2009 - 2014 F-150

Warped rotors already?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe its just me, but I think virtually everyone's rotors warp. I drive a lot of rental cars, and more often than not I can feel warped rotors. Doesn't matter the brand. I just did the brakes on our Focus last night because of warped rotors/glazed pads. There's still plenty of thickness on the rotors but I just replaced them for time/convenience sake because who knows if they'll actually turn flat. If they do I'll put them on the shelf for next time, and there will be a next time sooner than I hope. Once you go to aftermarket rotors, they do it even quicker. On our Taurus the aftermarkets would warp within the 2 year warranty so I was just doing the brakes every 2 years for free other than an hour or two of my time.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the service dept is treating you right in my opinion.

The most important part is that he acknowledged your problem and hopefully you now have a record of this.

I know how you feel - everything, including the brakes, should be perfect on your new truck. Myself (maybe more OCD than you....), I wouldn't be able to stand it - I wouldn't be able to ignore it.

My question is - did he only offer to turn the rotors - not to replace them?
If they will only turn them, I would let them try it IF the problem still exists, they would replace the rotors, or if they do in fact warp, that they will also replace with new rotors.

Still though, it sounds like they are trying to work with you and did give you a choice in what could be done.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:04 PM
Not everyone's rotors warp. I pull two different boats, neither with trailer brakes. One boat is nearly 5,000 lbs and I don't have warped rotors. Never warped them on my Suburban or my old F150 either pulling (and stopping) the same heavy loads.

But... I gave my old F150 to my 20 year old nephew. The rotors were warped within six months and he never pulled or carried any appreciable load. However he drives like a jackass.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
Found this on a website and never heard about it before.

Seasoning rotors

Make sure you have enough road i.e. (highway is probably the best place). Try to avoid panic stops or hard braking from very high speeds. Bring your speed up to approximately 50-60mph.Gently, and we mean "GENTLY" apply the brake simultaneously with the gas so as not to reduce your speed. Do this for five (5) seconds. Now try to drive without touching the brakes for another mile or two in order to cool off the rotors to ambient temperature. Repeat these steps twice a day i.e. (to and from work) for two or three days. This will heat up and cool down your rotors evenly, lessening the chances of rotor warping.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
For the past 8 years, I have always asked the shop to make sure the nuts are only removed and tightened with hand tools.
i dont understand the removal by hand tools, tighening with torque wrench of course... but i use impact to take off the wheels on all the tire rotations at my shop, never a problem...

Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia

Seasoning rotors...
Interesting

Old 06-17-2009, 09:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Barritia

Seasoning rotors
I've read similar instruction that came with a set of Hawk brake pads, but that was for breaking in the pads - same theory never the less.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by d4studmuf1n
i dont understand the removal by hand tools, tighening with torque wrench of course... but i use impact to take off the wheels on all the tire rotations at my shop, never a problem...
less marring on the nuts if hand tools used

Old 06-17-2009, 09:45 PM
The service writer is correct in a way. If they machine the rotors, chances are the brake chatter will return. You have to play their game... get the rotors turned. Wait until those rotors warp again, get new rotors.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by johnyb777
Anyone else have a good ammount of shake in the steering and seat while braking? My 09 has started to shimmy and shake when braking from highway speeds. It seems to last from about 50 to 35 MPH. The steering wheel shakes and you can definitely feel it in the brake pedal and seat. Has anyone had this issue and taken their truck in to get it fixed?

Same here. Never had this problem on my previous F150 which was a 1997, also 4WD, and after 331,000 miles it still ran like new, brakes too. The rotors on my 2009 started vibrating at about 32,000 miles. I'm bringing it into the dealer tomorrow, just before the 36,000 miles warranty expires (I also have an extended 100,000 mile Ford warranty, but that doesn't cover rotors). If the dealer and Ford deem it a "factory defect" it's covered, otherwise it's not.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Only time I've ever warped a rotor was when a brake pad was sticking causing excessive heat. Two on trucks, one on my H/D Ultra. The rotor on the scooter was actually glowing red at night.
All three were from excessive heat, not incorrect torque.

Quick Reply: Warped rotors already?