2009 - 2014 F-150

Tundra CrewMax or F-150??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And LMAO Toyota's new premium package is called Platinum? haha really Toyota, come up with your own names. Thats just a blatant rip off.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
I could care less about spankin Tundras....but showin a little 4 banger civic your taillights when you out weigh him by 2000lbs is the best feeling ever.
Only problem was I had to have a programmer to do it. With the damn limiter on my 150, this little twerp made me look like a complete tool.

To me, this is not contest F150 all the way. First of all, theres the buy american thing. Support your local economy, not that of a foreign country.
Local economy??? How many jobs do you think Toyota produces in the US? Although the profits go outside this country, there are still thousands and thousands of Americans making a good living working for Toyota; and I assume they buy things so there you go with the local economy.

Second, the interior on these new Tundra's are junk. Almost to the point where we are starting to tell customers to go someplace else if they want new door speakers because the panels are so flimsy and its not worth the possibility of a damage claim.
I'll admit the upper levels of F150's interiors far surpass that of the Tundra but the XLT and down models are very plain in my opinion. I would say cheap as well. I had many many rattles and things coming loose on my 150 so it happens to everybody.

Keep in mind that Toyota's quality reputation is for their cars. Their trucks have had numerous quality issues...especially with the frame rotting out. Hell, the frame rails in my 67 Mustang look better then the frames on a 2001 Tundra. I mean, Toyota had to BUY BACK its trucks from its customers on a massive scale. That right there speaks for itself.
As mentioned multiple times in this thread, there are both good and bad things about the Toyotas but when you bring back the instances of a model year that's damn near a decade old, it just doesn't help. Toyota hasn't been building trucks as long as Ford so I'm sure there are many things they are going to have to work out for the long haul. That being said, with Ford being top of the game for the last 3+ decades, by that reasoning there should be no issues what so ever with any of their trucks. The F series is the best selling truck of all time; they should be so good at it there should be zero issues being brought up on this forum. Ford's got it taken care of.

And LMAO Toyota's new premium package is called Platinum? haha really Toyota, come up with your own names. Thats just a blatant rip off.
Yeah you're probably right on this one. I guess Ford owns the rights to that name. Just like the Limited Editions; only they can have a trim level with that name; oh wait, many others use that trim for their vehicles as well

It really just cracks me up. A few of you on here get so defensive about this situation. Just be happy with what you bought. I highly doubt this is the case but one of the guys on this thread just pulls facts out of his *** and is so defensive at the same time yet from some pictures I've seen he's got himself a Platinum. Geez, you just bought one of the top trucks ever made, quite looking like a jealous 10 year old and enjoy the bad *** ride you have. It's actually pretty comical in my opinion.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by dexx00420
Only problem was I had to have a programmer to do it. With the damn limiter on my 150, this little twerp made me look like a complete tool.

Local economy??? How many jobs do you think Toyota produces in the US? Although the profits go outside this country, there are still thousands and thousands of Americans making a good living working for Toyota; and I assume they buy things so there you go with the local economy.

Okay...and look how many jobs were losing because of all of our dependency on foreign vechicles. 21,000 alone just for GM...a lot of which are in the State of Michigan (my home state).
I'll admit the upper levels of F150's interiors far surpass that of the Tundra but the XLT and down models are very plain in my opinion. I would say cheap as well. I had many many rattles and things coming loose on my 150 so it happens to everybody.

Yeah, it does happen to everybody, but when your best interior is as good as fords work truck interior...something is wrong.

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, there are both good and bad things about the Toyotas but when you bring back the instances of a model year that's damn near a decade old, it just doesn't help. Toyota hasn't been building trucks as long as Ford so I'm sure there are many things they are going to have to work out for the long haul. That being said, with Ford being top of the game for the last 3+ decades, by that reasoning there should be no issues what so ever with any of their trucks. The F series is the best selling truck of all time; they should be so good at it there should be zero issues being brought up on this forum. Ford's got it taken care of.

There will always be problems...but it doesnt seem as though Fords are nearly as catastrophic as others. And to my knowledge, ford has never offered a buy back for trucks it produced over a 6 year span...

Yeah you're probably right on this one. I guess Ford owns the rights to that name. Just like the Limited Editions; only they can have a trim level with that name; oh wait, many others use that trim for their vehicles as well

It really just cracks me up. A few of you on here get so defensive about this situation. Just be happy with what you bought. I highly doubt this is the case but one of the guys on this thread just pulls facts out of his *** and is so defensive at the same time yet from some pictures I've seen he's got himself a Platinum. Geez, you just bought one of the top trucks ever made, quite looking like a jealous 10 year old and enjoy the bad *** ride you have. It's actually pretty comical in my opinion.
To each his own I guess...

Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by rado888
Hey. Funny how this came out today:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/inve...50/detail.html

What do you think?
That was nice huh. You have to feel bad for the owners of those trucks. I wasn't sure which way I was going to go, but after the videos at the proving grounds, my mind was made up

Old 05-01-2009, 08:07 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ArtM
Cause? I'm unaware I have any cause - other than to call people on it when they try and pass their subjective preferences off as fact. Or when they spread inaccurate information. And I've pointed that out clearly enough for those that have the ability to see it.
Your cause is to defend the Tundra, what your research proved was the best vehicle for your money. Just as many people @ TS "try and pass their subjective preferences off as fact."

I should have been more clear, my post was not directed at you or any other specific person. I just read the couple TS threads.

I certainly don't. I try to stay within Toyota's recommended max specs. I don't know what those are for the 09 F-150. That's why I asked. I still don't know the actual numbers as they come from Ford. Dunesgirl mentions it can legally tow as much or more than the Tundra, but I was looking for the numbers. Guess I'll shop the Ford website and see if they are available.
You can download the 2009 Ford towing guide here. Ford claims you can get a 4x4 Supercrew to tow 11k pounds, but most are rating in the 9-10k pound range due to options and equipment. I recommend people staying within all the OEM ratings for their vehicles. The reason I said the OEM tow rating claims should be ignored is because almost everyone will exceed their vehicle's GVWR well before GCWR and said tow rating. Power Kid showed an interesting example. Don't think Toyota or others are any better.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Still makes me laugh that people want their trucks to be race cars! Are you 16 years old? Do you see the Civic guy in his 4 banger put a 6000lb trailer on his car trying to be like a truck but you wanna be a racer like the civic guy lol and if he does try and connect a trailer watch him even try and pull away from the lights. If you want a race car get a race car. That being said my wife has a Mazda 6 v6 sport and my truck can stay with her without to much effort. Yeah she will pull away a little bit further from me but there's sod all in it. Why would you need a faster 0-60 than that. If your that immature that you want to race every car from a stop light then go get ya self a Tundra. I been driving over 15 years and i can count on my hands the amount of time i have had someone try and race me from the lights but it seem like a few people go and and do laps waiting for a red light race. You have a truck you fool and who cares if you get beat by a $2000 car. Just makes me laugh that people who buy a truck moan about it being slow even when they are doing mid 7's to 60 from new!

Well just thought i would add this. Just came across it when looking up about the Chrysler bankruptcy.

I thought Toyota said they didn't need bailing out? Seems like they trying to keep things quite about having problems also.

Toyota financial unit asks to borrow public money
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...001028,00.html

Last edited by Barritia; 05-01-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM
For what it's worth... Toyota called their Sequioa "Platinum" last year.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by ArtM
Dunesgirl, that's a nice write-up - especially seeing it's your second post here. You're obviously not a forum newbie, so where do you usually hang out?
Thank you. I've been around forums for years. Any vehicle I've ever owned and needed information about, I've been active in a dedicated forum for it. This would include TCCOA (Thunderbird site), DakotaUSA, FSB (Bronco), as well as Autoweek, and a couple of different ATV sites, three of which I have been a moderator on at one time or another. I have followed this site and another Ford site for years as well, but never had the impulse to join until now. I would have soon enough though, just waiting until I get close to buying a new truck.

From Sundevil2188:
Okay...and look how many jobs were losing because of all of our dependency on foreign vechicles. 21,000 alone just for GM...a lot of which are in the State of Michigan (my home state).
I understand that Michigan is extremely hard-hit by the Big 3 having to do massive layoffs. I work at one of the suppliers, we design and assemble airbags (driver, passenger, side impact, curtain, etc.), and we've had to do layoffs as well. We supply product to a lot of companies, including GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Nissan, and Honda. So obviously, if something were to happen to any car-maker, we'd be affected too.

That being said, GM has built mediocre cars for a long time. Not just from a quality standpoint, but from performance, fun-to-drive, and resale value standpoints. It's their own fault (not blaming the blue-collar guys) for losing marketshare to Toyota and Honda, who have built cars that the American public preferred to buy for various reasons over the past twenty years or longer. GM's cash cows were their trucks and SUVs, that's where they focused most of their effort. This includes Ford and Chrysler as well, building mediocre cars and focusing more on what was making money for them. Their cars were widely bought by fleet and rental agencies, something that's hurt their resale value for a long time. And up until the past few years or so, they haven't had a viable contender (IMO) in any car segment. That's changing now, but it will still take a long time for the American people to realize it.

From Barritia:
Now i fully understand why i see hardly any Toyota trucks on the road more than 5 years old. They been having these problem with the hilux since it first came out and they clearly have no intention of fixing the problem.
No intention of fixing the problem? Well, I'm not sure what Toyota can do to fix rusted out frames on trucks. So they did the next best thing and bought those vehicles back at over blue book value. I will agree that Toyota has had problems with rusted out beds from back in the 1980's, but very rarely hear of rusted out frames then. And I see older Toyota pickups and Tacomas all over the place. Three of my friends have one. I would never own one; hence why I had a Dakota. I bought my '99 for less money with half as many miles than my friend bought his '96 for, and these trucks are both regular cab short bed 4x4 trucks with a v6 5spd. Purchases were less than two months apart. I dislike the seating position and overall fit and finish of these pre-2005 Tacomas. Especially dislike the hollow clang sound those thin doors make when you shut them (on all pre-2005 Tacomas) akin to 1980's cars and trucks. Nevertheless, a lot of people do like these trucks. I live in a place with a harsh winter as well and still see them all over the place.

At any rate, I very highly doubt that the 2nd gen Tundra will have these problems as I believe I read somewhere that Toyota has found that someone, somewhere down the line used the wrong coating material on those frames from the factory.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by johnyb777
For what it's worth... Toyota called their Sequioa "Platinum" last year.
For what it's worth Mitsubishi, Nissan and Cadillac have already used "Platinum" as a trim level as well.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by 8iron
For what it's worth Mitsubishi, Nissan and Cadillac have already used "Platinum" as a trim level as well.
Those BASTARDS!!! Now those companies are copying Ford too; right Barritia?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Haha, people over at TS have become so defensive of their "truck" that they closed the thread! PRICELESS!!!

I've sat in an '09 FX4...I was in heaven compared to my '98 XL V6. Then I sat in a Tundra...and wondered where is the so called great Tundra at? Oh, I'm sitting in it. And I thought I was in a sandbox. Crappy layout, crappy seats. Ugh.... I havent driven one of have any near the experience and of you do, but why are people so hyped up on this "Tundra" that has been around for a whole 2 years?!?!!? And they say these 1st gen Tundras have 300,000+, well the 1st gen and 2nd gen trucks are totally different. The only thing they have in common is the badge! Hell, our Fire Station has a 2002 F-450 PSD Ambulance Package with 380,000 miles ON THE SAME ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION. It's on its fourth turbo, but then again, racing through intersections trying to save someones life, thats pretty tough if you ask me.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by dexx00420
Those BASTARDS!!! Now those companies are copying Ford too; right Barritia?
Dont remember saying anything about that subject did i? Think you need to go back and re read my posts. I have no problem with anyone calling a model platinum just like i have no problem with companys all using the term RS, GT, GTI, GTE and so on. It's only to define it's trim level. Im almost certain the Platinum version of the Toyota wont be a spot on the Fords. Perhaps they would be better calling it a Copper or Silver or even better, Rust Edition!

Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Rust Edition!
ROFLMAO!!

That reminds me of the old joke..

"on a quiet day you can hear a chevy rust" Maybe we need to add the Toys to that...hmmmmm.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:36 PM
Decision has been (preliminarily) made.

Not sure whether anyone is still following the thread or not, but looks like after weighing all things, test driving both..... baylorbrad will soon roll in a new SCREW 09' F-150.

Pretty surprising I've made this decision given I was fairly sold on the Tundra Crewmax. I still like the Crewmax - a lot - but just not as much as I (personally) prefer the F-150. Truth is, I'll still look fondly on the Tundra's as a powerhouse truck machine. But in the end, I am one of those marginal buyers who was swayed by the new features and all around versatility of the 09 F-150.

Thanks to all for the healthy debate/discussion. I found it very informative (and at times, quite funny).

I'll return with pictures, etc. after I am through beating on some dealerships for the best price/truck combo.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Congrats man, you won't be disappointed... I love how the people at TS closed te thread LMFAO

Quick Reply: Tundra CrewMax or F-150??