2009 - 2014 F-150

Did my test drive today... Now time to bargain

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my test drive today... Now time to bargain

Ok it is official I am sold on the Ford F150! I was between getting the F150 and the GMC Sierra. After todays ride I am sold on the Crew Cab 6.5ft bed 4x4.

I hear all the time people getting their trucks for super good prices and having the dealers take a loss. During these harder times for sales how can I get a good deal? I want to be able to get the truck for about 20% off of MSRP and put about 5-7k down. If any of you guys have tips for me getting this sort of a discount please help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
~Slim

Old 05-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I borrowed a FX4 for the weekend. I asked for the actual invoice and got invoice, 3750 in rebates and split the holdback with them. It came to about 9 grand off.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by L8 APEX
I borrowed a FX4 for the weekend. I asked for the actual invoice and got invoice, 3750 in rebates and split the holdback with them. It came to about 9 grand off.
Damn that sounds like over 20% off MSRP! How do people do this??? Evertyime I go on the lot and talk about this stuff they never work with me. I don't know if its cause I am young but geez. I am 26 and want to buy a new truck! Lol.

Old 05-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Also, the guy at the dealership today said that Ford isn't shipping anymore trucks to there dealership so what they have is what they got.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Don't be afraid to walk away...they will usually chase you.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Car dealing is a filthy crooked business. You best know how to play the game or have a friend in the business. I won't play their 4 square and "ask my manager" games. You have to go in their knowing what you want and what is realistic. Know the vehicle you want and about what the invoice is. Know your credit and available interest rates. Know your trade etc...

I know my personal credit union is 5.25% right now for new. I know my credit is tier one. I know my diesel trade is highly desirable and will auction for $20k. I know the vehicle I want has a sticker of 43K, 3750 in rebates, a holdback of 1259. So I usually offer them half the holdback money for the deal.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:36 PM
The bottom line is to be patient, do your homework and find out as close as you can what they really paid for the truck, and then offer a fair deal. If they don't go for it then just toddle off, and they will call you back - it could be hours or days, so be patient. YMMV but I don't think you can get them to sell it at a loss but nor should they make a killing on it. I paid cash for mine so I didn't have to play the trade-in/financing/down payment games so I don't have much experience there but it is pretty much the same game. X amount of money plus Y for the trade - take it or leave it.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As said above - know your numbers, and be patient.

It took me 2 weeks to get my truck.
Long story short, I had to go to a dealer 190 miles away who bought the truck I wanted from my local dealer, and sold it to me for ~17% off.

My buying experience is documented here - but be warned - it's 8 pages long. But, it shows that it can be done:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...e-no-sale.html

20% off is a good starting point - and know your trade value if you have a trade.

Then start going to other dealers on the phone and via email.
You sometimes have to really work it to make it happen, and in my case it finally did.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:47 PM
If yo uare a new buyer just beware the scam of naming your payment. They work the payment numbers so you think it is a good deal because you got the monthly payment you were looking for. Next is the financing. It is popular practice for the finance dept to get you bought at a lower APR% then mark it up a point or two. They take the profit off the top. I fell into the same trap when I bought my first new Lightning at 23yrs old. I figured my credit was too new and took the 9.9%, then a buddy showed me I really qualified at 5.9%...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 PM
All very good information above.

Pit dealers against each other, sit back and take the best offer.

There really isn't any particular 'way' to get a dealer to give you the best offer. They try to get the most out of you and you try to buy the truck for the least. It comes down to your skills at dealing for the best price and the dealer's desire to sell that truck for the price being haggled.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:57 PM
You might also not have as much negotiating room depending on the exact vehicle you want, my FX4 was the only one at my dealer, and the only other dealer reasonably close had FX4's that were much more optioned out (and I'm sure my dealer knew this - they can view other dealer's inventories just like you can ) If you give a dealer a reasonable offer, and they don't go for it (as in not at all, not just not right away) then they are gambling that they can find someone ELSE that will buy it for more than you're offering. If you are looking at a relatively loaded truck, you might have some more latitude, as they are less likely (relatively speaking) to sell that truck than one with less options.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Slim...the internet is your friend!! First off, spec and price your truck on the Ford build site, then print out the price with all the individual option prices. Now you can compare "apples to apples" and they won't be able to confuse you. Start calling around to dealerships in your area (don't be afraid to travel a couple of hundred miles if you have to either), and play them against one another. Get your best price and go back to and ask other dealers to beat the price. I have an old high school friend who is GM at a Ford Dealer in Central CA, if you aren't too far away, shoot me a PM and I'll give you his address. Best bet with him is to find your best deal and he'll usually beat it. Good luck, great trucks, still smile every time I drive my '09 Platinum.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:15 PM
Tell them you want a deal like the attached advertisement or you will buy it from them and have it shipped. I hope it is not against forum rules to link to dealers. If so, Moderaters please delete.

http://www.fordcountry.net/newspecials.html

Old 05-31-2009, 04:00 PM
Amen to all the above.

Do not be afraid or intimidated by dealers. DO your homework on the internet. Make a decision on WHAT you want and WHAT you are going to pay and not a penny more. When you KNOW what the dealers KNOW you are already ahead of the game.

Go make your offers and tell them when you find the right price YOU ARE BUYING! That will weed out the boneheads. The days of letting dealers tell YOU what you are going to pay are OVER!

Quick Reply: Did my test drive today... Now time to bargain