2009 - 2014 F-150

USB 2 Mod & iPod

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
USB 2 Mod & iPod

So I just did the USB 2 mod, and connected my iPod cable to it, followed by my 20G iPod Photo. It charges it and it recognizes something in the USB 2 slot, but when it finishes the "initializing" stage, it says something along the lines of "invalid device".

Has anybody else that has done the mod noticed this as well?

Side note: When I attach it to the regular usb port in the dash, it also says the same thing. When I connect my friend's iPod (appears to be the same model) to the usb port on the dash, it works fine.

Any ideas?

Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does it let you view the folders in the ipod? Mine said that today but it still let me play the songs from it.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I can see the stuff on the iPod screen, but nothing on the truck. At least I don't think so. I'll double check tho.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 PM
another ipod ?

I am in the process of getting an 09 f-150 xlt. I currently have a pioneer radio in my 99 f-150 with a direct ipod cable to it. On this radio I control my ipod through the pioneer radio and not off of the ipod itself. Is this how the 09s are too, when hooked up to the usb port? Or do you have to control which song you listen to off of the ipod? I like how I currently have it where you control it though the radio.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by jdtech65
I am in the process of getting an 09 f-150 xlt. I currently have a pioneer radio in my 99 f-150 with a direct ipod cable to it. On this radio I control my ipod through the pioneer radio and not off of the ipod itself. Is this how the 09s are too, when hooked up to the usb port? Or do you have to control which song you listen to off of the ipod? I like how I currently have it where you control it though the radio.
You will be able to control the ipod from your Ford radio. It works really well, however, you may need to download a program called sync my itunes, or the ford unit may not recognize all of your songs.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 AM
The same exact problem has happened to me before with USB2, and also with USB1. It seems it's just a minor problem when the truck and iPod are trying to establish communication. I've always been able to solve it by unplugging the cable from the iPod, hit "menu" or something on the iPod, and then plugging it back in.

Note: if you can't see the FORD logo on the iPod screen, then it hasn't established proper communication.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM
I figured out the problem. The mod works perfect with my iPod touch, but the iPod that I was originally trying to use is a fairly old version. I check the Sync website, and it says that particular iPod has to connect through USB+AUX, where as almost all other iPods only connect through USB.

So not a Sync problem, compatibility issue.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 AM
Do have the most current iPod updates? Maybe that would solve the problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Yea I do. I used to work for Apple and I know they haven't released an update for that model in years.

It's the technology it was built off at the time. The usb will only connect and charge it, it requires the AUX port for the sound to get to the system. The whole point of the mod was so that the iPod wasn't sitting in the dash, and with the USB+AUX requirement, that is exactly what would happen, so I'm just gonna use the iPod Touch.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 PM
i know ever time i change from my cheap mp3 player to my old ladies phillips mp3 i get that message but everthing work as it should ...control it throught the radio and still get song titles

Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Can this mod be done if you don't have SYNC installed?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mountaineerfan1
Can this mod be done if you don't have SYNC installed?
No.

The mod adds a cable to the second Sync USB port...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Another way:
1. Get a USB powered portable hard drive.
$54.99 http://www.buy.com/prod/western-digi...207561250.html
2. Copy your music on to the drive. (you can use folders to seperate the artists and leave the songs loose in the artist folder)
3. Place the drive in the glove box and plug into the 2nd USB port (search 2nd USB Mod for how to do this)
4. Keep your mp3/ipod in your pocket.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Good idea, but don't be surprised if the HDD fails or doesn't work well in cold/hot weather. If your truck is not subject to high and low temperatures, this is a good solution.

Another idea is a USB flash drive (smaller, no spin-up/indexing issues, and temperature doesn't bother it).

Either way, the drive MUST be formatted FAT32. NTFS will not work.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Originally Posted by shotgunz
Good idea, but don't be surprised if the HDD fails or doesn't work well in cold/hot weather. If your truck is not subject to high and low temperatures, this is a good solution.

Another idea is a USB flash drive (smaller, no spin-up/indexing issues, and temperature doesn't bother it).

Either way, the drive MUST be formatted FAT32. NTFS will not work.
I have my drive hooked up now for a year and haven't had any issues. I didn't consider colder climates as far as a drive sitting in a truck year round. You have a good point. I didn't format that particular drive from buy.com, just loaded my files on it and used it. I did have to reduce the number of files due to the memory limitation of the truck. Seemed to max out at 70 gb worth of music.

Quick Reply: USB 2 Mod & iPod