2009 - 2014 F-150

Test Drive - fell in love - No Sale....

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 07:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stormtech
You know - that could be possible I guess -

I do know that this truck has been on their lot since at least last November - I've been looking at it every time I drive by the lot.

There has to be some reason that they won't budge off sticker price.......

Also another note - my dealer #2 did call it a trade, but while talking about the details for deposit etc, he did say that he will actually have to pay the other dealer for it.?.
Some dealers will trade another vehicle for the one they will sell. When they do this, they sometimes loose the holdback. If dealer number 2 (in your case) buys the truck from dealer number 1, they keep all the moola for themselves.

Dealer number 1 probably won't budge on the price becasue they know you want it and will squeeze you for everything they can. You're doing the right thing by going to dealer number 2. I think you'll be surprised at the difference in attitude and customer service from dealer number 2. And on a side note, call the salesman you have been talking with and tell him/her you'll be there on Thursday or Friday. He/she will make sure the truck is there.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm willing to help you but your in PA. I live in NYC and I own a home in NC so I flew to NC bought my truck and drove back to NYC b/c many Ny'ers are shaddy. I have a dealer in NC that I bet is willing to help you. I know the sales manager personally. When the 09's hit the lot I remember a guy driving all the way from IN to NC just to pick it up. PM me if you want to at least just give them a try to see what the numbers look like.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the comments guys. And thanks for the offer of some other dealers - the only problem with that is my trade.

I'm in a hold pattern right now it seems.

And it gets worse -

They have my truck in their shop with a cam follower issue - originally said I should get it back by Wednesday morning.

The problem is, I have a small landscaping/lawn service business that I work on my days off (work 24 on/24 off). I even took this week off work because this is my busiest time of year.

Talked with the service manager about an hour ago - tech is having a problem rotating the cam properly to change the cam followers. Meanwhile, it hasn't rained these past 2 days, and I am falling severely behind on my mowing routes. Also was trying to fit a day in this week to drive to dealer #2 to have him look at my trade.

This was my main reason for fighting for the price, and getting an X-PLAN PIN over the weekend. I was hoping to just make a deal on the FX4 so I could keep my business going.

So, here I sit - lost 2 days work during perfect weather, plus not being able to get to dealer #2.

I'm about to start drinking again.......

Sorry for the rant guys - just though I would update.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:42 PM
Rent a truck until yours is fixed. If you have the extended warranty, Ford allows a certain amount for a rental per day.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
Rent a truck until yours is fixed. If you have the extended warranty, Ford allows a certain amount for a rental per day.
I thought of that option yesterday - called the 2 places that rent trucks - none have trailer hitches on them - need to pull my landscape trailer.

I'm thinking more now that this dealer is trying to screw me. They know I need a truck, so they are holding out with the price on that FX4.

You would think they would try to help me.......

Edit: BIG_ole_TRUCK - I owe you a thank you - I was thinking car rental places, not truck. I just reserved a 10' U-Haul truck w/trailer hitch for tomorrow. My mowing equipment is light enough that I will be OK without trailer brakes for a day or two.

Last edited by stormtech; 05-05-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
when you finally get your truck back, take the time to call Ford directly and complain loudly...trust me, it will be marked against the stealership and will make it hard for them to get/keep blue oval status....I did that to a dealer and they treat me like royalty now because they know I will complain very loudly and make life difficult for them....

I make it a point to buy my trucks from dealers that have on sight rentals, because having to get your own and deal with reimbursement from Ford is a PITA...(which is why I am still dealing with my dealership)

Old 05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I want to apologize to you guys for kind of making this thread my personal blog of sorts - just needed to vent a little lately.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, I had a talk with the service manager today when I picked my truck up - I get along with him great. Told him that it is a shame that the sales department isn't up to par with his service department. He then went and got the sales manager. Same story - blah, blah, blah about the value of my trade.

So, I'm off to dealer #2 tomorrow. At this point I have no faith whatsoever - feel like it will just be a wasted trip. But I have to try this one more time.

I also found another dealer within 6 miles of dealer #2 that has a white FX4, but no luxury package or NAV. If the deal from #2 doesn't work out, I'll take a look at #3. I know I shouldn't settle, but there are very few white FX4's around it seems.

Wish me luck - I'm going in!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I want to apologize to you guys for kind of making this thread my personal blog of sorts - just needed to vent a little lately.

Anyway, to keep this on topic, I had a talk with the service manager today when I picked my truck up - I get along with him great. Told him that it is a shame that the sales department isn't up to par with his service department. He then went and got the sales manager. Same story - blah, blah, blah about the value of my trade.

So, I'm off to dealer #2 tomorrow. At this point I have no faith whatsoever - feel like it will just be a wasted trip. But I have to try this one more time.

I also found another dealer within 6 miles of dealer #2 that has a white FX4, but no luxury package or NAV. If the deal from #2 doesn't work out, I'll take a look at #3. I know I shouldn't settle, but there are very few white FX4's around it seems.

Wish me luck - I'm going in!
You got this, man! But don't settle - you'll regret it down the road! You'll see dealer 2 will work with you.

Best of luck and post pics!

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Haven't you already agreed on the terms with dealer #2?

Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 PM
SOLD!
-----------------------------------
The short story:

Met my target price within $148.00
Savings from dealer 1 to dealer 2 $3652.00

------------------------------------

The long story for those who care to read:

190 mile journey - lots of time to think - should I just turn around?
No - have to follow this through.

As I said before, I had little faith after dealer #1, but you guys told me to get out of there and start working.
Before I left, I had a target price out-the-door written down. If this dealer didn't meet my target price, I was just not meant to have this truck. I don't need this truck - after all I am driving an '08 F-150.

Got to the dealer to meet Bob - nice quiet guy around 30 years old - quite soft spoken, but had an air of quiet confidence showing that he has been in the business for a while.

So first order of business is to value my trade. This is where I think it is going to end. He comes back after a few minutes, and gave me $500 more than quoted on the phone.
I am not floored, but pleasantly surprised.

OK - next step is to see if dealer #1 still will let the truck go. Just as Bob is reaching for the phone, I said that we should make absolutely sure he as asking for the right truck being there are 2 white FX4's on their lot that are very similar. He goes to look at the inventory on his computer, and says he can't find it. I pull out the printed copy of the window sticker to give him, and said that this is the VIN I gave you over the phone.
After a minute of shuffling papers, and a whole bunch of mouse clicks, he says that he gave me the price on the wrong truck - he'll loose his job if he sells me my truck for that price.

I think - OK - this is how they are going to try to get me. I must have had quite the disgusted look on my face, but I didn't say a word. He grabbed up all his papers, and said he would be right back as he marched over to his manager.

Tick-tock - tick-tock - here we go - I have my paperwork packed up and I am ready to walk.

Here comes Bob. He apologizes and says he has never done this. Can't believe it he screwed up. He does have a sincere look about him though......

Bob writes the new number down - $2098 more.
Then he writes down a new trade figure - $1950 more.
Difference of $148

Whew - got through that!

Then we haggle a little bit for the step bars and brake controller. He's getting more of a desperate look to him now.
I was fairly prepared to pay for the two items, but still had to work it to see what I could get. The 2 items were $775 - I said about splitting the difference.
Off to his manager......
Came back with an additional $300 for my trade to help me toward the 2 items.

OK - I can live with that - but wait - we haven't heard back from dealer #1 about releasing the truck...

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

Finally the phone call - they won't do a dealer trade, but they can buy it if they want. A little more of a desperate look in his eyes now.......

Done deal -

I want to express my thanks for all the support you guys have given me on this - I can assure you that I most likely would have just given up after dealer #1, and just kept my '08.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:17 PM
That's great Stan

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
SOLD!
-----------------------------------
The short story:

Met my target price within $148.00
Savings from dealer 1 to dealer 2 $3652.00

------------------------------------

The long story for those who care to read:

190 mile journey - lots of time to think - should I just turn around?
No - have to follow this through.

As I said before, I had little faith after dealer #1, but you guys told me to get out of there and start working.
Before I left, I had a target price out-the-door written down. If this dealer didn't meet my target price, I was just not meant to have this truck. I don't need this truck - after all I am driving an '08 F-150.

Got to the dealer to meet Bob - nice quiet guy around 30 years old - quite soft spoken, but had an air of quiet confidence showing that he has been in the business for a while.

So first order of business is to value my trade. This is where I think it is going to end. He comes back after a few minutes, and gave me $500 more than quoted on the phone.
I am not floored, but pleasantly surprised.

OK - next step is to see if dealer #1 still will let the truck go. Just as Bob is reaching for the phone, I said that we should make absolutely sure he as asking for the right truck being there are 2 white FX4's on their lot that are very similar. He goes to look at the inventory on his computer, and says he can't find it. I pull out the printed copy of the window sticker to give him, and said that this is the VIN I gave you over the phone.
After a minute of shuffling papers, and a whole bunch of mouse clicks, he says that he gave me the price on the wrong truck - he'll loose his job if he sells me my truck for that price.

I think - OK - this is how they are going to try to get me. I must have had quite the disgusted look on my face, but I didn't say a word. He grabbed up all his papers, and said he would be right back as he marched over to his manager.

Tick-tock - tick-tock - here we go - I have my paperwork packed up and I am ready to walk.

Here comes Bob. He apologizes and says he has never done this. Can't believe it he screwed up. He does have a sincere look about him though......

Bob writes the new number down - $2098 more.
Then he writes down a new trade figure - $1950 more.
Difference of $148

Whew - got through that!

Then we haggle a little bit for the step bars and brake controller. He's getting more of a desperate look to him now.
I was fairly prepared to pay for the two items, but still had to work it to see what I could get. The 2 items were $775 - I said about splitting the difference.
Off to his manager......
Came back with an additional $300 for my trade to help me toward the 2 items.

OK - I can live with that - but wait - we haven't heard back from dealer #1 about releasing the truck...

Tick-tock, tick-tock.

Finally the phone call - they won't do a dealer trade, but they can buy it if they want. A little more of a desperate look in his eyes now.......

Done deal -

I want to express my thanks for all the support you guys have given me on this - I can assure you that I most likely would have just given up after dealer #1, and just kept my '08.
AWESOME! So where is the new ride? Have you picked it up yet? Photos ASAP!!!! Congrats on the new truck!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM
wow, the ordeal comes to a happy end. post pics when you can.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I am glad it worked out for you, your gonna love the truck. As stated before, let's see that infamous truck.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by pkvir
I am glad it worked out for you, your gonna love the truck. As stated before, let's see that infamous truck.
Truck still has to be transferred, plus a couple items added at dealership.

Then, work next week won't allow me the time to make the trip to pick it up until 5/18.

Quick Reply: Test Drive - fell in love - No Sale....