2009 - 2014 F-150

remote tailgate lock

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote tailgate lock

I am looking to get a Bakflip HD and would like to be able to lock/unlock the tailgate with remote. Has anyone done this or heard how easy it would be?

Thanks

Old 04-28-2009, 09:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes it is very simple. I would just tie into the door lock wires in the factory wire harness and run them back to a solenoid in the tailgate that activates the lock. That is how I did it in my truck, very simple and its a cool little mod. I don't know your wire colors that you will need to tie into though. If you can get a wiring schematic I could help you isolate which wires it is that you need.

Here is mine in use it even drops the tailgate from my remote. ( I have an aftermarket alarm and used the trunk button to do this with a 12v trunk popper)

Old 04-28-2009, 09:35 AM
great video, that is definitely above my skill set

Old 04-28-2009, 09:37 AM
I remember one guy with '04-'08 F150 did a nice pictorial on how to lock/unlock the tailgate using the remote. Methodology will be the same.

Cool tailgate opener mod!

Last edited by BIG_ole_TRUCK; 04-28-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by HoosierRealtor
great video, that is definitely above my skill set
the locking tail gate is really really simple don't be intimidated.

Here is a LINK to the 04-08 models and how we did it. You will just have to find the right wires with a schematic and from there it is very simple. If I were closer I would be willing to help ya out it would take less then an hour to complete.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 AM
yeah i was going to say just search the 04-08 forum because someone posted install pictures there. It is the same exact handle for 09.

I was thinking about getting one too, but I park in my garage at home, and I'm at a secure facility all day for work. So I'll just lock the handle when needed with my key. Although it might be worthwhile to get one so the gate is locked all the time so nobody steals it. We'll see.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:55 AM
i have been searching the forums all morning for this and some saleen info, not getting much back through the search but looking on the web I am more confident that is is just a little more than plug and play but I now think it is doable.

I'll check out the link, thanks for finding it for me.

I want to secure the bed when I get the Bakflip but I just did not want to keep locking it with the key

Old 04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

Ok doing a little research for ya and you will want to tie into these two wires on in the factory wiring harness channel that runs down either side of your cab.

The SuperCrew rear doors are :
Left - Green (lock) & Violet w/ gray stripe (unlock)
Right - Violet w/ Gray stripe (unlock) & yellow (lock)

You will want to make sure you get the right polarity so that the actuator will lock and unlock properly. Also you may want to consider adding a relay if you are using a high draw actuator.

I want to thank SSCULLY for helping with this info for you Steve is a great guy and huge asset to this site.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 05_sprcrw; 04-28-2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:47 PM
if you have a rmst installed in your trucks, i would use a relay and use the trunk output from the rmst so that you could lock and unlock the tail gate independently of the door locks.

could someone hook me up with a part # for this kit?

Old 04-28-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
if you have a rmst installed in your trucks, i would use a relay and use the trunk output from the rmst so that you could lock and unlock the tail gate independently of the door locks.
that makes sense so you don't wear out the tailgate actuator. but I guess you might forget if it's locked or not, versus wiring it up to the lock/unlock wires and it gets locked for sure everytime you leave your truck and lock it.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 PM

I installed a Dynolock Dynolock kit in my 2009 Platinum, I had a Pace Edwards model in my 2003 SCrew and never had a problem with it locking every time I locked the doors. There are instructions on the site as well. I will tell you the wires on my Platinum were different than the 2008's. With the help of Deano-FX4 I located the correct wires on my truck. Here is his response back to me on the wires.
Originally Posted by Deano-FX4
ok you want to look for a grey/brown (lock) and violet/grey or blue/green (unlock) in either the drivers or passengers rear door sil harness. to test them to make sure they are the right ones, they both should be sitting at ground and go to 12v when the door lock switch is pressed to lock or unlock. now make sure you test the wires first because there is a violet/grey wire that works in reverse 12v at rest and ground when activated. you don't want that.

Old 04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DeereGeff
I installed a Dynolock Dynolock kit in my 2009 Platinum, I had a Pace Edwards model in my 2003 SCrew and never had a problem with it locking every time I locked the doors. There are instructions on the site as well. I will tell you the wires on my Platinum were different than the 2008's. With the help of Deano-FX4 I located the correct wires on my truck. Here is his response back to me on the wires.
Is this the exact one you used?

http://www.dynolock.com/fofon20wac.html

I hadn't thought of doing this mod before, but now with the tailgate thefts on the rise, all the security I can get helps. I wanna make sure I get the right one though.

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by SportTractoF150; 04-29-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link
Old 04-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by 05_sprcrw
the locking tail gate is really really simple don't be intimidated.

Here is a LINK to the 04-08 models and how we did it. You will just have to find the right wires with a schematic and from there it is very simple. If I were closer I would be willing to help ya out it would take less then an hour to complete.
i printed that off, it is a big help, however, with the 09 tailgate step, the inside of the tailgate is a little different. i am finding that I cannot mount the actuator in the same way you guys did. Thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep working on it.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
this is one of the things Ford should do from the factory.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by HoosierRealtor
i printed that off, it is a big help, however, with the 09 tailgate step, the inside of the tailgate is a little different. i am finding that I cannot mount the actuator in the same way you guys did. Thanks for the offer of help, I'll keep working on it.
Actually I did use the 2008 kit with a little massaging on my Platinum with camera and Tailgate step. The only problem I had with the 08 kit was the actuator hit on the housing for the step. Once I enlarged the holes a bit and allowed the actuator to move toward the handle a little more all was good.

Quick Reply: remote tailgate lock