Just how safe is that '09?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Ford looks pretty stout.

Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Cool

Cool beans, hadn't seen the '09 crash videos yet.

The '97 one has been around a long time (since '97, duh) but it's a classic I like to re-watch every now and again, the results are so disastrous.

What's funny is that when my '97 was hit, I didn't get hurt at all. Left front impact as I was heading straight into an intersection to make a left turn (large intersection), and 4 kids slammed into me speeding right through a red light. Air bags deployed, and I always wear my belt, was totally fine 'cept my glasses got knocked off. Lots of dust those airbags make! But I immediately switched on my overheads and hide-a-ways, then reached down to find my glasses by touch (couldn't see anything because of the airbag dust). Hadn't even found my glasses yet when someone knocked on my door and asked if I was OK and that I should get out cause some liquid was leaking from under my truck. Not sure what it was, but when the cops got there my truck was still running and after them taking reports they were like, "It's still running? Can't believe it, that's a tough truck. Could you back it onto the shoulder?" and I was like sure, jumped in and backed her to relative safety until the tow truck arrived. Even though my lightbar was way better than his, it was time to shut off my truck and have her towed back to Ford dealer for repairs. $14,000 in damage to a $28k truck. They wouldn't total her because she was only maybe 6 months old. So they fixed her up like new in about 4 months time, and then I traded her for a 1998 for 32k!

Anyways, point is I was totally fine, although 14k in damage shows how poorly those '97-'03 model year trucks held up under duress. Glad I somehow escaped injury.

I was in an accident in my '98 as well, wasn't paying attention and came to a crossing in the parking garage and didn't try to stop until way too late, slammed right into the side of some poor kid, T-bone. Totally destroyed his car, though luckily he was fine. My truck showed virtually no signs of damage. A VERY slight crease in front bumper, and lots of little paint chips scratched off my hood from all his flying glass (who would have thought his glass shattering would screw up my paint so badly). Other than the paint chips you wouldn't even think it had ever been in an accident; maybe you'd think "oh he must've slighlty bumped a pole when parking to make tiny dent in bumper."; pretty crazy but true. Not sure why that one held up so well. Or why the damn accident STILL shows up on my insurance bill every year.

My '04, zero accidents. But what a noisy, loathsome rattler it became in just a couple short years. No idea why, but so glad it's gone!

Seeing as my '09 has been windshield chipped by a rock and had hail slam into her, I think she's taken all the abuse she should receive. Either that, or it's a sign I should buy another one soon.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:26 AM
Wow, what an improvement Ford has made. After seeing the video's I'm extremely glad I bought a 2009 F150 a few days ago. I know that my family and I will be better protected in the event of an accident.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Man, those 09's are tough!

Comet: Thanks for the post about your 97 & 98. I too have obviously seen these crash test videos for years now. I've owned a 97 and now my 02' that I bought new. I never hit anything with either of them (knocks on wood) but it's good to hear they can hold up decently when not hitting concrete walls.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisT
Man, those 09's are tough!

Comet: Thanks for the post about your 97 & 98. I too have obviously seen these crash test videos for years now. I've owned a 97 and now my 02' that I bought new. I never hit anything with either of them (knocks on wood) but it's good to hear they can hold up decently when not hitting concrete walls.
The crash tests are worst case scenario, there's all kinds of things that affect the outcome in the real world.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The crash tests are worst case scenario, there's all kinds of things that affect the outcome in the real world.
Good point.

This image image just ticks me off...

Alright, I'm done hijacking. Heading back down to my section.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
i like the mirrors folding and unfolding on the Ford in the first video. Also watch closely and you can see the passenger airbag deploy both stages of the air bag back to back, to help prevent further whiplash

As for the picture above, the door is a structural part of the vehicle, and when its removed and then crashed, its no wonder why it folded up. Plus its an extended cab truck, so there isnt a pillar between the doors to help solidify things.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Hmm, never thought about if the Screw and Scab perform differently in the safety test. Never heard that mentioned before.

Wonder if they have any videos of that for-two tiny car thing crashing.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:53 AM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
Hmm, never thought about if the Screw and Scab perform differently in the safety test. Never heard that mentioned before.

Wonder if they have any videos of that for-two tiny car thing crashing.
All you had to do was ask.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpqCosw62f4

How about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he6TL15pJtw

Last edited by Tbird69; 08-15-2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I like this one better, a little more real world scenario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97f-7ef6SC8

Old 08-15-2009, 12:38 PM
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Those were awesome! Even in the first vid, which makes it look ok at first, when you watch it again the driver's head SLAMS right into the steering wheel thru the airbag! I'd say you'd need to have utmost confidence in other drivers if you were going to buy one of those things.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Those were awesome! Even in the first vid, which makes it look ok at first, when you watch it again the driver's head SLAMS right into the steering wheel thru the airbag! I'd say you'd need to have utmost confidence in other drivers if you were going to buy one of those things.
The fuel savings make it worthwhile though.

The polar bears thank them for their sacrifice.

Quick Reply: Just how safe is that '09?