2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With mine it is the rear dome light that is causing it to sag ,I removed the light and put 3m double sided tape between the foam blocks, and the roof, it seems to be holding.If you are reasonably handy I am sure there is a way to make a foam template that you could mount to the bottom of the liner ,under the dome light then secure it to the roof.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM
Just a quick note. Got the truck back today after the Ford repair was done to the headliner. Wasn't home for more than 1/2 hour and I got a call from Ford. They wanted to know if all was okay. They gave me a name and number to call if I had any problems. They also said they would call me back Monday as a followup to see how everything is.

In excess of 40 years I have never had a car company call me to see if a repair is okay, give me a contact point, and do a followup call. I know they are trying to build business but I find this impressive.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
KR101 that's good to hear they are following up like that.

I'm not even going to look up at mine when I get in it from now on... I don't want to know!! +$40K truck with sagging headliner is NOT a good thing in my book! If/when mine does it, they'll be hearing about it for sure!

Old 08-13-2009, 04:44 PM
KingRanch101 - can you post the TSB? Or better yet, email it? PM me and I will shoot you my email address.

Thanks again for the info!

Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In excess of 40 years I have never had a car company call me to see if a repair is okay, give me a contact point, and do a followup call. I know they are trying to build business but I find this impressive.
I am very fortunate to have a great servicing dealer. Their sales dept sucks (had to buy my truck from 190 miles away).

Every single time I have been to the service dept for something - even something minor - they have always called within the following week to be sure the fix was OK and that I was happy.

Anyway -here's hoping the fix 'sticks' this time.

Like Mickeymeanie says - I haven't even looked at mine at all, and am kind of afraid to now.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:26 PM
For those that are having headliner issues... do all or most of you park your trucks outside, in the heat/humidity?

I'm curious if this has something to do with it... my truck is in the garage at home or in the parking garage at work the majority of the time. I'm wondering if this will prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of mine coming undone...

Old 08-17-2009, 07:32 PM
Well just a short note to say that it looks as if the Ford fix for the headliner will work. It is working for me as I am in my fourth day and all is fine.

To answer Mickeymeanie I think heat has a lot to do with it. My truck does sit out and the headliner would kind of hold itself up. Bu the slightest bit of heat/humidity and down it would come. So it may lessen your chances of it coming down the way you are parking your truck now. But if it is going to come down you want it to happen during the warranty period. I don't know about you but I expect these kinds of things to be automatically correct in a rather expensive truck. Don't get me wrong. I am happy now that it is taken care of.

By the way Ford called me today to double check on the repair. Nice touch.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanch101
Well just a short note to say that it looks as if the Ford fix for the headliner will work. It is working for me as I am in my fourth day and all is fine.

To answer Mickeymeanie I think heat has a lot to do with it. My truck does sit out and the headliner would kind of hold itself up. Bu the slightest bit of heat/humidity and down it would come. So it may lessen your chances of it coming down the way you are parking your truck now. But if it is going to come down you want it to happen during the warranty period. I don't know about you but I expect these kinds of things to be automatically correct in a rather expensive truck. Don't get me wrong. I am happy now that it is taken care of.

By the way Ford called me today to double check on the repair. Nice touch.

Oh heck yeah I agree! This shouldn't even be an issue in a vehicle like this. When is the last time you had a car that the headliner sagged? 1980's... I remember my Dad telling us not to touch the headliner because it would cause it to sag eventually... But today, it is beyond reason that a +$40K vehicle would have a sagging headliner, leaking windows, and whatever else.

On that note, one has to wonder if these types of issues are related to the economy... as in worker motivation is diminished as their job security gets shakier and shakier... not beyond the realm of possibilities...

Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
On that note, one has to wonder if these types of issues are related to the economy... as in worker motivation is diminished as their job security gets shakier and shakier... not beyond the realm of possibilities...

Well after talking with a few people. Some of them at the dealer. We have come to the conclusion that they are trying to save every penny when it comes to building these things. Who ever heard of a few strips of velcro to hold a headliner up. They seem to think that Ford uses the velcro to cut costs. Of course that does not answer the other problems such as leaky windows, I had a door that leaked air and whistled at about 40 MPH, bad leather cover on the driver's seat.

You may have something about the job security situation. Gee if it is that bad at Ford what is it like for GM and Chrysler?

It seems to me, at least from where I am looking, that there quality control leaves something to be desired. Perhaps I was just the unlucky one but I don't think so.

I am pulling for Ford as it would be nice to have one American name left in the automotive industry!

Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanch101
It seems to me, at least from where I am looking, that there quality control leaves something to be desired. Perhaps I was just the unlucky one but I don't think so.

I am pulling for Ford as it would be nice to have one American name left in the automotive industry!
KR101,

Plus one on both comments. This is my first..er second Ford (see below) and the quality control is embarrassing to say the least. In my IMHO it should have nothing to do with it being a first year model. I work for a manufacturer and although our products do not cost even a 1/10 0f a new F150, we would never let these kind of issues through the line.

I am not sure what kind of sampling of new F150 owners we truly have on this forum, so it is hard to tell just how many problem trucks there are out there; 0.5%, 7.0%, etc. I do fully believe that the peeps on the site are F150 enthusiasts (I recognize the names from other F150 sites) and most generally like their truck even with the hiccups in quality they are experiencing. I count myself in both categories, but I am very disappointing that the "JOB #1” is severely lacking...

This is my second new F150 (a replacement for the first one with bad factory paint) since 6/14. The one I have now also has some less than attractive paint areas on the inside door frame areas and bed (check yours. You might be surprised.) and now I have the “WONDERFUL” tranny, poor lights, can feel the windshield wipers in the brake pedal and possible headliner issues to deal with? Go figure…maybe the paint was not THAT bad after all.

Does anyone have a good pic of the sagging headliner? After reading this post, I notice that the headliner around the rear dome light is not really attached to the roof, but it is not flopping around either. I would be interested to see just how much “play” there should be or not be. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:26 AM
WOW, I had no idea so many of you were having the headliner sag issue. My '09 Plat is doing the same thing!! I noticed it was flimsy the first day I owned it and have ignored it ever since...time to take another look. Seems like an answer would be to: 1) use more velcro and, 2) use a better adhesive and let it set overnight before attaching the headliner? I wonder if there is a "roof rail" between the headliner and the roof skin that we could drill and insert a color matching plastic fastener (like most manufacturers use anyway)?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by HotLap
WOW, I had no idea so many of you were having the headliner sag issue. My '09 Plat is doing the same thing!! I noticed it was flimsy the first day I owned it and have ignored it ever since...time to take another look. Seems like an answer would be to: 1) use more velcro and, 2) use a better adhesive and let it set overnight before attaching the headliner? I wonder if there is a "roof rail" between the headliner and the roof skin that we could drill and insert a color matching plastic fastener (like most manufacturers use anyway)?
Add me to the list. It doesn't sag so much, but almost seems as if it is just hanging there. Lot's of play when you press on it. Sure wish there was a fix, not a problem, just an annoyance.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Every morning when I go to work, I push mine up and can feel the velcro stick. Go out at lunch...sagging, so I push it back up. Get off work...sagging, push it back up again. And, this goes on every day.

And, yes, mine is parked in the heat every day. But, I still don't see that having anything to do with velcro holding. I've got a little velcro stick-on light, that runs on batteries, in the top of my tonneau cover and it stays stuck.

So, KR101, I'm assuming yours is still holding? And, the dealer fix will work?

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 PM
OK, here is what I have from my 09 FX4:

This is what it looks like when it sags.

When I pull down on the headliner. Look at the velcro on the right side (drivers side) - it's not even holding to the metal any longer!

Looking from the moon roof opening to the rear of the truck. The rear dome light is not affixed to the roof - notice the foam blocks?

Right (passenger) side velcro strips.

This is just plain sorry.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM
To MickeyMorris yes mine is still holding. It appears that after you get the factory fix everything is alright. It didn't take them long at the garage to do the repair. Only a couple of hours.

Yes ibcop it is sorry. But to coin an old phrase "it is what it is". I am sure Ford can do better. I think cutting costs caught up with them on the one. If they had done it right the first time the would not have "ticked" so many people off. This the first time I have ever had this problem in almost 45 years of driving. Gee I never even thought a manufacturer would have had a problem with the headliner!!

Quick Reply: 2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof