2009 - 2014 F-150

Lids & Liners? Soft, Hard, Fiberglass? Spray On or Lay in? Why? Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lids & Liners? Soft, Hard, Fiberglass? Spray On or Lay in? Why? Pics?

I did a lot of research on lids and liners after I bought this '09 KR. I had a UnderCover lid on my '04 Lariat...and loved it. I had a Rhino liner on my '04 Lariat...and loved it. The '04 Lariat I had was Bright Red Metallic with a lot of black trim, so the black Rhino and black UnderCover looked good with all the other black trim I had on that truck. I just like red and black...and always thought it looked good. Like Texas Tech's uniforms.

And, I probably would've bought the same again if I'd bought a different color truck. Except I might've gone with a BakFlip...since I just like that style.

However, this Royal Red KR has very little black on it and I finally decided, after much debate, that I needed a fiberglass lid painted Royal Red to really make this truck pop. And, that fiberglass lid had to be light enough for my wife and I to remove it...and I wanted the lowest profile I could find. No offense, but personally I just do not like the looks of the hump-backed lids. So, I finally decided on a SnugLid...due to it being the lowest profile fiberglass lid on the market, and it only weighs about 100 lbs.

And, after all I'd read about the BedRug, I just wanted to try it. After all, it's not a permanent thing like a spray-on, and won't damage your bed like a laid-in plastic...and if I want to change to a spray-on later on down the road, it won't be a big deal. I also like the carpet look and it matches the lining of the SnugLid.

So, there's my reasons and here's a few pics. Also, check out my albums for more pics. What are your reasons? And where are your pics?

Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice choice on the Snug-Lid - really looks like it belongs on the truck.

Myself - I need access to my open bed quite often, so have used soft tonneaus for the last 4 trucks. I need to be able to remove the cover by myself.

Also, we have to travel quite a distance for groceries, etc. When on our bi-monthly shopping trips, there have been quite a few times where we ended up buying something that needed the open bed. So nice with a roll up tonneau.
If I had a hard top, I would be out of luck.

As for the bed liner - had the plastic insert in two of them, and nothing but a bed mat in the last one. How quickly I regretted just the bed mat when just a sheet of plywood scratched the paint on the wheel wells.

So, saving up for a bedrug right now - they look like a nice compromise to me, and I like the looks of them.

Sorry - no pics!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
My last truck had a Access Lorado soft roll up cover on it with just a bed mat in it. I never liked the bed mat. Dust and water would eventually get under it and made it too much work in cleaning. No problems or regrets with the cover though.

My 09 now has a Truxedo Low Pro QT soft tonneau cover on it. I really like this one so far. Its about 1/2 as high as the Access Lorado. The one thing I miss is having the second sliding lock on the right hand side too. It seems like they want to have a lot of spring tension on it too, but I backed the adjusters off so its a little looser than they say but I think it works this way just fine. As far as a spray in liner, I went with Vortex spray in liner. Nobody around this part does Line X or I was gonna go with this. The other brands around here was Quik Liner. Thats getting done monday so no pics of that yet.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Looks Good -Always wanted a Snuglid there just two hard to get on this side of the Border.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:06 PM
jdtech65...that Truxedo looks great man. The whole idea is that they do what you need 'em to.

Quick Reply: Lids & Liners? Soft, Hard, Fiberglass? Spray On or Lay in? Why? Pics?