2009 - 2014 F-150

4x4 Do's and Dont's

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Do's and Dont's

I am starting this thread for people to give their input and information on using 4x4.

This is my first truck to have 4x4 so I hope to get some good information from this thread. Where I can/can't use it etc etc.

Maybe this thread will be of such use it will become a sticky!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Maybe this thread will be of such use it will become a sticky!
Not if you double post it in more than one forum.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:05 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I'd recommend using 4wd whenever 2wd wont get the job done.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by statikuz
Not if you double post it in more than one forum.
Haha just trying to cover more ground

Old 06-30-2009, 02:15 AM
best advice i can give is never go alone...

Old 06-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Don't use 4wd on dry pavement (or even wet pavement in most cases). You can majorly break drivetrain parts doing this; especially if you are steering in one direction or another. 4wd is not equal to AWD and vice versa. The 4wd system is not designed to give in these conditions like AWD systems are. Pretty much any condition where 2wd is giving you good enough momentum without having to spin your tires excessively is a situation that you don't need to use 4wd.

As far as tips for using your 4wd in different conditions:

-Air your tires down in sand. This gives your truck a wider footprint which is good in soft conditions such as these. Keep your momentum up especially if you're climbing a dune. Stay in 4Hi as 4Lo would hinder your momentum. If you get mildly stuck, most of the time you can just put it in reverse and goose yourself out. If you're majorly stuck, well, hope you brought a friend with a truck or at least maybe some shovels.
-Not a real big fan of mud, but my experience with it is to keep yourself in 4Hi, again to keep your momentum up. If it's a real thick mud, 4Lo may be a better option. Turn your wheels back and forth to help keep yourself going.
-Rock, take it slow. Again, air your tires down for a wider footprint. And 4Lo is a major asset in these conditions, don't be afraid to use it.

Happy 'wheelin.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:53 AM
dunesgirl hit all the high points. Some owners kick on 4x4 hi every couple of months (without turning, going straight) for a short duration to make sure the thing still works.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
dunesgirl hit all the high points. Some owners kick on 4x4 hi every couple of months (without turning, going straight) for a short duration to make sure the thing still works.
I do this every now and then even in our stock Explorer,,,just to make sure.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:27 AM
Originally Posted by Dunesgirl
Don't use 4wd on dry pavement (or even wet pavement in most cases). You can majorly break drivetrain parts doing this; especially if you are steering in one direction or another. 4wd is not equal to AWD and vice versa. The 4wd system is not designed to give in these conditions like AWD systems are. Pretty much any condition where 2wd is giving you good enough momentum without having to spin your tires excessively is a situation that you don't need to use 4wd.

As far as tips for using your 4wd in different conditions:

-Air your tires down in sand. This gives your truck a wider footprint which is good in soft conditions such as these. Keep your momentum up especially if you're climbing a dune. Stay in 4Hi as 4Lo would hinder your momentum. If you get mildly stuck, most of the time you can just put it in reverse and goose yourself out. If you're majorly stuck, well, hope you brought a friend with a truck or at least maybe some shovels.
-Not a real big fan of mud, but my experience with it is to keep yourself in 4Hi, again to keep your momentum up. If it's a real thick mud, 4Lo may be a better option. Turn your wheels back and forth to help keep yourself going.
-Rock, take it slow. Again, air your tires down for a wider footprint. And 4Lo is a major asset in these conditions, don't be afraid to use it.

Happy 'wheelin.
Dunesgirl this was very helpful! Thank you for your input and advice!

Old 06-30-2009, 11:38 AM
NEVER engage 4wd when rear wheels are spinning faster than the front. All the other things I can think of have been covered..

Oh and if you're going to use 4low, you have to stop, shift to neutral, switch to 4low, and wait till you hear a noise and the 4lo light comes on in your instrument cluster. Do the same thing whenever you're disengaging 4low.

Last edited by MOford21; 06-30-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Dont use chains for recovery. Use proper tow straps.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure where you live, but 4X4 is a major asset in the snow, however it wont help you stop. You would be surprised at how many trucks and SUVs from out of state I see on the side of the road in the mountains during the winter. They think 4X4=never stuck, and drive a 80 on the ice.

4lo make your gear ratio very low, don't go mashing the gas! Have fun wheeling.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:04 PM
4WD in the snow is a godsend, its the stopping in the snow that gives people trouble. People forget how to drive when a couple inches gets on the ground.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
This is a great idea, especially if you do not use your 4wd very much. However, I prefer to do this off road where there is no traffic. If something were wrong with it such as the auto hubs have seized up (which can happen when you don't use it ) it can actually lock your front tires up when you engage 4wd. Auto hubs seize up when the grease inside dries from non-use. If you engage 4wd every month or two for a few moments, this can be prevented. Just make sure you drive a little while engaged so that whole drivetrain can move a little.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by FX41
Not sure where you live, but 4X4 is a major asset in the snow, however it wont help you stop. You would be surprised at how many trucks and SUVs from out of state I see on the side of the road in the mountains during the winter. They think 4X4=never stuck, and drive a 80 on the ice.

4lo make your gear ratio very low, don't go mashing the gas! Have fun wheeling.

I live in Iowa and four wheel drives and front wheel drives are what you see in the ditches in the winter time most of all. They think they are invinceable. When using four wheel drive use some common sense and you will be fine.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Do's and Dont's