2009 - 2014 F-150

Who Regrets Lifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I fully understand how it will change the truck. I understand that the turning radius gets worse. I know that you will feel the weight of the bigger tires. And here in Hawaii that means anytime I need to go anywhere downtown I will have to drive the wifes mini. Keeping all that the changes in mind ... I guess what I am asking is that is there anyone who has lifted there truck wished they had not done it. If so why?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:54 PM
I think sometimes I regret lifting mine, because even though I love how it looks lifted and everything, I'm still spending money. After a lift,tires, wheels, programmer, nfab steps,steering stabilizers, toolbox, and tint I still have to get a full size spare for my truck ($717) and I am upgrading the brakes so I have more stopping power with the bigger tires ($900) And my truck is still almost new...only 27,500 miles. So, I hope after this that will be about it. So just try to plan for some of these other things when you get ready to lift. Good luck!

Last edited by radar's FX4; 07-25-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by radar's FX4
I think sometimes I regret lifting mine, because even though I love how it looks lifted and everything, I'm still spending money. After a lift,tires, wheels, programmer, nfab steps,steering stabilizers, toolbox, and tint I still have to get a full size spare for my truck ($717) and I am upgrading the brakes so I have more stopping power with the bigger tires ($900) And my truck is still almost new...only 27,500 miles. So, I hope after this that will be about it. So just try to plan for some of these other things when you get ready to lift. Good luck!
Are you getting a brand new one? I wouldnt do that, because say you never need it, after a few years tires can go bad. I just went to use tire shop and got a tire with about 1/4 tread and a cheap rim.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:36 AM

thats what i did on my 01 too, just put a 33in tire on my spare rm, then put it back under the truck. Its a temporary fix anyway. Now i gotta try to stuff a 35 under there, doubt it will work with duals though.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 AM
I am not going to do such a lift because of the warranty issues. If I keep the truck stock all the things like bushings and drive shafts and wheel bearings will all be fine and covered until the warranty is up.

Once the warranty is up I will put a mild lift on for looks and be done with it. I think the biggest problem that I personally have had with lifted trucks is the constant tinkering. I feel a vibration, where is it it? What is wrong with it? Drove me nuts. Then there was the drive ability and reliability issue. I never really felt the truck was as trust worthy as it was stock.

Ever try to make an emergency maneuver at highway speeds in a lifted truck? I saw my life flash before my eyes and that was just on 35"s.

So for me, for ME fellas, the reasons I have regretted lifting in the past were:
=Warranty
=Piece of mind / reliability
=Safety

Old 07-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by IORf150
Are you getting a brand new one? I wouldnt do that, because say you never need it, after a few years tires can go bad. I just went to use tire shop and got a tire with about 1/4 tread and a cheap rim.
well, i went to 4wheelparts there in tampa and they told me i couldn't use my 18 inch spare with a 35 on it. and i've called all over several places trying to find a used 18 or 20 inch used wheel with a used 35x12.50 inch tire and just cant find one. any ideas?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM
Owners of lifted trucks have smaller than average male units - it's a statistical fact. :o

Not to say there are not exceptions to the rule but, too often, the lift is compensating for inadequacies in other areas.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Real
Owners of lifted trucks have smaller than average male units - it's a statistical fact. :o

Not to say there are not exceptions to the rule but, too often, the lift is compensating for inadequacies in other areas.

Last edited by 96grimreaper; 07-26-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:05 PM
I sometimes regret running a level on my truck. I really wish I went with a lift. I wanted a 4.5" Rancho, but opted to go cheap and do the level for aesthetics. But with the 6.5ft box, I could not stand the rake of the truck. It just looked so long, low and wimpy.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
well, i went to 4wheelparts there in tampa and they told me i couldn't use my 18 inch spare with a 35 on it. and i've called all over several places trying to find a used 18 or 20 inch used wheel with a used 35x12.50 inch tire and just cant find one. any ideas?
4wheelparts are idiots. Theres a place here where I live that sells used tires. A lot of time offroad shops have use tires from trades or mechanic shops. Where abouts do you live.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by IORf150
4wheelparts are idiots. Theres a place here where I live that sells used tires. A lot of time offroad shops have use tires from trades or mechanic shops. Where abouts do you live.

i'm here in bradenton.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Real

Yea but didnt you know most lift kits come with P-ness enhancing kits included. And you can add the pills to your order for just a bit more.

So beware of used lift kits, wouldnt touch that piece that you dont recognize.

Old 07-27-2010, 02:24 AM
Originally Posted by 04x4SCREW
I am going to lift 6" on 35's, my Jeep buddy keeps telling me I will regret it.. I have lifted other trucks before and never really regretted it. But this will be my first lift on a new truck... Any advice or warning from those of you that are further down the road from me?
where in Hawaii are you? I live in AMR and thinking about lifting mine either 3 or 6 " as well. I work in the federal building downtown and I know for a fact the 6" lift wont fit, the 3 will be pushing it. but hey I can always park in the overflow lot during the day and at night on the side of the road since meters are free then

Old 07-27-2010, 05:39 PM
I took the 2" lift off my 2010 after 5k miles. I got tired of climbing the tires to get stuff from the bed and the two dogs had a leap to get in and out of crates daily. I didn't like the angle on the CV axles and upper control arms/ball joints. I guess I am getting old and lame, I decided to keep it stock and just take care of basic maint.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 PM
I run 35x12.50x20's and my spare is a 325/65r18. They are the same outside diameter. That's all that matters. You can have 4 different rims as long as the OD of the tire is the same (within a 1/2").

I regret lifting my truck all the time, but then I look at it, and realize how sweet she looks, and I suddenly don't care about the mileage, vibrations, small repairs here and there. No one builds a 500 hp diesel pickup with mileage and durability in mind, They build em to blow peoples minds. I think most would agree that when you lift a truck, or any other major mod, you have to accept the fact that more upgrades will be added, small things will need adjustment, and so on, if you are going to lift, just commit and go all the way with it.

My opinion anyway

Quick Reply: Who Regrets Lifting?