2009 - 2014 F-150

Test Drive - fell in love - No Sale....

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I havent bought a truck from a Ford dealer before, only a used car lot, but the only thing that I can recommend you do is sit down with the guy and write your price down on a piece of paper.

If he dont go for it, it wasnt meant to be. 40K is a lot of money these days.

People are right though, these salesman think that you are the one who's not serious, but if you are serious, and they have a bad attitude, then they arent serious about selling you the truck.

Look for another salesman and see if he/she is willing to deal. If a problem comes up that the original salesman wants the commission or says that you were his customer, then let the manager know that he wasnt being a good salesman and wasnt in your opinion trying to deal and sell you the truck.

Thats the fact, the guy wasnt dealing, but giving you a price that you already knew you would get. THATS BULL

Old 04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another option is to have someone on this site to provide an X Plan PIN that they have available. I have seen a thread or 2 regarding the x plan option. then there is no option for the dealer to try to jack you on the price.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:02 PM
I know it's been touched on a little already but I highly recommend going through the internet. It's so nice to deal with these people through email only. They come back with a bs number it's easier to be more firm through an email and even easier to just delete it and go to another one. I've had great luck going that route. Plus, they usually will knock off at least a grand for going through their department. When I bought my 150, everything had been worked out online (color, options, payment, etc.) so I basically showed up to the dealership, drove it, and signed the papers. In and out in record time with zero haggling.
Another option that I have not used but a couple family members have is autoweb. If you have a good credit union this is the way to go. I have heard nothing but good things with them and it your car gets delivered via flatbed straight to your door. The family members that have gone this route won't go any other way. It's worth checking out...

Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM
well you could also find a dealer more willing to work with you and have him do a dealer trade to get that same truck you looked at the first dealer

Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
Join a Costco or Sam's Club. Just for joining you get a member price which is Invoice plus the rebates. That should get you your price if the dealer's are really being that stingy and not haggling. My truck stickered at $49,5XX. My sale price was $39,4XX. I got it after taxes, tags, license, rebates, and 7 year/100,000 PremiumCare warranty for $43,411.

That should give you some idea of what to expect. Roughly 20% off. You mentioned a price between 14% and 17% off. You should definitely be able to get that.
No offense intended, but I tried the CostCo discount back with my '08 M3 vert and it was only netting me about an 8% discount...I ended up doing much better by just negotiating on my own. I saved an additional $4K by NOT using the CostCo discounted price...if you don't like to haggle with sales folks I guess it might be a way to get somewhat of a discount with out having to go through the haggling...was funny when I arrived at the dealer and they were convinced I was going to just sign the paperwork because I was a CostCo member and had the CostCo discount program I hope you have better luck with it! You really can get these new F-150's in the 18% - 20% range

Old 04-29-2009, 10:48 PM
an easy site to check final sale price comparison to your anticipated deal: carsdirect.com

Old 04-30-2009, 04:59 AM
Originally Posted by HotLap
No offense intended, but I tried the CostCo discount back with my '08 M3 vert and it was only netting me about an 8% discount...I ended up doing much better by just negotiating on my own. I saved an additional $4K by NOT using the CostCo discounted price...if you don't like to haggle with sales folks I guess it might be a way to get somewhat of a discount with out having to go through the haggling...was funny when I arrived at the dealer and they were convinced I was going to just sign the paperwork because I was a CostCo member and had the CostCo discount program I hope you have better luck with it! You really can get these new F-150's in the 18% - 20% range
I was just giving advice, I already bought my truck and didn't use the Costco thing either. I got 21% off on my truck.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:45 AM
Originally Posted by SportTractoF150
I was just giving advice, I already bought my truck and didn't use the Costco thing either. I got 21% off on my truck.
Good job on the 21% discount Now that's a deal Yeah, I didn't mean to sound harsh about the CostCo comment...just was very disappointed when I found out that's all it was. I have a friend who was telling me he buys all his cars that way who had me real excited about it.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:50 AM
I know it not where you live, but they are already knocking like 10K off trucks here in Blue Springs, and i thought i seen 0% for 60 months. Im not sure if that was on the f150's or not.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM
gpo
Well I guess I can chime in...my truck finally landed at the dealers and I went to look at it last night. I was quite surprised when I found out that I was getting another $3500 off the truck. With x plan I ended up with 13.3k off of 42800. This is over 30% off and I didn't have to negotiate at any time. Given this, I would recommend trying to find an xplan number and use that.
Btw, I pick the truck up Friday afternoon. Woohoo!!!

Edit: all prices are in Canadian dollars and do not include a 13% sales tax.

Last edited by gpo; 04-30-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:15 AM
Old 04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I made my offer of $36K and making my trade a wash (they are basically giving my high KBB trade allowance).

He called me back yesterday afternoon, and said "sorry" - not going to budge on price.
I was kind of surprised that they made no counter offer at all. He even told me that I should try some other dealers for a better price, and then that dealer could do a swap with them for the truck.

I'm just about ready to give up - I work 6-7 days a week, and just don't have the time to travel over 100 miles to do some shopping (being I have a trade, I guess I can't really do it over the phone).

I did get a phone call from the Costco deal I filled out on-line - going to call him back but they are 185 miles away.!.!

This has become more a principal issue with me now - I wish I had some leverage to somehow make them sell me that truck for invoice less the $3K.

Edit to add - I also have my financing done - I have a blank check from my credit union for this purchase - did tell the salesman this......

Last edited by stormtech; 04-30-2009 at 07:04 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally Posted by stormtech
Well, I made my offer of $36K and making my trade a wash (they are basically giving my high KBB trade allowance).

He called me back yesterday afternoon, and said "sorry" - not going to budge on price.
I was kind of surprised that they made no counter offer at all. He even told me that I should try some other dealers for a better price, and then that dealer could do a swap with them for the truck.

I'm just about ready to give up - I work 6-7 days a week, and just don't have the time to travel over 100 miles to do some shopping (being I have a trade, I guess I can't really do it over the phone).

I did get a phone call from the Costco deal I filled out on-line - going to call him back but they are 185 miles away.!.!

This has become more a principal issue with me now - I wish I had some leverage to somehow make them sell me that truck for invoice less the $3K.

Edit to add - I also have my financing done - I have a blank check from my credit union for this purchase - did tell the salesman this......
If you want a truck, you can get one. Use the telephone and call another dealer. Use the internet to shop around. So what if you have to take a day off and drive a little to get the deal done. The dealer you have been working with know you want their truck - that's why they are sitting on their fat ***** waiting for you to take their price, when you should get your price.

Best of luck, but do what's best for you.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
If you want a truck, you can get one. Use the telephone and call another dealer. Use the internet to shop around. So what if you have to take a day off and drive a little to get the deal done. The dealer you have been working with know you want their truck - that's why they are sitting on their fat ***** waiting for you to take their price, when you should get your price.

Best of luck, but do what's best for you.
Message heard loud and clear -

About an hour ago, I called a dealer near to where we used to live 15 years ago (185 miles away) who is a large volume dealer in a very populated area. Told him my story - even gave him the VIN of the truck. He's going to call me back tomorrow with some numbers.

I did tell him about the price I was given (the $3K cash back off the sticker) - he was speechless for a few seconds, and asked me again if they weren't giving anything off the sticker.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my thread here, I have a good handle on what I should pay for this truck, and am going after it now.

Man, I should never had taken that truck for a ride!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by stormtech
Message heard loud and clear -

About an hour ago, I called a dealer near to where we used to live 15 years ago (185 miles away) who is a large volume dealer in a very populated area. Told him my story - even gave him the VIN of the truck. He's going to call me back tomorrow with some numbers.

I did tell him about the price I was given (the $3K cash back off the sticker) - he was speechless for a few seconds, and asked me again if they weren't giving anything off the sticker.

Thanks to all who have contributed to my thread here, I have a good handle on what I should pay for this truck, and am going after it now.

Man, I should never had taken that truck for a ride!
Hey, we've all made the mistake of driving them....that's why we all have them!

Good luck with your potential purchase and keep us posted. And post pics when you get her!

Quick Reply: Test Drive - fell in love - No Sale....