2009 - 2014 F-150

Project sub upgraded

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be honest the Fronts work very well and prob aint worth changeing for most people. I read a bit about the cleensweep but didnt want to go to overboard with the setup and wanted to keep it as simple as possible so that it was easy to remove. The quality of the pre out signal from the head unit to the JL amp seems pretty good for a factory setup and i am very impressed with how the package is working at the moment.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:35 AM
I am looking to replace the front and rear speakers with JL Audio's. I am trying to figure out the wiring of the amp situation for them as well as for the sub. I've not decided on the brand of sub yet. I have a single Rockford Fosgate 10 from my old FX4 as well as two Boston Ascoutic amps. I would like my new Platinum to have the same setup as I did with my FX 4, minus the Kenwood 8120 NAV/headunit. Most importantly do this without cutting and wiring harnesses.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Im not 100% sure if the head unit powers the fronts and rears or if there is a dedeicated amp. If you really want that extra DB then it's def worth the upgrade. but how hard it is i have no idea.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I guess research and patients is the key, I may have to call on you for some more of your knowledge since you lead the way so far with the sub upgrade

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
No problem. Thats what the thread is here for. I thought it would be silly to buy a 09 screw then loose the rear seating and storage area when i could make it removable so that the original sub can be put back in place in no more than 2 mins. I change mine out this morning for the factory unit as it is in the dealers all day getting a seat tear fixed.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by Black Platinum
Great....Have you thought about amping the front and rear? Are you using JL Audios Cleensweep or have you used it before?
the JL cleansweep has had some mixed reviews...i have heard good and bad about it. I went with the RF 3sixty.2 processor because of its bluetooth capabilities...if your looking into the cleansweep check out the RF as well

Old 05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
cdiddy you are right, the FR 3sixty looks like the path to take. Need to figure out how to get the harness to work.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by cdiddy4224
the JL cleansweep has had some mixed reviews...i have heard good and bad about it. I went with the RF 3sixty.2 processor because of its bluetooth capabilities...if your looking into the cleansweep check out the RF as well
Whats the deal with RF these days. I remember back about 5 years ago they used to be the stuff to have but all the audio forums now are saying dont buy their stuff as it aint as good as it was. That was the reason i went for the JL stuff.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:30 PM
JL is good and own alot of their stuff but I have RF woofers that are a beasts. It really depends on the product. For instance, i use Boston Ascoustic amps because they can go into tight places and cool extemely well without alot of air flow. As far as the 3sixty, everything I have read, it is the real deal. Time will tell.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Depends on what your looking for with RF...their subs are pretty good, amps are decent and that processor is awesome...i had a pair of RF comps in an old car and thought they good until i heard my Focals. Im an alpine guy personally, but every company makes one component better than another. Thats why its a bad thing to be so brand loyal and go with all one brand when doing a stereo, when one company make better speakers and another makes great amps and so on

Old 05-06-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by cdiddy4224
Depends on what your looking for with RF...their subs are pretty good, amps are decent and that processor is awesome...i had a pair of RF comps in an old car and thought they good until i heard my Focals. Im an alpine guy personally, but every company makes one component better than another. Thats why its a bad thing to be so brand loyal and go with all one brand when doing a stereo, when one company make better speakers and another makes great amps and so on
Yeah same things goes for home audio. I started at looking at some fairly expensive home audio speakers and went from a budget of $2000 to over $5000. There's so many brands and they make so many models that when your thinking of spending so much you then see another brand thats a little bit better and is only a little bit more money. Then you see another brand thats a little bit better than the last and next thing you know your spending way more than you really wanted to lol. Same thing happend with the JL setup i was looking at. I went from Kicker to Kenowood to Sony to Alpine to Memphis audio to RF and last but not least JL Audio. It's never ending.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:41 PM
cDiddy, where did you mount your amp??

Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

nvm.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Barritia
The good thing about going with a qulity brand like JL Audio is you get what it says on the box. If it says 500w it will be putting out 500w. I see so many amps in the shop that had the same power rateing as the JL Amp at less than half the size. It's tempting to go for a amp at 1/5th the cost because it displays the same power output so dont get sucked in. I nearly did when i see a Kenwood amp with 600w slapped on the front. Looked at the fuse and it was a 20amp lol. So it was lucky to be putting out 250watts let alone 600w.
While JL does make quality products, they are nowhere near worth the pricetag. You are still essentially paying for the name. There are quality products available for a fraction of the price that will outperform JL Audio. For example I paid $280 for my one of my Cadence amplifiers, and it came with a 5 year warranty. It is rated at 1000 watts RMS and benched at 1225.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
While JL does make quality products, they are nowhere near worth the pricetag. You are still essentially paying for the name. There are quality products available for a fraction of the price that will outperform JL Audio. For example I paid $280 for my one of my Cadence amplifiers, and it came with a 5 year warranty. It is rated at 1000 watts RMS and benched at 1225.
Someone else that has seen the light! JL makes good stuff, don't get me wrong either, but there is a line between good stuff at a reasonable price and junk at about the same price. For that matter there is also junk at ridiculous prices (rockford fosgate, the new stuff anyway, MTX, audiobahn, etc.)

Quick Reply: Project sub upgraded