2009 - 2014 F-150

Reapplying the "4x4" stickers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reapplying the "4x4" stickers

About a week ago I removed the 4x4 bed stickers from my Plat...I'm generally a "less is more" kind of guy - but I just can't get used to the look w/o them. Somehow it makes the bed side look shorter and the truck just doesn't look as rugged (side view). Reordered them today at $25.00/ea! Anyone else remove thiers...would be curious to hear your thoughts

UPDATE: I did reapply the stock 4x4 decals yesterday and (IMO) they look great back in place. The alignment is very easy as each decal's backing paper comes with locator tabs that you align with the rear taillight housing and the rear fender arch. 1st one has a few very small bubbles that I will either live with or eventually replace the decal. The 2nd one (passenger side) came out perfect. I found the trick is to align the sticker then slowly remove about 2" of the paper backing on the wheel arch end. Before sticking that part down realign THEN stick down that end of the decal and remove the remaining backing. Simply apply the decal from that side working through to the other side (work from the center line of the decal out to the edges). No bubbles at all!!

Last edited by HotLap; 07-20-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:29 PM
I took the 4x4 stickers off my Lariat Screw, 5.5 bed. I think it makes the bed look longer. I've been very pleased.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:33 PM
I done a simple photoshop to get an idea of how it would look and didnt like it either hotlap. Back of truck just looks to bare and empty. They should be very easy to get them back and level. I use masking tape to box out the area im going to place stickers so that they end up in the correct place and level.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:30 PM
Its all personal preference but I like the look without the stickers. Stickers cheapen the look of such a nice truck.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:03 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
About a week ago I removed the 4x4 bed stickers from my Plat...I'm generally a "less is more" kind of guy - but I just can't get used to the look w/o them. Somehow it makes the bed side look shorter and the truck just doesn't look as rugged (side view). Reordered them today at $25.00/ea! Anyone else remove thiers...would be curious to hear your thoughts
You sound like me - can't leave things that are good alone.

How about a custom sticker saying "HotLap" instead of the usual?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I removed mine on my last 2 trucks now and never looked back. Looks much "cleaner" without them. I feel the opposite of you, I actually think it makes the short bed look slightly longer....

Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Well I dont have an 09' like you guys, but I took mine off and experimented with 'other' FX4 stickers, even a version of the 09 FX4. Believe me when I say its more trouble than its worth to try and re-apply them, you will never get them straight and even if they look straight you will always find some way to nit-pick them Plus like everyone else said its much cleaner w/out them especially on your platinum! Lots of good looking 09's around here already too!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm with the $1 stickers on a $40k+ truck looks cheap group. I even removed many badges from my vehicles, which also makes it easier to detail.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:54 AM
The FX4 decal came off the first day I had the truck. I just don't like the way the look. I like the look of a clean bed.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by BigNate
The FX4 decal came off the first day I had the truck. I just don't like the way the look. I like the look of a clean bed.
I have a silver fx4 as well. Can you post a photo of yours with out the sticker. Thanks.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
gpo
I had to get a sticker put back on after the dealership painted a rear quater panel. They had it in the back for about 2 minutes and it looks fine. I personally like the decals.

Old 07-15-2009, 01:43 PM
I had a professional sign/graphics shop remove and install decals. The charge was $20.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by BIG_ole_TRUCK
You sound like me - can't leave things that are good alone.

How about a custom sticker saying "HotLap" instead of the usual?
LOL...too true I just cant stand not being able to mod my vehicles and the truck had been sitting in the sun and well...they just sort of peeled off right in my hands One nice thing is that with a little patience and skill, most things we do to our beloved trucks can be reversed

Old 07-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
I done a simple photoshop to get an idea of how it would look and didnt like it either hotlap. Back of truck just looks to bare and empty. They should be very easy to get them back and level. I use masking tape to box out the area im going to place stickers so that they end up in the correct place and level.

Great idea on the masking tape! I'm going to head down to my local Ford dealer and measure a new one for the exact placement. I'm also going to see if they would look better slightly repositioned (doubtful though). Thanks for the great idea. Another thought is that I'm going to keep the new stickers cool and install them in the shade...that way they don't stretch when I'm putting them back on...they streched like a **** when I removed them

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
Well I dont have an 09' like you guys, but I took mine off and experimented with 'other' FX4 stickers, even a version of the 09 FX4. Believe me when I say its more trouble than its worth to try and re-apply them, you will never get them straight and even if they look straight you will always find some way to nit-pick them Plus like everyone else said its much cleaner w/out them especially on your platinum! Lots of good looking 09's around here already too!
Sooo true, I've already been thinking that if I get one of them even slightly off it's gonna bug the shiat out of me everytime I see it...great to know there are other "a-retentive" folks like me here on the board - cheers

Quick Reply: Reapplying the "4x4" stickers