2009 - 2014 F-150

torn between fx4 or lariat

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
torn between fx4 or lariat

Just came back from the dealer{wanted to go on a Sun so salesman wouldn't hound me and the wife like a lost dog} To show wife differnce between my 02 and the 09. I am torn between the lariat or the fx4-

Lariat likes:

Chrome bumpers and better grille than the xlt

Dislikes: not availble in monotone paint for the colors that I like-blue flame or dark blue metallic pearl. Leather- I have leather in my current truck and even though it is tan It gets hot just parked at work etc even though I have ventshades and leave them open a crack just to let the heat escape.

FX4 likes: 5.4 3 valve, fog lamps,4x4 with skid plates and electronic rear 3:73 diff all standard, dark cloth sport interior

Dislikes: Bumpers not chrome cannot get Lariat or Platinum grille{though I do like the body color surround just not the black xl style insert}

Just wish that Ford would offer a FX4 Chrome package that would include chrome front/rear bumpers,a lariat or platium inset for the grille!! Then I could have my cake and eat it too!!

Just looking for some opinions on this thanks!!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Good Evening,
I too had the same question before I ordered the Lariat. I ordered the 2010 and will be getting it in dark blue pearl. I am not sure about the 2009, but the 2010 have the option of dual tone or monotone in dark blue pearl. I went with the dual tone.
I dont like the fake wood trim on the Lariat and wanted to change it out with the carbon fiber of the FX4, but the FX4 production models dont have the 6 buttons above the nav screen like the Lariat and above do ( pre production pictures showed that it did, but now there are only 3) which leads me to believe.... err.. hope that they come out with the 6 buttons at some time so I can change the wood trim with the carbon fiber.

Here is why I chose the Lariat.... in the screw the back seat has the fold down arm rest with pop out cup holder (only on lariat and above). The lariat and above have some real leather in the back seat.. FX4 is all premium vinyl back there. Lariat and above have the extra trip computer (hence the 6 buttons above the nav screen). Lariat and above have the stitched dash above the gage cluster. I can always get the bumpers chromed later. I am looking at the harley trim and tail lights to see if I want to change the wood in my someday to arrive lariat. I got the max trailer tow package so I got the 3.73 rear diffy. Another thing, the Lariat has the driver side auto chromatic mirror standard. FX4 doesnt.

Hope this helps!!

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 PM
so if I wait til 10 i can get a monotone dark pearl blue WITHOUT THE DAMNED TWO-TONE PAINT? I agree i dont like the faux wood trim of the Lariat either niether does the wife. But I cant get the dimming side mirror on the fx4?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
YES! You can get the monotone dark blue pearl on the lariat. Found on page 20 of 2010 order guide, order code is DX and you can get it with either camel/tan or black/black interior. IF you get the FX4 PLUS package, it will come with the drivers auto chromatic mirror. However, as found on order guide page 22, if you get the manual telescoping with heat, memory, turn signal, puddle lamps (code 54P), then you CANNOT get the self dimming rearview mirror unless you get the FX4 luxury package.
LOL. So many if and thens... that is why I ordered the loaded Lariat. The only thing I didnt get was the chrome package. (I hate the HIDEOUS 20" chrome lariat wheels).

Old 06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
For me the wood trim is a deal breaker. Interior of FX4 just looks so much better.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 PM
Originally Posted by JTreibs
YES! You can get the monotone dark blue pearl on the lariat. Found on page 20 of 2010 order guide, order code is DX and you can get it with either camel/tan or black/black interior. IF you get the FX4 PLUS package, it will come with the drivers auto chromatic mirror. However, as found on order guide page 22, if you get the manual telescoping with heat, memory, turn signal, puddle lamps (code 54P), then you CANNOT get the self dimming rearview mirror unless you get the FX4 luxury package.
LOL. So many if and thens... that is why I ordered the loaded Lariat. The only thing I didnt get was the chrome package. (I hate the HIDEOUS 20" chrome lariat wheels).
would that still have chrome bumpers? and does the black interior have the faux wood crap?

I have never ordered a truck b/f how does it work if i'm still driving my trade in?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:17 PM
I dont know how the trade in process will work. I know that for me I paid a 500 dollar refundable deposit. When we receive my VIN and build date then I will get financing together.

As far as the Chrome bumpers, according to the 2010 order manual, you can get the following Lariat colors in MONOTONE which means the bumpers will be chrome: dark blue pearl, red candy, white platinum metallic tricoat (new for 2010), tuxedo black (new for 2010), royal red, ingot silver (new for 2010), and oxford white. All of those colors EXCEPT the ingot silver can come in monotone OR pueblo gold two tone.

Unfortunately, unless you get the harley, ALL models Lariat and above come with the crappy wood trim. But just change it out. That is what I am going to do. It will probably cost 500 bucks, but it's worth it to me.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by JTreibs
I dont know how the trade in process will work. I know that for me I paid a 500 dollar refundable deposit. When we receive my VIN and build date then I will get financing together.

As far as the Chrome bumpers, according to the 2010 order manual, you can get the following Lariat colors in MONOTONE which means the bumpers will be chrome: dark blue pearl, red candy, white platinum metallic tricoat (new for 2010), tuxedo black (new for 2010), royal red, ingot silver (new for 2010), and oxford white. All of those colors EXCEPT the ingot silver can come in monotone OR pueblo gold two tone.

Unfortunately, unless you get the harley, ALL models Lariat and above come with the crappy wood trim. But just change it out. That is what I am going to do. It will probably cost 500 bucks, but it's worth it to me.
Let me know please as I may order a 2010 LARIAT in dark blue pearl- the reason that I ask is that I'm still paying for my trade.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:17 AM
I was in the same boat as you. Did not like the lack of chrome on the FX4 but liked the interior package on the luxury package vs the faux wood trim on the Lariat.

The dealer swapped out the FX4 grill with the Lariat grill for me and at least I have some chrome now!

Here is a link to a photo from my album. If it does not work, click on my profile and go to my album in there.

The dealer did point out that there were actually three different grills that he had to juggle around and figured out which one would fit the FX4.

No regrets. That said, if I had seen the Lariat with the black interior, I might have got that because I find that the wood does not look so bad with the black interior. The black interior on the FX4 is AWESOME!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:24 AM
I was torn between the Fx4 and my xlt . I've never liked the exterior of the fx4 no chrome at all . I choose the less optioned xlt over the fx4 because of this..I had a 06 lariat and didn't need all those options

Old 06-15-2009, 07:42 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since you mentioned your current truck's hot seats, then the Lariat's cooled seals have to win out over the FX4.

There are whole wood-grain dash kits on Ebay for under $200, so I bet you can find some other styles for a couple hundred as well. Or, paint your own. I'd buy a wood grain kit or pieces you wan to replace, scuff them up and paint with silver or aluminum and maybe clearcoat them.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:52 PM
The more that I think bout it I wish Ford would offer the center console w/ the floor shifter w/ the captains chairs on the XLT. I test drove an XLT last week and it was pretty basic-no special wheels just had the snyc system and the power rear window. Since I cannot seem to find the excact truck that I want I'm really starting to want to just pay off my 1st gen supercrew and just modify it instead of paying for an 09.Least it would be paid for and I could make it what I really want instead of wating longer just to do things to the 09.

Quick Reply: torn between fx4 or lariat