2009 - 2014 F-150

Am I missing something here?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I missing something here?????

I live in the NY metro area and today I went to test drive a
2009 XLT SCREW 4x4, 157" WB, 6.5' bed (MSRP base $34,760)with the following options:

5.4L FFV V8 engine ($630)
3.55 limited slip axle ($300)
Sync ($395)
Trailer Tow package ($350)
XLT convenience package ($495)
Drivers package ($225)

total veh and options $36,655
destination 975
Total MSRP $37,630

I planned on financing through Ford and then getting a loan from the bank at a better rate so I qualify for a total of $4,500 in incentives

at first the dealer came out with 36,000 (31,500 with the incentives). I told her that all she took off was about 1,500. She said that was the best that she could do. I reminded her that
a.) it was almost the end of the model year
b.) the raptor is coming out (I have to think that will eat away at some potential buyers that had plans of buying an '09)
c.) gas is going back up
d.) trucks are not walking out of the dealers
e.) Ford dealers have been closing around here
f.) I was 1 of 3 customers that walked in in the 3 hrs I was there
etc.

she maintained that was the best she could do
I then asked what if I have an Xplan pin. She said the Xplan price would be
$34,447 (she said that this price was less than invoice and they were losing money on it ?????) and with the incentives it came out to be $30,447

I had the invoice of this truck at 32,911 (with options) and with delivery
$33,886

so my questions are:

#1.)is an Xplan price invoice, invoice plus 4%, or what?

#2.)why was she so unwilling to give me a decent initial offer?

#3.)The xplan price of $30,447 would be about 19% off the MSRP, how do people on here get anywhere from 20-28% off the MSRP

#4.) what price would you expect to see?

#5.) when are the 2010's coming out?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks for taking the time to read this and for any responses,
norm

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 PM
I live in NYC also but I bought my truck in N. Carolina. I found it that the dealerships in the 5 boroughs are a joke. Maybe try upstate (Westchester).

Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 PM
You should be able to get 17 - 20% off msrp. I am not sure if x plan is much better than that. I am going to go in on a King Ranch and start with an offer of 22% off and will settle for no less than 19-20% off.
GOOD LUCK

Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on your numbers, X-plan is only $561 more than invoice. The $30447 price (X-plan - rebates) is 19% below MSRP, which is pretty good these days. You should be able to negotiate less than dealer invoice price, though without using the X-plan. Offer $29500 plus TTL. X-plan is not related to MSRP or invoice price, but generally ends up being invoice price (including destination) +/- 2%.

Be careful about refinancing the auto loan. Make sure there is no clause about early payoff, or penalty for closing the account in less than 6 months. Also, you'll be refinancing at a used car loan rate, which generally is higher than new car loan rates.

The Raptor will have no impact on your purchase. It is not available on Supercrews and is a low production specialty truck.

2010 models are generally on dealer lots around September 1st.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
That's the sales game. You just have to play along. Here is what you do.

!) Respectfully thank them for their time.
2) When they ask what it would would take to sell you that truck, you respectfully tell them you would not leave without it if you could get it at the invoice price.
3) Respectfully let them decide.

If you want it for less than invoice, then give them that number. If they decide not to sell you the truck for your numbers, then you are free to go home with their best number to consider.

The next day you can take their best number to another dealer. At the next dealer, tell them you just want to see one of their trucks. You don't need to talk to a salesman about numbers because your considering these numbers from another dealer. If he pressures you to talk about the numbers, then respectfully tell him what number he would need to talk about in order to for you to put the time into the discussion.

I think $1000 under invoice your safe not to buy a truck. Anything higher that that and your at risk of driving a new truck home today.

Remember your most powerful purchasing moment is when your on your way to another dealer to buy one of his trucks.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:54 AM
the main problem I had was that there was a difference in the invoice that I had (from 2 different websites) and what she said was the invoice that she had (though she didn't show me anything). The difference was about $2,000.

How accurate are these websites that offer the invoice numbers like http://nfcu.com/autocenter/webcarbook.html or edmunds, etc?

also does anybody have those ads that offered blowout sales, I believe somebody posted them a few months ago. I think it was from TX or OK.

And finally the dealer found the truck that I wanted, it wasn't physically on their lot. I've been messing around with the zipcodes on the build a ford website to try to find it but have had no luck. Can I deal with the fleet mgr, or would he be willing to deal w/ me if he physically doesn't have the truck on his lot.

thanks again everyone on here is super helpful,
norm

Old 06-15-2009, 07:58 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always used Edmunds and KBB which provide accurate invoice prices. One issue is that OEM raise prices a couple times mid year, so the invoice price you build today may not reflect a vehicle physically built 6 months ago. $2k is too much to go up in 1 year, though.

Internet sales people are best. Use Ford's contact a dealer link to request a quote for a vehicle with your desirable features.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by rosscoalta
You should be able to get 17 - 20% off msrp. I am not sure if x plan is much better than that. I am going to go in on a King Ranch and start with an offer of 22% off and will settle for no less than 19-20% off.
GOOD LUCK
Keep in mind that a truck with fewer options will not have the same amount of markup in it. If he is already in the 17% - 20% discount range - that's actually a pretty good deal...not many are getting more than 20% discounts on the fully loaded Plats....

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
An alternative is to price shop using car shopping services offered through membership clubs or via the internet. You aren't under any obligation to buy and it may be better than the best quoted price you have received through direct contact with a dealer. Just a thought.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:29 AM
Did you ask the dealer to see the invoice? If you do, they should show it to you.

Old 06-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by norm1975
the main problem I had was that there was a difference in the invoice that I had (from 2 different websites) and what she said was the invoice that she had (though she didn't show me anything). The difference was about $2,000.norm
When I was shopping around, the thing I noticed on KBB.com was their invoice prices did not include the Ford advertising fee or the fuel fee. Both of these are included in the Ford invoice price. But not to the tune of $2,000. I think the Ford advertising fee on the invoice when I ordered my truck was around $650 and the fuel fee was around $10.

There were a couple of trucks I found online and when I looked at them at the dealer, they showed me the invoice and the number matched exactly to what was on the Ford build and price website.

The invoice also showed X-Plan price as well. This was pretty close to the invoice price.

Quick Reply: Am I missing something here?????