2009 - 2014 F-150

What should I do to treat my new paint

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What should I do to treat my new paint

I am picking up my new FX4 in the next couple of days and I was wondering what I should do (if anything) to treat the new paint on my truck.
I know how to detail older vehicles but am wondering if there is anything I can do to preserve the new truck look.

Thanks

Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think a new vehicle is a perfect time to get the paint in the best condition possible and protect it.

A few weeks after I purchased my 09 I detailed the exterior. This is what I did paint wise, may not be for everyone but the paint came alive when I was finished.
  • Hand wash (two bucket method)
  • Meguiars Quick detailer to remove any remaining loose dirt, water spots etc..
  • Meguiars smooth surface clay treatment
  • Meguiars #21 synthetic polymer sealant (2 coats)
I use Micro fiber cloths for buffing everything out. I will continue to use the Quick Detailer for cleaning between washes and use Ultimate Quick Wax (both Meguiars products) to extend the incredible water beading between washes. I probably will follow the above process maybe twice or three times in a years time.

As you can see I am partial to Meguiars products as they have worked very well for me. They have such a wide array of products for any situation or purpose.

I basically washed the vehicle using a two bucket method, 1 bucket for a quality car wash soap and the other as the rinse bucket. This will prevent your Micro fiber or cloth car wash mitt from grinding the very dirt you took off back onto the surface.

I then clay the entire vehicle to remove any remaining bonded surface contaminants to achieve a glass smooth surface prior to applying the polish or wax.

You can use a good quality wax such as a carnauba base or a synthetic sealant, the choice is basically yours. I think each product gives a little different look depending on the vehicle color, with the sealants lasting a bit longer before another application is needed.

If you really want to find out more on detailing go to Meguiars car care forum, its choke full of information along with different products.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

Pics after the detailing. As you can see the paint just pops.

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-29-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
I think a new vehicle is a perfect time to get the paint in the best condition possible and protect it.

A few weeks after I purchased my 09 I detailed the exterior. This is what I did paint wise, may not be for everyone but the paint came alive when I was finished.
  • Hand wash (two bucket method)
  • Meguiars Quick detailer to remove any remaining loose dirt, water spots etc..
  • Meguiars smooth surface clay treatment
  • Meguiars #21 synthetic polymer sealant (2 coats)
I use Micro fiber cloths for buffing everything out. I will continue to use the Quick Detailer for cleaning between washes and use Ultimate Quick Wax (both Meguiars products) to extend the incredible water beading between washes. I probably will follow the above process maybe twice or three times in a years time.

As you can see I am partial to Meguiars products as they have worked very well for me. They have such a wide array of products for any situation or purpose.

I basically washed the vehicle using a two bucket method, 1 bucket for a quality car wash soap and the other as the rinse bucket. This will prevent your Micro fiber or cloth car wash mitt from grinding the very dirt you took off back onto the surface.

I then clay the entire vehicle to remove any remaining bonded surface contaminants to achieve a glass smooth surface prior to applying the polish or wax.

You can use a good quality wax such as a carnauba base or a synthetic sealant, the choice is basically yours. I think each product gives a little different look depending on the vehicle color, with the sealants lasting a bit longer before another application is needed.

If you really want to find out more on detailing go to Meguiars car care forum, its choke full of information along with different products.
http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/index.php

Pics after the detailing. As you can see the paint just pops.

+1, I couldn't have said it any better.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Your truck looks great. Thank you for the info.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Man that is awesome!!!!!
Is there really that much crap on the paint right from factory to warrant the clay bar?
Are you polishing with power or by hand?

Old 07-30-2009, 07:19 AM
APT
A great looking vehicle depends about 90% on what steps you do and how yo do them and only 10% on what products you use.

Basically, wash, clay, polish, protect.

We have an entire area dedicated to detailing. If that is insufficient, a less brand biased Autopia might help.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by Boataddict
I am picking up my new FX4 in the next couple of days and I was wondering what I should do (if anything) to treat the new paint on my truck.
I know how to detail older vehicles but am wondering if there is anything I can do to preserve the new truck look.

Thanks
Sorry to give a contrary opinion, but according to the warranty information I received with my truck, if you wax or polish your new vehicle within the first 90 days, you void the finish warranty. My dealer also emphasized this and even told me no machine wash, only hand wash, in the first 90 days.

Also, a friend who restores cars told me that with modern clear coating, just keep the car clean, quickly remove any tar or bird droppings and detail it once a year and you are set.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by jvos
Sorry to give a contrary opinion, but according to the warranty information I received with my truck, if you wax or polish your new vehicle within the first 90 days, you void the finish warranty. My dealer also emphasized this and even told me no machine wash, only hand wash, in the first 90 days.

Also, a friend who restores cars told me that with modern clear coating, just keep the car clean, quickly remove any tar or bird droppings and detail it once a year and you are set.
Yes you want to let the paint cure, it's not as bad as it was years about but you do want to let it "breath" for a little bit.

As for the rest, I'm interested to see if he hand buffed that truck or used a buffer?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Sorry to give a contrary opinion, but according to the warranty information I received with my truck, if you wax or polish your new vehicle within the first 90 days, you void the finish warranty.
I'd like to know where you read this?

I cannot find anything in the Warranty guide referring to it. In the owners guide pg 347 it has a small section on waxing, but does not say anything about waiting 90 days. Many new vehicles have most likely sat on the lot for a fair amount of time before their sold anyway. From my understanding the paint from modern factory paint shops are cured as soon as it leaves the assembly line. With the high temperature ovens combined with the type of paints they use they can be waxed almost immediately. Much different than an aftermarket bodyshop paint job. Technology is state of the art in a factory paint shop.

http://www.mobileworks.com/auto-paint-finishes.html
http://books.google.com/books?id=hmh...esult&resnum=1

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-30-2009 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally Posted by gillster
Man that is awesome!!!!!
Is there really that much crap on the paint right from factory to warrant the clay bar?
Are you polishing with power or by hand?
Most new vehicles sit on the dealers lots for some time and acid rain, bird droppings etc.. can collect.

In my own case the clay bar did not remove much in the way of any contaminants that could not be cleaned with the wash. You can tell this by looking at the clay after you've done a section. If it is pulling a bunch of stuff off you will see it in the clay. What i did notice is the incredibly smooth surface it leaves after the clay process is finished. Perfect environment for polish and wax. Any wax or sealant results will only be as good as the prep work beforehand...

I applied the sealant by hand, but it will also work with a DA polisher. Nice thing about the #21 Meguiars is that it is easily applied and buffed out by hand with minimal effort.

#21 is part of Megs professional line (Mirror glaze) and may be hard to find in a retail store. A similar product in their consumer line is NXT Tech Wax 2.0, much easier to find in a auto store. I know I may seem biased toward Meguiars products, but they have work so very well I have no reason to use anything else.

Last edited by birdshooter; 07-30-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 AM
APT
OEM paint is baked at high temperatures prior to anything added that would melt, like plastic, rubber, etc. Also, from the time the body is painted until it hits a dealer lot is about a month. Very few people buy vehicles straight off the delivery truck unless one orders it. There is no need to cure OEM paint.

Last edited by APT; 07-31-2009 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:36 PM
sweet detail job.....looks as good as it can get!!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally Posted by birdshooter
I'd like to know where you read this?
It was a separate, I think, two page leaflet. I'll dig it up.

FYI, I ordered my truck - I had it 8 days after if left the factory.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:53 PM
this is simply the best you will not be disappointed. (no i don't work for them)
http://www.zainostore.com/

Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 PM
It was a separate, I think, two page leaflet. I'll dig it up.

FYI, I ordered my truck - I had it 8 days after if left the factory.
I don't recall seeing any leaflet but I too will check again.

Here is an excerpt from the top link I provided above. This can be generalized for most of our modern factory vehicles that are being manufactured today.

WHEN TO WAX?

A topic for consideration, about which many people are misinformed, is when you can wax the vehicle or apply paint sealant. Looking back at the curing process, both the 1K and 2K systems are 90-95% cured upon cool down, after the bake process, in the factory spray booth. The additional 5-10% will cure within 3-7 days. This means that by the time any vehicle reaches its destination at a dealer, the paint is fully cured. By not applying some sort of protection to the paint surface upon delivery or shortly after, the customer is actually hurting the paint instead of helping it. Salesmen that say don't wax a car for 6-12 months are misinformed. This is a huge problem in our business because customers will tend to believe a salesman who knows nothing about paint, rather than a trained professional. This is often why fairly new cars are in such bad shape even after a short period of time.

Quick Reply: What should I do to treat my new paint