2009 - 2014 F-150

BakFlip HD Installed - With Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a stupid question... are you able to drive with the cover partially folded or folded back to the cab (as far as it will fold)?

Just curious how you would deal with instances where you aren't in a position to remove and leave the cover but have to haul something that will stick up beyond the height of the bed rails...

Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM
^sure can, that is the whole point of the folding cover. You can fold up a few panels depending on what you're hauling. Or if you have to really haul something big that takes up the whole bed, the panels fold all the way and rest up against the back window/cab and there are support rods to hold it in place. I have a picture in my album that shows this.

So that makes it much more user friendly vs. a solid one-piece cover.

Old 08-13-2009, 03:00 PM
^GOOD DEAL!^ I've never had a cover on my trucks and am always contemplating getting one but was always concerned about this particular aspect of it... I like the looks of this cover as in you really can't see it... maybe Santa will put one under the tree for me this Xmas!

Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Tube Install

Interesting from your picture. Mine was just installed and I had them hold off on the tubes. Seems I have holes in the stake pockets right beside the Blakflip nipples. I don't see the holes in your truck. Anyone else have these and can I just run the tubes into them... I will take some pics.

mine is a 2009 Lariat screw 4x4 6.5 box.....

[IMG]\\CATOM-NHFSPVWAU\baldwins$\G\My Documents\My Pictures\2009 Truck\_small.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by muskoka_smurf; 08-24-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great series... Nice job... Great enhancement...

Old 08-15-2009, 01:41 PM
i want i want i want!!

Old 12-08-2009, 09:56 PM
An alternative ?

I was all set to order the BAKflip for my '09 Platinum from Morris but after reading all of these posts ans looking at the photo I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. The rough quality, issues with the rails, dealing with unsightly drain tubes and all the rail clamps is raising questions with me.

My other opting is an extang solid fold cover. It only has two clamps up by the cab and two individual latches by the tail gate. The only real obvious difference is that it sits on top of the rails instead of down inside. It still folds back and I think can be entirely removed easier if need be for some unique occasion. Any thoughts or feedback on this woulod be appreciated.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:22 PM
^regarding the Bakflip issues, like anything else in life, when someone has a negative issue or beef, of course they going to post about it. Many others are happy with their covers but don't necessary post or brag about it that much on here. Some of these posts are from a few months ago. all I know is that I heard there was problems in the past with shipping damage to the rails and occasionally the cover, and supposedly Bakflip has improved upon their packaging and I think the rails are shipped in a separate box now. It is a big heavy box and you know how those folks at UPS can handle boxes at times...

regarding the drain tubes, some guys have gone and bought some 90 degree fittings from Home Depot, etc, and either drilled a hole in the bed stakes for the water to drain into or ran the tubes behind their bedliner, so you don't see the tubes at all.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by Grunthunter
I was all set to order the BAKflip for my '09 Platinum from Morris but after reading all of these posts ans looking at the photo I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts. The rough quality, issues with the rails, dealing with unsightly drain tubes and all the rail clamps is raising questions with me.

My other opting is an extang solid fold cover. It only has two clamps up by the cab and two individual latches by the tail gate. The only real obvious difference is that it sits on top of the rails instead of down inside. It still folds back and I think can be entirely removed easier if need be for some unique occasion. Any thoughts or feedback on this woulod be appreciated.
Take a look at the fold-a-cover. It appears to be much better quality than my Bakflip. The only draw back I see is that the fold-a-cover requires drilling.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Still extremely pleased with mine. Could not be happier. Looks great - love the low profile. The drain tube thing "sounds" bad, but not an issue for me at all. I don't even see them usually - hardly ever get that deep into the bed.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 PM
Can they be flipped up at the front of the box, or do they just fold back up to the cab? I was just wondering If a guy could just open the front pannel to access cargo.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by munro200
Can they be flipped up at the front of the box, or do they just fold back up to the cab? I was just wondering If a guy could just open the front pannel to access cargo.
not the Bakflip, but other brands like the FoldaCover do.

But the FoldaCover does not give you complete access to the bed when needed like the Bakflip. THe FoldaCover just folds from the back to the front and stacks near the back window, giving only ~75% open access for hauling big items.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:35 PM
Can the back flip be used with a tool box ??

Quick Reply: BakFlip HD Installed - With Pics