2009 - 2014 F-150

2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof

Well I have had quite a time with the headliner on my '09 truck. Seems as if it keep drooping down behind the moonroof. The dealer installed a new headliner and it had the same results. Then they added wider velcro and better glue. Same results. Now they have ordered Ford's part for correcting this problem. I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago to see if the part was in. At that time I was told the part was on national backorder. All this had covered several months.

I have written Ford to find out what is going on with this part. Heard nothing.

Now I am wondering if anybody else has gone through this fiasco and what they may have done to get Ford to move. My dealer is ready to make the fix but they need the part.

By the way, in all fairness, I emailed Ford about 2 days ago as I finally got pissed. They said they would answer the email in two days. Well - still waiting.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:47 AM
well, several of us on the forum have been trying to fix this ourselves because the Ford velcro is so cheap and doesn't hold at all. We are using the Xtreme strength velcro that can be found at Home Depot, etc. So far it seems to be holding.

Ford should have done a better job on this design. actually on my dad's 08 F250 FX4 with moonroof, the headliner is very solid and has a nice lip on it that goes around the moonroof opening, they should have carried that design over to the F150.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by KingRanch101
Well I have had quite a time with the headliner on my '09 truck. Seems as if it keep drooping down behind the moonroof. The dealer installed a new headliner and it had the same results. Then they added wider velcro and better glue. Same results. Now they have ordered Ford's part for correcting this problem. I called the dealer a couple of weeks ago to see if the part was in. At that time I was told the part was on national backorder. All this had covered several months.

I have written Ford to find out what is going on with this part. Heard nothing.

Now I am wondering if anybody else has gone through this fiasco and what they may have done to get Ford to move. My dealer is ready to make the fix but they need the part.

By the way, in all fairness, I emailed Ford about 2 days ago as I finally got pissed. They said they would answer the email in two days. Well - still waiting.
Please post the results you receive from Ford - especially any part numbers, etc as I'm sure not all dealers will be aware of the "fix".

You'll end up helping many if us!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I believe that the service department did get the heavy duty velcro. I am not sure but I think it came from Lowe's. They also used some special glue. He told me about the glue but I forget the name of it. Whatever it is it sure isn't working.

I am not about to get in there and attempt to fix it and possibly screw it up worse than it is. They have a bumper to bumper warranty and I feel they should honor it. I haven't called the regional rep yet. The service manager did call him and they regional rep said that they had to do the Ford repair before he would get involved. The problem is that I feel this will last for months before they attempt to repair it. I, of course, want to get them moving. But if Ford will not respond to me then I am lost.

This is my third F-150 preceded by a new Ranger. That in itself is no big deal. But I am not one to be jerked around and then go back and by another. I hate for that to happen. So all I want them to do is get off there duff and fix this. But how does one get them to move?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by ibcop
Please post the results you receive from Ford - especially any part numbers, etc as I'm sure not all dealers will be aware of the "fix".

You'll end up helping many if us!
I will get the part number the next time I get to the garage. That may be once the part comes in and I am in for the repair.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:30 PM
wow, I spoke too soon. I just got back from lunch and noticed my liner was sagging down again even after I put on the wider xtreme velcro about 2 weeks ago.

seems the weight of the dome light is the problem and causing the sagging. I recall that the domelight on my 04 Screw was near the very back of the cab rather than in the middle like this one, although I didn't have a moonroof on that truck.

well, keep us posted on the dealer fix! thanks.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Yep the main culprit is the dome light.

I just got an answer from Ford customer service and they said the expedited the part and that I should call the dealer and make an appointment. I called the dealer and they have the part. I am taking the truck down this afternoon and getting a loaner car. They said they expect to work on it most of tomorrow and that I can pick it up later tomorrow afternoon. Well if this all works out I will calm down. It does appear that Ford can "hop to it" when they want to. That was unbelievably fast after I contacted customer service.

Anyway I will try to get the part number when I go to the dealer.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:31 PM
My velcro from lowes is still holding up. There is a proper way to place the velcro though. You have to clean the area well so the adhesive can get a got hold and then you make sure you leave ya truck in the sun most of the day so it's nice and hot and apply the velcro later on in the day and leave it over night so that the truck cools back down and the adhesive gets a lot better hold when done this way. The heat seems to activate the adhesive and then sets when it cools down.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:07 PM
I just got back from my dealer. For those interested the part number of the part for repairing the headliner is 9L3Z-1650980-Z. The operation is 091402A. Hope he this helps others who want to get this repair done under warranty.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
KingRanch101...thanks for the help and the info. Now, none of the rest of us should have to go through everything you did. Now, when I take mine to the dealer, I'll know exactly what to ask for. You'd definitely think Ford would've fixed this to start with...or even do a recall and get them all fixed. They know it's an issue...so fix it. Anyway, thanks again for doing all the leg work and passing on your findings to the rest of us.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM
I got fed up with them trying to do their fixes. Mines been into them about 3 days in total for that stupid headliner and i fixed it in 20 mins. Wish i had done that in the first place.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:26 PM
What is the actual part? That part number you provided is invalid, it's not showing up on Tasca or other online Ford part dealers. What did they do different this time for you?

Old 08-12-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
What is the actual part? That part number you provided is invalid, it's not showing up on Tasca or other online Ford part dealers. What did they do different this time for you?
They tried do that so called fix on mine. It was a pack of new velcro just like the type that was already on there. As you can guess it also failed. The dealer are not applying them correctly and letting the adhesive get a firm hold before they push the headliner back up onto them.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:06 PM
Now for stevevfx4 I don't know if the part number is right or not. All I know is I am taking right off of TSB 09-14-2. So if it is wrong then so the TSB. So as they say in school "any questions".

As for the way the dealer installs it. Well I can't control that. The kit comes with an instruction sheet. It is specifically for headliner drooping/sags.

What else can I say. I don't work for Ford. I don't work for Tasca. All I know is what I am forwarding on here from the TSB.

Sorry I have no more info.

Actually I do have more info. Under dealer coding, The basic part number is 1651944 Condition Code is 07.

The Ford part number also has nomenclature of Headliner Repair Kit.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by KingRanch101
Now for stevevfx4 I don't know if the part number is right or not. All I know is I am taking right off of TSB 09-14-2. So if it is wrong then so the TSB. So as they say in school "any questions".

As for the way the dealer installs it. Well I can't control that. The kit comes with an instruction sheet. It is specifically for headliner drooping/sags.

What else can I say. I don't work for Ford. I don't work for Tasca. All I know is what I am forwarding on here from the TSB.

Sorry I have no more info.

Actually I do have more info. Under dealer coding, The basic part number is 1651944 Condition Code is 07.

The Ford part number also has nomenclature of Headliner Repair Kit.
Yep thats what they called the kit that they used to repair mine. Dont expect it to last. I hope it does to save you the hassle of going back there.

Quick Reply: 2009 headliner issure for truck w/moonroof