2009 - 2014 F-150

Engine hesitation or skip. Anyone else noticed this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009 | 09:42 PM
|
Question Engine hesitation or skip. Anyone else noticed this?

I now have 3900 miles on my truck and have had the TSB performed for the 1-2 trans shift and that issue has been greatly improved. Lately I have been noticing what feels like a skip or miss on acceleration. When I take off from a stop the truck will shift and accelerate fine through 1st and 2nd gear but as soon as it shifts into 3rd gear the truck seems to stumble or skip ever so slightly for about 2 seconds and then it runs fine. It only does this right after the 2-3 upshift and the truck never looses RPMs or speed but it can be felt every time. There are no other symptoms and everything else about the truck is fine. It does it with or without the A/C on and with or without a load. I have floored it several times to see if it would get worse and possibly set a Check Engine Light but it won't. I plan to take the truck in next week while I am going to be out of town with the wife for them to look at it but wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this or has any idea what it might be.

Thanks in advance,
SCScrew

Old 06-08-2009 | 10:06 PM
I aint noticed this but my truck did do something strange earlier. I was on a very slight incline and was going up it in about 4th gear slowly and went to give it some and i gave it a little throttle and nothing so i gave it some more and nothing. I then floored it and still nothing. It just stayed in that gear and wouldnt change down. tryed it again later on and it flew up the hill like a rocket. It must have been in a gear and RPM that it thought was ok even at full throttle. I wernt at all happy, Perhaps the trans update will fix that.

Old 01-07-2010 | 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by SCscrew
I now have 3900 miles on my truck and have had the TSB performed for the 1-2 trans shift and that issue has been greatly improved. Lately I have been noticing what feels like a skip or miss on acceleration. When I take off from a stop the truck will shift and accelerate fine through 1st and 2nd gear but as soon as it shifts into 3rd gear the truck seems to stumble or skip ever so slightly for about 2 seconds and then it runs fine. It only does this right after the 2-3 upshift and the truck never looses RPMs or speed but it can be felt every time. There are no other symptoms and everything else about the truck is fine. It does it with or without the A/C on and with or without a load. I have floored it several times to see if it would get worse and possibly set a Check Engine Light but it won't. I plan to take the truck in next week while I am going to be out of town with the wife for them to look at it but wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this or has any idea what it might be.

Thanks in advance,
SCScrew
i had the exact same hesitation....now gone with the hypertech tuner

Old 01-07-2010 | 05:54 PM
Question

Originally Posted by piscineaide
i had the exact same hesitation....now gone with the hypertech tuner
Tell us more about your Hypertech Tuner. Does it take care of the harsh downshift also? How much does it cost, how hard to program, etc, etc.

Old 01-08-2010 | 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by 09KingRanch
Tell us more about your Hypertech Tuner. Does it take care of the harsh downshift also? How much does it cost, how hard to program, etc, etc.
Yes, give us more details on your HyperTech!

Old 01-11-2010 | 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by 09KingRanch
very easy to program, just respond to the few question..would say mage 10min the first time and 5 min if you have to do it again

i would say it took care of the throttle hesitation and no more trany hesitation
seryoulsy it now drive like my silverado 2008

better power, better tranny/throttle response
the fuel milage is the same on highway 13-14l/100km at 120kmh crusing
and use a little bit more fuel in town than stock
you can feel a bit more power in town but you realy can feel the power while passing on the highway
the more mph the more power you feel

sorry for the typo (i am french canadian!!)

Old 01-27-2010 | 08:06 PM
I was having hesitation problem with my 2009 KR. Just had the transmission reprogrammed at the dealer and it is acting much better now. In addition to the hesitation, I was also suffering low gas mileage. It had slipped to down to 14 MPG in the city and now is back to 17 MPG city / 20 MPG highway. In fact, driving back from Houston, if I drafted behind another vehicle I could get the highway mileage up to 22 MPG! For reference, I have 6,000 miles on the truck.

How much does the Hypertech Tuner cost??? What else can it do??? I'm unfamiliar with this device. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2010 | 09:23 PM
This throttle "lag" is really starting to pissme off.

Two times now that I have almost been hit because of this.

Old 01-27-2010 | 11:00 PM
I'm getting my upgrade on Monday.I hope to see similar results.Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Engine hesitation or skip. Anyone else noticed this?