2009 - 2014 F-150

Tonneau - BakFlip vs Extang Solid Fold (vs Avalnache)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tonneau - BakFlip vs Extang Solid Fold (vs Avalnache)

I used to drive an Avalanche and I really liked the cover on the rear. So simple and easy to use, yet so durable.

The F150 seems to have some close options, like the BakFlip or Extang Solid Fold (and I even like the foldability of them) but they also seem to have some limitation (ie: they have to be opened in order to close the tailgate, seems very awkward but its not like I can speak to their usability at all).

Is there an Avalanche style tonneau that's made for our trucks? Which is better, the BakFlip or the Extang Solid Fold? Ya'll got any thoughts on how these two compare? Can either of them hold any weight like the Avalanche could? Just curious to what the forum thinks.

Last edited by sharper4; 07-27-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from an Undercover to the BakFlip HD. In comparison, the Undercover beats it for being completly water tight, but the ease of the BlakFlip won me over. I too though it was wiered the cover has to be lifted in order to shut the tail gate, but you get used to it and it's second nature. I also like the idea of not having to remove the cover to transport something large in the bed.

As far as your other cover you mentioned, I don't have any personal knowledge. But someone will chime in.

If you go with BakFlip, get the HD - that's the aluminum version. It's the same as what Ford is selling for a higher price without the "Ford" logo on it. If interested, PM me and I will send you info on where to buy at a great price.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I have the Bakflip HD too. Lately, I've been shutting the tailgate while the cover is already closed and it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. as long as the rubber molding strip is not hanging down slightly for the tailgate to hit it.

Old 07-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I have the Bakflip HD too. Lately, I've been shutting the tailgate while the cover is already closed and it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. as long as the rubber molding strip is not hanging down slightly for the tailgate to hit it.
Steve - I have done this once.....and cringed when I did it, but no problems.

Old 07-27-2009, 10:45 PM
extang solid fold and love it..... open and close the tail gate all the time with it closed...

Old 08-03-2009, 01:58 PM
the best i bought is the tri fold ....the rugged cover make it is!!!!
can open and close the tail gate!!!!

been ising it for 3years now and still like new!!!

Quick Reply: Tonneau - BakFlip vs Extang Solid Fold (vs Avalnache)