2009 - 2014 F-150

09 Aftermarket Head Unit ?'s-don't want to lose SYNC

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 Aftermarket Head Unit ?'s-don't want to lose SYNC

I found the dash kit for the 09 aftermarket head unit and I want to upgrade my head unit and all four door speakers. I have a JL 500/1v2 powering a JL 13TW5 sub and it way overpowers my highs as I knew it would. A couple stereo shops I have been to have recommended totally different speakers. I think I have 5x7 door speakers and they sound like junk. Any suggestions on a good head unit that can power some good speakers? I don't want to have to amp them. Also, should I go coax or component for the speakers, 6 1/2", 5x7 or 6x9? I also don't want to lose SYNC. I've read on here that you can buy an adapter but can't find a part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor

To me it's not worth doing. I plan on replacing my 5x7's eventually, but just run them off the the stock unit. Sync is too nice of a feature for me to mess with.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
The door speakers are 6x8. As far as I have seen kniwood has the best rms at 22 watts.
But I would amp them. I have always had a good aftermarket stereo system, but this is the first time I have amped my door speakers it sounds so much better. pioneer four ways kenwood amp.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by rickey498
The door speakers are 6x8. As far as I have seen kniwood has the best rms at 22 watts.
But I would amp them. I have always had a good aftermarket stereo system, but this is the first time I have amped my door speakers it sounds so much better. pioneer four ways kenwood amp.
6x8 and 5x7 are the same size

i would suggest running amped speakers off the stock headunit....

Old 08-04-2009, 10:19 PM
Originally Posted by bambam45249
I found the dash kit for the 09 aftermarket head unit and I want to upgrade my head unit and all four door speakers. I have a JL 500/1v2 powering a JL 13TW5 sub and it way overpowers my highs as I knew it would. A couple stereo shops I have been to have recommended totally different speakers. I think I have 5x7 door speakers and they sound like junk. Any suggestions on a good head unit that can power some good speakers? I don't want to have to amp them. Also, should I go coax or component for the speakers, 6 1/2", 5x7 or 6x9? I also don't want to lose SYNC. I've read on here that you can buy an adapter but can't find a part number. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
I was told there is an adapter that will let sync still work. It doesn't matter to me because my head unit does everything that I would want sync to do.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:51 AM
im not an audio person but i do appreciate it when it is not all base but i think this allows stock head unit with the ability to run a separate powered amp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94
i do not know the cost to even tell you if it is worth doing i know jl audio can be pricey

never mind after reading through it sounds like it tries to just clean up the sound along with adding inputs

Last edited by zblink1888; 08-08-2009 at 01:54 AM.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by zblink1888
im not an audio person but i do appreciate it when it is not all base but i think this allows stock head unit with the ability to run a separate powered amp
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_c...php?page_id=94
i do not know the cost to even tell you if it is worth doing i know jl audio can be pricey

never mind after reading through it sounds like it tries to just clean up the sound along with adding inputs
It is. But what a world of difference the CleanSweep makes if you want to keep the factory head unit. Heck, when I replaced the the door speakers, that in itself was a huge improvement.

Quick Reply: 09 Aftermarket Head Unit ?'s-don't want to lose SYNC