2009 - 2014 F-150

Has Ford fixed the door rust issues on the newer trucks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has Ford fixed the door rust issues on the newer trucks?

Hi, new here. I'm thinking about getting a new 09 Supercrew or possibly an 08 (I'll post in that forum too about this) but I was wondering about door rust. I know it was a big problem in the late 90's to early part of this decade. Just curious. I currently have a 97 F350 Crewcab, but I'm thinking of down sizing, might even get another 350, but really the Supercrew is all the truck I really need.
Thanks
Jerry

Old 07-23-2009, 12:17 AM
Technical Article Contributor

If you are talking about the bottom of the door were the metal is fold from the outside in, then yes. If is no longer folded tight but left with about 1/8" space for water to drain out.

I know what you are talking about too, my 97 f150 had the same problem

Old 07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
You'll still have corrosion from dissimilar metals contacting each other. As long as the grade of steel forming the door structure is different than the skin, corrosion will occur (over time).

Old 07-24-2009, 05:58 PM
WOW...I'd never heard about this issue on the '04's and up My '05 never had it an my '09 BETTER NOT I wonder if it's due to those with a <poor aim> when on the side of the road releiving themselves....I'm just saying

Old 07-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Dissimilar metal corrosion takes years to develop.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:54 PM
1997 Yes; 2004 No; 2009 Yes (so far)

I would imagine this issue was most likely with the '97MY. I recall seeing a bit of rust around the inner corner edges, but certainly nothing to concern myself with. Perhaps over a long period of time it would have become visible on the exterior, but I had mine for 7 years and it never changed, just a couple small spots on the interior door corner, never changed in all the years I owned it. However, the '97MY did have an issue with the rear bumpers rusting through, it was just starting to creep through in 2 small spots when I sold mine (7 years). Now that did suck. Boy did I love my '97, what a great truck! Quiet as a mouse, never a lick of trouble! 1997 F-150, baby!

Never noticed any rust issues with my '04MY, except the trailer hitch. It was painted black but must have been real poor quality paint because it wasn't long before that thing started getting rust on it. That, and the fact that 2-3 months before I sold mine, one of the Ford logo's in the center of the Lariat rim came loose and fell off. Several others in the center were also becoming bubbled-up/brittle. I had that one for 5 years, and the one sticker or whatever they were in center of Lariat rim fell off just before I traded it. This truck also developed a massive amount of rattles, the rear-slider willwork/won't work someday's issue, and worst of all, an absolutely incredible engine whine that NEVER went away as long as you were giving the truck gas, at ANY speed. I grew to hate this one because of the noises, but mostly because of the engine whine which reverberated your inner membranes to the point you wanted to jump out of your own skin. Thank God almighty my '04 is gone, what a POS!!!

I expect I'll have my '09 for 5-7 years, or whenever Ford redesigns again. If any issues come up you can be sure I'll complain about them here. Luckily, I hardly ever post anymore because this one is so perfect. Even the one rattle inside hasn't pissed me off enough yet to try and figure out where it's coming from (I think underneath passenger seat). Not yet, anyways.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
I would imagine this issue was most likely with the '97MY. I recall seeing a bit of rust around the inner corner edges, but certainly nothing to concern myself with. Perhaps over a long period of time it would have become visible on the exterior, but I had mine for 7 years and it never changed, just a couple small spots on the interior door corner, never changed in all the years I owned it. However, the '97MY did have an issue with the rear bumpers rusting through, it was just starting to creep through in 2 small spots when I sold mine (7 years). Now that did suck. Boy did I love my '97, what a great truck! Quiet as a mouse, never a lick of trouble! 1997 F-150, baby!

Never noticed any rust issues with my '04MY, except the trailer hitch. It was painted black but must have been real poor quality paint because it wasn't long before that thing started getting rust on it. That, and the fact that 2-3 months before I sold mine, one of the Ford logo's in the center of the Lariat rim came loose and fell off. Several others in the center were also becoming bubbled-up/brittle. I had that one for 5 years, and the one sticker or whatever they were in center of Lariat rim fell off just before I traded it. This truck also developed a massive amount of rattles, the rear-slider willwork/won't work someday's issue, and worst of all, an absolutely incredible engine whine that NEVER went away as long as you were giving the truck gas, at ANY speed. I grew to hate this one because of the noises, but mostly because of the engine whine which reverberated your inner membranes to the point you wanted to jump out of your own skin. Thank God almighty my '04 is gone, what a POS!!!

I expect I'll have my '09 for 5-7 years, or whenever Ford redesigns again. If any issues come up you can be sure I'll complain about them here. Luckily, I hardly ever post anymore because this one is so perfect. Even the one rattle inside hasn't pissed me off enough yet to try and figure out where it's coming from (I think underneath passenger seat). Not yet, anyways.

Hey Comet...speaking of u=your '04...you need to update your stats I'm still enjoying my '09 a lot and had great luck with my '05 as well.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:46 AM
Red face How'd I forget that?!

Originally Posted by HotLap
Hey Comet...speaking of u=your '04...you need to update your stats I'm still enjoying my '09 a lot and had great luck with my '05 as well.
Haha, thanks! Should be fixed now!

Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Haha, thanks! Should be fixed now!
Looking cool and stylish now...Comet

Quick Reply: Has Ford fixed the door rust issues on the newer trucks?