2009 - 2014 F-150

I need some help picking an F-150

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFssft1911,

Thank you very much for all that, it was veryyyy helpful, and I just got done reading into everything on google.

There is a Space Coast Credit Union bank right down the street from where I live; would that be an ideal place to start an account? And if so should I maybe start it now and save all my money it, so when I am 18 I will already be with them and they may be more likely to approve a small credit card for me? Just a $250 or so card maybe, or an secured credit card you talked about.

I had one other question though, how long does it take to drop your car insurance bill? I've had quotes for mine for $700 up to even $1300 per month, and most of them require a down payment of $1000+ as well as the monthly payment for the first month, but my fiance's dad only pays $80 a month for his (and to be honest he drives much more recklessly me xD)

EDIT: Thanks fordmantpw, I'll probably end up doing that as well, hopefully I can get approved for a $4k loan with no credit when I'm 18.

Anyways, thanks to EVERYONE that helped actually, you guys have a very nice community going here, and I wasn't expecting this much help when I first posted, I was half expecting a bunch of "hardcore" truck drivers yelling at me about how a 17 year old doesn't deserve to own such a truck or something lol.

Last edited by Xydin; 07-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
But good luck getting 5% interest with no credit history and being 17!

Exactly. People were showing him the worst case scenario. I showed probably the best case at 5% and it is still high. $700 a month for the truck + $700 a month for insurance is insane.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally Posted by Xydin
SFssft1911,

Thank you very much for all that, it was veryyyy helpful, and I just got done reading into everything on google.

There is a Space Coast Credit Union bank right down the street from where I live; would that be an ideal place to start an account? And if so should I maybe start it now and save all my money it, so when I am 18 I will already be with them and they may be more likely to approve a small credit card for me? Just a $250 or so card maybe, or an secured credit card you talked about.

I had one other question though, how long does it take to drop your car insurance bill? I've had quotes for mine for $700 up to even $1300 per month, and most of them require a down payment of $1000+ as well as the monthly payment for the first month, but my fiance's dad only pays $80 a month for his (and to be honest he drives much more recklessly me xD)
Have you tried Geico? $700 to $1300 a month for insurance sounds insane. I don't care what your age is.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:54 PM
could someone please tell me how i start my own thread because im having trouble with my 1999 f150 and was thinking maby someone out there could help me out

Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Rambo, I tried Geico and they said I wasn't even old enough (or experienced enough?) to get insurance from them, Progressive is the one that charged $1,300; and when when I compared quotes the lowest was $700, which was from esurance.

Either way I will probably just get added on to my fiance's dad's car insurance and pay him monthly for the extra cost, hopefully that will be a much cheaper route.

Oh and by the way Rambo that calculator you linked was very useful, I bookedmarked it, thanks.

@glenwood27

Go to the main forum page and go to the 1997 - 2003 section first off, then click on the "New Thread" button, there is one at the top and bottom of the page. Hope that helps.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:03 PM
thanks alot man

Old 07-25-2009, 11:04 PM
No problem, glad I could help ^^

Old 07-26-2009, 01:48 AM
your insurance rate wont really drop till your about 25-26, your insurance will also drop if you are married but under 23 it is still very expensive. the way i have done it to get around having to pay for high insurance was to put my dad as the co-owner that way when it came to insurance he was the primary driver (lower rates) and i was the secondary driver, there was like a 400 dollar diff with me not being on the policy. So in short you will be getting screwed by the insurance companies for a while..
also if you do go for an 04-08 f150 make sure you have the dealer give it a tune up (change the spark plugs.. they tend to get stuck in the heads) and if you go with an earlier model i think 97-03 take it to a mechanic and have him check to make sure the heads have been repaired correctly ( those model years spit out the plugs messing up the spark plug threads ).. good luck

Old 07-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Here's my take. To me anything over $500 is a mortagage. Try and get you a truck with a low interest rate and low monthly payment. If your want to do it then do it but make sure the two things I implied are available to you. I personally wouldn't spend more than $500 a month on a vehicle if I was in your shoes, maybe not even that much but that would be my limit.

Quick Reply: I need some help picking an F-150