2009 - 2014 F-150

4x4 Do's and Dont's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny in the winter when we go snowboarding in the local mountains and when you get to the first steep bit of road and there's been snow falling there's car's and trucks just sitting in one place spinning there wheels lol. All the 4wd guys just cruize past them like nothing worng. Was so glad i had 4wd last time i went up there. I seems that LSD dont have any affect because neither wheel has any traction so it has zero affect.

Old 07-01-2009, 01:16 AM
Buy a HiLift jack and a tow strap and have some fun

Old 07-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FX41
Not sure where you live, but 4X4 is a major asset in the snow, however it wont help you stop. You would be surprised at how many trucks and SUVs from out of state I see on the side of the road in the mountains during the winter. They think 4X4=never stuck, and drive a 80 on the ice.

4lo make your gear ratio very low, don't go mashing the gas! Have fun wheeling.
Yup, just remember:

In bad conditions, it's not how fast you drive, it's how long it's going to take you to stop that matters.

4x4 is a godsend in the winter, but you still have to drive to the conditions. Don't mash on the brake pedal, it's worse than mashing on the gas!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 PM
First, objects are bigger or deeper than they appear. In my first 4WD, an 02 FX4, I was going downhill on a trail at less than 10MPH. I crossed over a large rock without realizing it was washed out below it. I realized this when the back of the nerf bar made contact with the lower part of the extended cab door. Fortunately it wasn't too much damage, but certainly made me sick. Play with the truck on flat ground and light mud the first time or two so you can get use to how it responds. Be sure you take a co-pilot with a camera.

Now hold my brew and watch this... ;-)

Old 07-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now it has been said that you should not engage in 4 wheel when on dry pavement, especially for any length of time. In Winter there are instances when the roads appear dry for the most part, but due to a refreeze overnight or black ice situations where you are likely to encounter very slippery spots, how do you feel about using 4HI then?

Old 07-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
Now it has been said that you should not engage in 4 wheel when on dry pavement, especially for any length of time. In Winter there are instances when the roads appear dry for the most part, but due to a refreeze overnight or black ice situations where you are likely to encounter very slippery spots, how do you feel about using 4HI then?
Use your best judgement. You know your roads better than anyone here, so if you know of specific trouble spots that you know may be slippery that you feel you would be more comfortable using 4HI on, then use it. Personally, unless I know for a fact that a certain spot up ahead of me is going to be icy/slippery, I just use extreme caution and stay in 2wd. Don't drive fast, and don't slam on the brakes.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
Use your best judgement. You know your roads better than anyone here, so if you know of specific trouble spots that you know may be slippery that you feel you would be more comfortable using 4HI on, then use it. Personally, unless I know for a fact that a certain spot up ahead of me is going to be icy/slippery, I just use extreme caution and stay in 2wd. Don't drive fast, and don't slam on the brakes.
I really like this!

For me, I've always found 4WD to be more of a low to medium speed type of tool. 4 Lo for really slow crawling, yanking the boat out of the lake, etc., and 4 Hi for better traction while driving at slower speeds in deep snow, on ice, etc. My one golden rule is that if I'm driving highway speeds and I need 4WD for better traction, I just slow down. The way I look at it is that if I need 4WD to maintain highway speeds safely, it's simply too fast to be travelling for the conditions. If I can't run highway speeds in 2WD, I slow down. That might be a little conservative, but then again, I've never come close to ditching my truck or losing control. It's one thing to have to take evasive manouvers while you are clicking along at 30mph or something like that, but trying the same thing at 50 or 60 is a whole other matter.

Oh and the other golden rule is that 4WD isn't a replacement for good snow and winter tires if you live in a severe climate. Always have good tires and use 4WD when needed.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Dont use chains for recovery. Use proper tow straps.
Good advice. Let me add it's a good idea to hang a heavy blanket over the strap (or chain). If it should break this will prevent it from going through the windshield or rear window.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:50 AM
Well...definitely don't go wheelin' (especially in mud) without a tow rope, shackles are a good idea too. Like the others said, you should engage your 4wheel drive once in a while.

Old 09-22-2009, 12:53 AM
Oh ...and don't be accelerating while shifting into 4wheel drive.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Do's and Dont's