2009 - 2014 F-150

1st issue, my 2009 F-150.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st issue, my 2009 F-150. [Updated-Post 12]

Left for work this morning, and encountered my first issue. Gas guage showed "E", with 9 miles to empty. I was furious, thinking that someone had siphoned my tank, as I had just under a half tank last evening. Went to fill up, but only 16 gallons went in.

Trip to the dealer later, and all they did was pull a fuse and deem it "ok" again.

Me = confused and left unsatisfied by dealer.

Last edited by BigTRQ; 08-11-2009 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Did you happen to leave your key in the ignition the last time you filled up? I'm not sure if it still happens in the 09s, but I know if I don't take the key out of the ignition when filling up my 05, the gas guage doesn't go back up immediately and the info center says my driving range is a lot lower than it should be on a full tank. Though this happens right when I fill up and gradually the gas guage goes back up. Doesn't usually happen in reverse.

I'd say keep an eye on it, but if the dealer fixes the problem, why would you be dissatisfied? I guess it would have been nice to get an explanation of the problem, but maybe they don't know the cause.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by cstanek
Did you happen to leave your key in the ignition the last time you filled up? I'm not sure if it still happens in the 09s, but I know if I don't take the key out of the ignition when filling up my 05, the gas guage doesn't go back up immediately and the info center says my driving range is a lot lower than it should be on a full tank. Though this happens right when I fill up and gradually the gas guage goes back up. Doesn't usually happen in reverse.

I'd say keep an eye on it, but if the dealer fixes the problem, why would you be dissatisfied? I guess it would have been nice to get an explanation of the problem, but maybe they don't know the cause.
Hey I have that problem to with my 06 Mark LT, need to take keys out also before filling.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Frustrating that they don't tell you what happened... sounds like they tracked it down and fixed it. If it happens again, then insist on an explanation of what is causing it... if they can't figure it out, insist on a rental car while they keep your vehicle and figure it out!

Here's hoping the problem is resolved and you won't have to fool with it again!!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:20 PM
This issue happened overnight. No key left in the ignition while filling up; I was still living off of that first tank after purchase.

I did have the key in the ignition for about 20 minutes while I was putting on my WeatherTech window visors. Had to have the tunes playing while working.

I am confident that the issue was resolved, but it just seemed like they didn't want to tell me what was going on, almost like I wouldn't understand it or something. I'll get stern if needed, hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Did they tell you if the fuse was blown...or did they just "reset" the guage by taking out the fuse and replacing it? Hope that did the trick and you don't have any more issues with it. I always leave my key in the ignition when refuling...but you do need to turn off the ignition or it won't register right for awhile after that.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Didn't really say if it was blown or not, just that they did something with a fuse. I am thinking it was just pulled and replaced.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:26 PM
I have had that happen once but a little different. I knew I needed gas and was watching it climb down from 68 miles when I left work to 54 when I stopped to eat lunch. When I started the truck after lunch it said 4 miles!! I almost freaked out. I drove it like a baby, scared it would run out of fuel. When I got to the gas station it said 2 miles. I had to wait as people were at the pumps. While waiting I left it running since I was right at a pump it dropped to 1 mile before I finally got a pump. Filled it up and it stopped at 27 gal the first time I kept adding little by little until I was literally filled to the top! 29 gallons was all my 36 gal tank would hold.
Some side notes: I have put 33plus gallons in it before with stopping on the first time the pump shuts off, which is what I normally do. So yes I do have 36 gal tank and there wasn’t a mix up there.
As a rule I normally try to fill it up with a little less than 50 miles left and I normally put right around 30 gal in the tank.
Also I was on dead flat ground during all of this, no hills at all.
It hasn't happened again so I blew it off as the computer freaking out which is most likely what your dealer has done.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally Posted by lxtac
I have had that happen once but a little different. I knew I needed gas and was watching it climb down from 68 miles when I left work to 54 when I stopped to eat lunch. When I started the truck after lunch it said 4 miles!! I almost freaked out. I drove it like a baby, scared it would run out of fuel. When I got to the gas station it said 2 miles. I had to wait as people were at the pumps. While waiting I left it running since I was right at a pump it dropped to 1 mile before I finally got a pump. Filled it up and it stopped at 27 gal the first time I kept adding little by little until I was literally filled to the top! 29 gallons was all my 36 gal tank would hold.
Some side notes: I have put 33plus gallons in it before with stopping on the first time the pump shuts off, which is what I normally do. So yes I do have 36 gal tank and there wasn’t a mix up there.
As a rule I normally try to fill it up with a little less than 50 miles left and I normally put right around 30 gal in the tank.
Also I was on dead flat ground during all of this, no hills at all.
It hasn't happened again so I blew it off as the computer freaking out which is most likely what your dealer has done.
The remaining miles I'm pretty sure would be based on your current instant MPG calculation, so it could fluctuate quite a bit based on that... however your's seems pretty extreme but not out of the realm of possibility. If you had 7 gallons left, and only 50 miles to E, that would be like 7 MPG... Do you have any mods on your engine? Performance chips, etc...?

When my '05 would get down to 15 miles remaining until E it would sputter when turning or stopping hard... That 1.2 gallons sloshing around in the tank apparently had a hard time making it to the fuel pump...

Old 08-05-2009, 10:43 PM
if i get that low i get a bog when i get on it in a corner. never retune your edge while getting gas.. it took forever (a few hours) to get the full reading on the gauge. maybe the key on and parked on an incline while doing the work made the truck think it was lower than it really was and you didn't drive around enough to get the real reading?? but hey its fixed right, all good..

Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
The remaining miles I'm pretty sure would be based on your current instant MPG calculation, so it could fluctuate quite a bit based on that... however your's seems pretty extreme but not out of the realm of possibility. If you had 7 gallons left, and only 50 miles to E, that would be like 7 MPG... Do you have any mods on your engine? Performance chips, etc...?

Nope, bone stock. As for the instant mpg reading at the time it was reading 11mpg and had for 2 days. I was running E85 and was going to get my second tank of it. I was (am) doing a test to see what kind of mileage I can get from E85, 93 and 87. During this test I am taking all kinds of notes and watching all gauges very closely.
Oh and completely unrelated to this but odd, One day (the week before ) I was riding down the interstate running 80mph and scanning through the trip A - trip B – and all that when all the sudden all my gauges swept to full scale and back and all the dash lights came on. It was like it was doing a self check or reset or something. Freaked me out a little at first (since I was running 80 and I was thinking the truck shut off which it did not. But I have tried to make it do that again and never could. I know on my 04 there was a sequence of buttons you could hit to put the computer in test mode and it would do this same thing.

Johnie

Old 08-11-2009, 09:15 PM
Reproduced this issue again. Went to the gas station today, got a tank. Came hope to install my Lorado Access cover, put the key in turned all the way (not cranked, of course). Went to put the windows up/take key out, and saw that the "Low Fuel" had come on, with 2 miles left to E. I know this is false, since I have a full tank. I am parked on a slight forward incline, but that shouldn't make any difference, I'd think.

I would park like this, put windows down, crank on radio, and never had this issue in my 2004.

Any further thoughts folks?

Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crazy. sounds like another trip to the dealer is in store. Demand an explanation of what they're doing to fix it.

- NCSU

Old 08-12-2009, 09:00 AM
On my drive in to work this morning, the gauge did move up slightly, no more "X miles to E" showing up. It's still not to where it was yesterday after getting gas. I'm hoping that after sitting for 9 hours level at work today, that it will be all back to normal.

Now I know not to put the key in at my apartment and let it sit for an hour.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 AM
Angry Fuel Sender and Pump - Same thing happened to My 2009 F150

I left my house one morning with 114 miles to empty. When I got to work, I had 98. I left to go to Lunch with 38 miles to empty. As I started climbing the hill to Mc.D's, the miles to empty started falling off. In a panic, I hurried back to work without stopping (barely at lights too). I called my car dealer and they thought I was running out of GAS!!! NO..... So I had it towed to the dealership and they diagnosed it with a sender and pump not being attached to the gas tank. So after 4 days up at the shop, I pick it up TODAY!! I go to the gas station. Fill it up. 520 miles to empty. I am driving home. Pull into my driveway. 150 miles to empty.

I have owned this truck for about 2 months. It has only 4,200 miles on it. It has lived up at the dealership for about 6 weeks and at my house for about 2 weeks. If it is not the transmission shifting hard and them telling me that I have to drive it like I stole it until it learns how I drive, then it is getting the body work done because there tech scratched my truck (which they tried to deny-because they said they never opened the hood) - well that's funny because the last time I looked, how else can you put oil into a truck without opening the hood?

I am so tired of this truck already. You would think for a $40,000 truck - it would run better than my 2000 chevy with 300,000 miles. But she don't.

Quick Reply: 1st issue, my 2009 F-150.