2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm... maybe time to bust out the Gorilla Glue! So far mine is staying in place (knocking on wood!)...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Ibcop - great pics and thanks for posting. That metal "brace bar" running across the roof just behind the sunroof opening...could be drilled for a small plastic "push pin" fastner..if you could find one (or paint one) the same color as the headliner you would be in great shape. I'm going to check my interior and see if there are other color coordinated fasteners and order a spare. In my '07 GT500 this is how Ford secures the headliner anyways (in the rear).

Old 08-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap
Ibcop - great pics and thanks for posting. That metal "brace bar" running across the roof just behind the sunroof opening...could be drilled for a small plastic "push pin" fastner..if you could find one (or paint one) the same color as the headliner you would be in great shape. I'm going to check my interior and see if there are other color coordinated fasteners and order a spare. In my '07 GT500 this is how Ford secures the headliner anyways (in the rear).
That sounds like a great idea! I wouldn't think the moon roof cover would get close to the bracket (ie hit the pins)?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:57 PM
well i too have a sagging headliner, i was able to get my hands on 3m dual lock velcro, i have used this for my transponder (ipass) and has never fallen off, i have also used this on my hard hat for a miners light and the velcro has naver came off and boy does the hard hat get dirty and it is hard as hell to remove the light from the hard hat, i will give this a try and will post the results. here is a pic

Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by animanegra
well i too have a sagging headliner, i was able to get my hands on 3m dual lock velcro, i have used this for my transponder (ipass) and has never fallen off, i have also used this on my hard hat for a miners light and the velcro has naver came off and boy does the hard hat get dirty and it is hard as hell to remove the light from the hard hat, i will give this a try and will post the results. here is a pic
That is some good stuff - I've used it before - just forgot about it.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Well i officially joined the club for falling headliners this weekend. Is it worth taking it to the dealer to fix or just buy some hd velcro and do it myself. You think they would have installed it better

Old 09-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Do it your self. They aint got a clue. Im about to goto my dealer to have a fight about them not fixing stuff properly.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:10 AM
I'm with Barritia - fix it yourself if you can. What appears to be happening is that the actual velcro is not failing...it's the adhesive that holds the velcro on that is heating up then the velcro's backing comes off the metal it was stuck to. I'd think if you used 4 or 5 times the amount of velcro that Ford originally used...it would be enough to disperse the weight of the headliner/dome light across more attachment points...and there woudn't be as much stress on the adhesive backing...

Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM
I know the feeling here in Jersey there are good and there are bad dealers for service. Ill try it myself, If I cant ill take it to the dealer I bought it from to at least get it on record for the lemon law (bargaining tool).

Old 09-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
That sounds like a great idea! I wouldn't think the moon roof cover would get close to the bracket (ie hit the pins)?
ibcop - that's a good point - one would have to use either a short pin or place it far enough to the side so it's not in the sunroof's travel. Perhaps a small one on each side...

Old 09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by smkeater
Well i officially joined the club for falling headliners this weekend. Is it worth taking it to the dealer to fix or just buy some hd velcro and do it myself. You think they would have installed it better
There is a TSB out for this - I'm gonna make them fix it - and they'll keep doing it until it's right. TSB 09-14-2.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
First I agree with Ibcop. Second I believe it is better to have the dealer do it. Then if something goes wrong down the line it is documented that they did the work. Ford does, as you may know, have a TSB out on this.

Apparently there is a special glue for this. First time around my dealer bought some glue locally that he thought would hold but it didn't.

It's not a matter of can you do it. It's a matter of the warranty that you know you paid for, a matter of having it documented, and a matter of having it done with no errors at all.

By the way they also use a different velcro than what was initially used.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by kingranch101
first i agree with ibcop. Second i believe it is better to have the dealer do it. Then if something goes wrong down the line it is documented that they did the work. Ford does, as you may know, have a tsb out on this.

Apparently there is a special glue for this. First time around my dealer bought some glue locally that he thought would hold but it didn't.

It's not a matter of can you do it. It's a matter of the warranty that you know you paid for, a matter of having it documented, and a matter of having it done with no errors at all.

By the way they also use a different velcro than what was initially used.
^^^ x2!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by ibcop
There is a TSB out for this - I'm gonna make them fix it - and they'll keep doing it until it's right. TSB 09-14-2.
Thanks ibcop!! Good info!

Old 10-02-2009, 08:32 AM
Well, I had mine at the dealership yesterday to fix this with TSB 09-14-2. Don't know what happened, but they said it didn't work and they had to re-order the parts...and would call me to setup again when the parts come in. Now, it's worse than it was.

This is what I hate, having to drop my truck off at the dealer so many times, to get something done. I had them order the TSB to fix this last week, the same time they ordered the 6-button remote start/alarm system for me. That way I could have both done at the same time...I thought.

BTW...I do like the 6-button remote start/alarm system.

Quick Reply: 2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof