your same shoes back in 07 (b4 we even new about the 09) and I had to make a decision. The good thing about it was that I wasn't in a rush and had plenty of time to research. I think there both workaholics but I personally like the looks of the 150 better. IMHO the 150 has the best interior for a truck (It doesnt even look like a truck) and that's where you spend most of your time. I also love the styling of the exterior. I think they both will tow well and the only advantage that I can see the Toyota having over the Ford is speed. Needless to say, I went with a 150 and I'm glad I did. Now when I look back I think I would have been unhappy with the Tundra, especially the interior.

One other thing to add: Ford has so many different trucks with configurations to choose from in the 150 family.

Go with the 150 and Post Pics.

One thing that the Tundra has the I wish the 150 had was the rear sliding window. If I'm not mistaken the whole window on a Tundra can roll down. Now that's cool.

Last edited by pmason718; 04-27-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by pmason718
... I think they both will tow well and the only advantage that I can see the Toyota having over the Ford is speed. Needless to say, I went with a 150 and I'm glad I did. Now when I look back I think I would have been unhappy with the Tundra, especially the interior.

One other thing to add: Ford has so many different trucks with configurations to choose from in the 150 family.

Go with the 150 and Post Pics.

One thing that the Tundra has the I wish the 150 had was the rear sliding window. If I'm not mistaken the whole window on a Tundra can roll down. Now that's cool.
It seems as if the one cornerstone that the tundra owners claim to have is just raw power. IMO without proper application power is useless. The F-150 will just as good, if no better due to its IBC and sway control. I cannot comment on the brakes of the Toyota vs Ford but I do think my F-150 has more than adequate brakes...not sure how much shorter people need to stop, crap slides off of my seats all the time.

I thought the full rear sliding window would be a cool until I rode in a Tundra with the windows down and got pelted with tons of leaves that were in the bed. It wasn't like the tree was losing leaves because we don't have a "fall" season. We were driving 35mph and tons of leaves flew in the truck hit us all and those that didn't hit the passengers all hit the windshield and went into the dash to remain forever. Not a sweet idea IMO.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
It seems as if the one cornerstone that the tundra owners claim to have is just raw power. IMO without proper application power is useless. The F-150 will just as good, if no better due to its IBC and sway control. I cannot comment on the brakes of the Toyota vs Ford but I do think my F-150 has more than adequate brakes...not sure how much shorter people need to stop, crap slides off of my seats all the time.

I thought the full rear sliding window would be a cool until I rode in a Tundra with the windows down and got pelted with tons of leaves that were in the bed. It wasn't like the tree was losing leaves because we don't have a "fall" season. We were driving 35mph and tons of leaves flew in the truck hit us all and those that didn't hit the passengers all hit the windshield and went into the dash to remain forever. Not a sweet idea IMO.
The thing with the brakes it it's more to do with your tires than the brakes. If you had budget tires it wont mater how good your brakes are because you aint got the traction you need so that the brakes dont look up. I aint had my ABS cut in once yet even with some very hard brakeing and im 100% sure the tires are the reason for this. Our Durango's ABS cuts on and off all the time under har brakeing and it was due to the tires. Any truck or car will stop well as long as you have the grip you need. Dont forget all brakes will lock up no matter how small they are.

Also it funny you say that about the Tundra and stuff blowing in the back window. A woman was driveing down the road in one today and i was behind her and she had loads of them oak tree helicopter things blowing about in her bed and most of them were going through the back window lol. I ont undertsand the reason for the whole window having to go down but if you want crap from your bed in yout truck it's a good way of getting it in there.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Also it funny you say that about the Tundra and stuff blowing in the back window. A woman was driveing down the road in one today and i was behind her and she had loads of them oak tree helicopter things blowing about in her bed and most of them were going through the back window lol. I ont undertsand the reason for the whole window having to go down but if you want crap from your bed in yout truck it's a good way of getting it in there.
I had the same problem on my 150 when my rear slider was open along with the sunroof. I learned the hard way but after that I would always drive a couple miles to let the bed clear out before opening that back slider.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM
Still no firm decision. That said, a local Ford dealer is faxing me his (alleged) invoices for 17 of his Crewmax units he has on the lot...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by baylorbrad
Still no firm decision. That said, a local Ford dealer is faxing me his (alleged) invoices for 17 of his Crewmax units he has on the lot...
Not being a @ss at all but the Ford has 3 cabs: regular, supercab (extended with 3/4 size suicide doors), and the supercrew (crew cab, Screw, etc). Just confirming those number from the dealer is on supercrew cabs (that is what you want right?)

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM
I don't see where you could go wrong with either one. It all comes down to personal taste. For me, I wanted something with a few extra gadgets and a more plush ride. I liked the Toyota (very powerful motor), Really liked the ride, love thier reliability which you just can't deny (even though it was rated slightly under the Ford in the stuff I dug up) but it came down to that quiet ride of the F-150, the extras in the packages offered and the 5.4 motor which will more than suffice for what I do with it, which is maximum tow of around 3000lbs maybe three times a year. The interiors were nice, very "plastic-y" but all cars are that way any more. The F-150 seemed to have the color scheme and very different dash and interior I found inteseting. My overall score went to Ford personally and from all that I had read, they gave a slight edge to the Ford also.

I think anyone with either one of these trucks would be happy.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Interesting. Always thought that was the 1 thing (whole sliding window) that the toy truck had over the 150. Just like the BassMouth, excuse me, Ram has heated steering wheel and remote start heated seats/wheel. Those are the only things I've heard of on any of the other trucks that I thought would be cool if the 150 had 'em. Competition always makes things better, otherwise who would innovate if they were the only choice? Case in point, the craptacularness that is Vista...

Old 04-27-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Interesting. Always thought that was the 1 thing (whole sliding window) that the toy truck had over the 150. Just like the BassMouth, excuse me, Ram has heated steering wheel and remote start heated seats/wheel. Those are the only things I've heard of on any of the other trucks that I thought would be cool if the 150 had 'em. Competition always makes things better, otherwise who would innovate if they were the only choice? Case in point, the craptacularness that is Vista...
Hey i love Vista lol. Had it for about 2 years now and it's been 100%. Not one crash and not one problems with drivers and programs. The problem with Vista was hardly any PC's were designed to run vista but i purchased one that was. Alienware Sentia M3450 and it really has been flawless. I know it dont normally happen by i have been very lucky with it.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Suspended
heres the reason why i wont buy a tundra.
1) tail gate issues, im sure their fixed now, but if you can't build a dam tail gate how can you build a good truck
2) i heard the engine isn't that great, sure its fast, if you want something fast get a car IMO, i drive my trucks hard, but i do take care of them so i need something that will last for atleast 5 or 6 years. i put about 18-20k a year on my truck.
3) the frames being replaced, heard about it recently, if i ever had a truck that needed a new frame due to a factory defect i would demand my money back for the truck and buy a different brand and never look back
4) i think i read that body panels wrinkling, that can be expensive to fix
5) interior looks crappy IMO, as bad as dodges.

before buying my f150 i was actually sold on getting a 4 door tacoma trd sport, only reason i didn't was because i actually got my truck cheaper than the tacoma. alot of dealers around here have 11k-12k off sticker advertised, i dont really see that big of rebates on tundras.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Tundra Vs. 150

I had the old Tundra - the 2006 crew cab. I liked the truck. I used to tow my 24ft. enclosed trailer with a race car inside it, approximately 6000 lbs. I use a distribution hitch and an anti-sway controller (which I still use and recommend for anything that the wind can catch).

It did the job, but more power would have been nice. I hated the interior and after about 30k, a lot of squeaks and rattles were appearing. The interior materials were really cheap - bad plastics and cloth. The stereo looked like it was from 1985. The reliability was stellar. Not one problem in the 3 years that I had it.

The lease expired and I went to try the new Tundra crew 5.7 and the 150 crew 5.4.

The Tundra had gobs of power, but it wasn't a smooth power delivery - very jerky.
The ride was very harsh and the interior reminded me of my old Tundra: cheap, easily scratchable, and just not very appealing. While driving the Tundra, I felt like I was way too high up - like driving a big rig. The bed on the crew was much too small.
The bed bounce thing concerned me so I wrote one of the posters of his own Tundra on You tube. He hated the truck and couldn’t wait to get rid of it.

The Ford that I drove (and eventually bought) was an XLT crew 5.4. It has the chrome package and the Sync. The ride was much smoother and quieter. The interior materials were much nicer. I installed my own brake controller where the factory one would have been and it works fine and looks pretty good, too.

Some nice additional features of the Ford over the Toyota: backup sensors - very nice for not crashing into stuff.
Sync - thought that I wouldn't like it but it's AWESOME with my ipod and blue tooth phone.

Options that I wish that I got: I don't have a sliding rear window and the rear window that I have doesn't have a defroster - this sucks when it snows. The Toyota has a sliding rear glass window that I never used, but it was cool, never the less.
I got the 40-20-40 seat. Get the captain's chairs with the bigger console. The console isn't big enough. I’m never going to use the “jump seat”.
The rear view camera would have been nice - but make sure you get it with the truck, otherwise it's waaay too expensive.
I'm going to put in an amplifier and replace the speakers for my drug dealer sound that I require on all of my vehicles, but I'm keeping the Ford stereo so that I can keep the Sync.

I’ve had mine for 5,000 miles and I’m happy with my decision. Drive ‘em both and get the best deal that you can.

Last edited by ferris11; 04-28-2009 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Tundra CrewMax or F-150??