2009 - 2014 F-150

Tranny problems on the 09?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not run into this situation with my new truck yet. Could it be that the dealer applied this TSB already, prior to my purchase of it?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by BigTRQ
I've not run into this situation with my new truck yet. Could it be that the dealer applied this TSB already, prior to my purchase of it?
nope, dealers can't claim warranty repairs except for recalls on vehicles that have not been sold.

but if it was built late enough it could have the update applied at the factory.

Last edited by Deano-FX4; 08-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by KazK
Took my Lariat in today, didn't even have the thing for 24hours before this problem occurred.
well being a software issue if your pcm doesn't have the latest cal then it was going to happen. just remember there is nothing mechanically wrong with the trans.

its like updated drivers for your computer it just makes things work better.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:34 PM
I had mine in today for the TSB 11-08-05 or whatever it was. Shifting from 1st to 2nd felt like a studder step. I've only driven home from the dealer, but it does seem better. Not perfect, but better.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
I had mine in today for the TSB 11-08-05 or whatever it was. Shifting from 1st to 2nd felt like a studder step. I've only driven home from the dealer, but it does seem better. Not perfect, but better.
it will get better over time as it learns your driving habits.

Old 08-14-2009, 10:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Just for clarification, has anyone with the 4.6 3v and 6-speed taken theirs in and gotten the service done?

Old 08-21-2009, 04:57 PM
I have 1 4.6 with a production date of march 09. They told me thre were no updates available. I have rough 1 to 2 up****s and clunks when it downshifts as i stop.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:52 PM
Actually i am pretty sure i saw a TSB doe the 4.6l specifically the other day.

yup i did TSB 09-15-4 its a reflash of the TCM

FORD: 2009 F-150

ISSUE:
Some 2009 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 4.6L 3V engine and 6R80 transmission may exhibit the following drivability symptoms: hesitation during light throttle 1-2 upshift, harsh downshift while coasting 15 MPH (24 Km/h). Some vehicles may have a diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0741 torque converter performance code present or stored

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure to correct this condition

Old 08-22-2009, 07:59 PM
This is my second '09 since mid June and the first truck did not have the tranny issue...smooth as butter. The replacement truck, however, has this issue and I believe it was built after the original?

I have seen several posts stating that the TSB does not work or if it does, it only last for about a week. Has anyone actually had good luck with the TSB?

I also read that it you try baby the truck (increasing the MPG) the problem is worse than if you give 'er a little extra pedal? I have been driving the truck a little harder this week and the shifting is a little better, BUT the initial "clunk" from the torque converter during the first 2 feet is just as bad and is made worse any time I have the trailer in tow. It is really starting to **** me off.

The hard down shifting is also still present and is just plain terrible in stop and go traffic. It’s like the drive shaft is all bound up, breaks free and then gets twisted up again.

I will take it to the dealer soon, as I have 1,700 miles on the truck…the ‘puter should have learned something by now.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:24 PM
Is new for 09 two piece drive shaft to blame?

Old 09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Round II, Kazk, do you guys have an update?

Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by johnyb777
Round II, Kazk, do you guys have an update?
I am a Putz..no dealer update.

Just finished our last summer vacation, kids started school and now I am covering for someone at work. Hello 90 hour work week. Anyway, I am hoping to get it to the dealer either at the end of the week or early next week.

I do have another 1K on the truck after our last road trip. I have determined that I definitely also need the TSB for the transmission coolant gauge. Damn thing can not hold a steady temp reading to save its life.

Question for Deano:

Is it possible that since the temp gauge continues to reset itself at stoplights (drops to cold and slowly increases the temp back to normal), that the transmission thinks it is “cold” after the reset; making the truck down shift hard in stop and go traffic more often?

Best Regards,

RoundII

Old 09-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Dropped RoundII off at the dealer at 8 AM along with copies of the TSBs, picked up the rental and headed off to work.

They called around 3:30 and stated that they wanted to keep it until Friday noon. Stated that the TSB for the Transmission Temperature Gauge Drops to Cold at Stops (TSB 09-11-1) and the harsh shifting Transmission (TSB 09-11-5) were completed, but they had not had a chance to drive it around per the Tranny TSB.

They also stated that no codes had been thrown…although I mentioned the abrupt grab of the torque converter when first starting out from every stoplight (with a ginger amount of gas pedal) and that it was quite a bite worse when the trailer is in tow. They seem to think the reflash might have taken care of this issue too (although they have NOT driven it)?

We will see if there is any improvement once I pick it up and have a chance to drive it for a few days and the transmission relearns my “old man” driving style.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks RoundII, please keep us posted!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:24 AM
Dealer finished early, so I picked the truck up Friday morning…they had driven it ~5 miles. (Failed to mention before that the truck had just under 2,900 miles on it.)

Drove it back to work ~5 miles and it seemed better, but traffic was light. Drove home from work that evening and let me tell you, it is worse now than prior to the update. Now it bogs slightly in second and third, shifting from 1st to 2nd and 4th to 5th is more abrupt and again it does not know what gear to be in. Still shifts down to first before it should. Previously it would shift around the 10 MPH mark…now it is at 3 to 5 MPH. Was averaging 12.2 MPG (over ¾ of a tank of gas) before I dropped it off at the dealer…when I got home it said 10.1 MPG. How can the MPG drop 2 miles MPG in less than 20 total miles? Oh yeah, the initial grab of the torque converter is as prevalent as ever.

Drove it another 15 miles today. Immediately after leaving the house I was coasting through the neighborhood at around 20 MPH and you could feel the tranny kicking on and off?! It was like I was feathering the throttle. I know it takes a few days for the computer to relearn your driving style per the TSB…but this is really pissing me off. I will cross my fingers.

PS. My daughter rolled down the rear passenger window last night and the damn thing would not go back up. Had to sit in the driveway and wait for 30 seconds and then hit the up button…it would move 3 inches and stop. Had to repeat until the window was up. Good thing too, since it poured down rain today. Back to the dealer….not loving this truck right now and this is my second one! Seriously disappointing.

Quick Reply: Tranny problems on the 09?