2009 - 2014 F-150

Help with Buying/Price

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Buying/Price

Ok here's the deal, I've been reading about the deals that a lot of guys have been getting in the 20-22% range, so I know that it's possible, but apparently not anywhere near me. I'm in the New York Metro area (northern suburbs on the Jersey border) and every dealer within a hundred miles refuses to go lower than 17% off msrp. My best deal so far is for the truck I really want: 09 4x4 SS Screw 5.6' bed 5.4l fx4 with cloth captains chairs, preferred equip group, LT275/65R18, 3.73, Sony radio, Sync, Running boards, power sliding rear window, fx4 plus package, tailgate access step, driver's package, trailer brake controller and Rearview camera.
Total MSRP is: $41,410
Dealer's Final Lowest Price: $34,277 (17.22%) off msrp

I've haggled with this dealer for 3 days over the phone and internet and he's dropped the price 3 times, and I got a call from the dealerships owner tonight and he stated that he absolutely can't / won't sell the truck for any less. So my question to you guys is, is it possible that some dealers REALLY can't write a 20-22% off MSRP deal? Is it possible that ford gives different pricing to dealers in different parts of the country? I can't figure out why a dealer in this economy with 27 F-150's left on his lot with the 2010's only 2 months away would be so hard assed and lose a sale because he won't make a deal that other dealers are obviously making money on. I'm probably gonna buy this truck because it is the exact truck I want, but it would kill me to know that I left $400 to $1,600 on the table. Thanks for reading this rambling mess and I'd appreciate any thoughts you have.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Well you can do what I did and play three or four dealers against each other, however sometimes this can backfire on you so be careful. It took me about a week of haggling to get to the price I wanted, so if you're at three days and already at the 17-18% line you're doing pretty good. Personally I would walk away, tell the salesman you have to think about it for a while. This is going to add pressure to him and the sales manager because they're thinking you're going to another dealer. Just sit back and wait it out for a day. The salesman will call and won't offer you anything. Tell him you're really interested in the truck but the price isn't anywhere in comparision to what you wanted to pay (basically making the deal sound hopeless). He might hit you back with "well I think it's too much truck for ya". Don't even begin to entertain that type of BS. Just hit him back something and then you're even again. Allow him to talk for a few minutes and then tell him you've got to go and run some numbers on your end. Take about 30-45 minutes and call him back, tell him you'll NEED another $1500 off the price and it's a deal. He will then run to his sales manager and ask, he'll also tell the sales manager that if they can get the extra $1500 off then you're committed. He'll probably come back with well they said blah...blah...blah. Remember it's your money not the salesmans or the sales managers, ensure you remind the salesman of that at this point. I have a tendency to be extremely rude/crude and bark orders as if I'm the one in charge. I always use comments like "you will" and "you're not fooling anyone". It gets people into the follower mentality. This tends to work for me at this point in the ball game but then again I'm in the military and make that a major point when I walk into the dealer. I also ask to work with the sales manager exclusively so I can cut out the middle man BS (salesman) and minimize the running around and waiting. So what I'm saying is figure out what role you want to play and begin playing it immediately. But change it up a little. Also in referrence to the owner, I could care less if he is the owner of the dealership or not there's always a way to lower your price. Seems as though you've haggled a decent price, but there's more money out there that can be deducted. Stand by your price, they might not like it but then again they'll begin to respect you for not folding under pressure like a lawn chair-be firm. Basically turn them into the lawn chair. Another thing that has helped me is by taking my laptop into the dealer that I feel confident will make the deal. Previous to this I've obtained the email addresses of other salesmen at other dealers. When the salesman runs to his sales manager I'm typing emails to and recieving emails from these other dealers. I usualy adjust the deals by clicking on reply and making adjustments to that deal. The salesman doesn't know to look for the reply marker on my screen and isn't any wiser to the situation. Yeah it's sneaky but it's your money. These are just some of the methods I've used to get the best deals. Perception is everything so go and get your great deal. Hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by SFssft1911; 07-17-2009 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:14 PM
sound advice. if you are that close they will make the deal, if not and you have exhausted all avenues, pay the higher price - if you really want the truck. Remember that truck cost them every day it sits on their lot. Besides I would think they dont move trucks in that part of the country like they do here in Texas. The 4 closest dealers to me (all within 11 miles) have between 55 and 70 F150s each! These dealers can go lower because of the volume.Just dont settle for something else (another truck) to get down $1600. Its YOUR money. If your happy with the deal and felt you gave it your best shot, then enjoy your new truck. GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went through a 3 week ordeal similar to yours - end result was that I paid ~17% off, and ultimately happy with my truck and deal.

But....I got on the phone and the internet, and actually found a dealer 190 miles away who did a dealer trade for the my truck - the original dealer wouldn't budge at all off the sticker (less rebate).

So, it can be done by calling a few dealers (try to get more than 50 miles away), tell them you found the exact truck you want, give them the VIN, and see what they can do.

In the end, 17% isn't bad at all - that is all I could get here in Penna.

Old 07-17-2009, 11:35 PM
I'm in the NY/NJ area too (Staten Island) and apparently the dealers didn't get that 20-25% off the MSRP memo. I looked around for a while. I got 19% off mine. Try carsdirect.com I think they were pretty helpful and gave a good price (20% off), I just had to wait a week due to a sick relative and the truck was sold. The guy said he'd rather not deal with NY dealers because they're "idiots". Can't say I disagree. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Man, I am taking SFssft1911 with me next time to the dealership. That dude takes no prisoners!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Are you talking about the final price before TTL? This would included all rebates, discounts, etc?

I work with the Internet Sales manager at my preferred dealership. He makes his own deals and does not involve anyone else until it's time to finalize the financing. Generally there's no haggling, he sells the vehicle to me at their invoice (of course they get their hold back, usually around 3% of MSRP) and then deducts any applicable rebates. I ended up about $10K off of MSRP on my '09 Platinum.

The closest he and I get to haggling is on the trade... typically goes... they are offering $xx,xxx on your trade... I say... well can you get me $xz,zxx for it? He says, yeah, the used car sales manager won't like it, but I can do that. I say, okay...

I think we spend more time scheming on making sure I get the most rebate/incentive discounts possible than we do anything else.

One helpful thing is to go on www.edmunds.com. Use their site to build the truck you want and it will give you the MSRP, Invoice, and TMV (True Market Value - what others are paying for that same truck in your area). This should give you a good idea of what you should expect to pay. Also, check out the incentives they list, and then go on the Fordvehicles.com website and check the available incentives there as well. Print them out and take them with you so you can ensure you get all that is available. I found an extra $500 rebate I was able to use because my wife is a part time college student (I knew she was good for something! ).

I refuse to deal with a salesman that has to go through the whole sales manager BS. I want to deal directly with the guy making the deal or I will go elsewhere. If I find the right person, I will be extremely loyal to them and will send folks their way.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
I was in the dealer for 2 hours and got over 28%.... I'm in Texas though, we give **** away.... and your in New York, big difference... lol

Old 08-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I got 24% off.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokestone
sound advice. if you are that close they will make the deal, if not and you have exhausted all avenues, pay the higher price - if you really want the truck. Remember that truck cost them every day it sits on their lot. Besides I would think they dont move trucks in that part of the country like they do here in Texas. The 4 closest dealers to me (all within 11 miles) have between 55 and 70 F150s each! These dealers can go lower because of the volume.Just dont settle for something else (another truck) to get down $1600. Its YOUR money. If your happy with the deal and felt you gave it your best shot, then enjoy your new truck. GOOD LUCK!
SFssft1911...I like your style man! Depending on the sales style of the sales manager sometimes I have to adopt the "take no prisoner" approach, so I'm taking note here. One thing I'd like to add is do your homework. Know who the #1 and #2 volume sales dealers in your area and find an angle through that competition.

I think that smokestone has a good point about the regional sales figures and is giving you sound advice in getting it if that is EXACTLY what you're looking for. One thing's for sure is that the dealer WILL call you back and...you still have the leverage in the deal.

If he won't go down in price anymore and it's EXACTLY what you want, try to negotiate for the extended warranty and/or extras. I got the dealer to waive the destination fees and got my 6yr 75K warranty for very little money.

Good Luck Brother,
LARI