2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 SCrew Payloads are higher?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmm exact wording escapes me right now but basically does the 2010 max tow F150 have a different rear axle than the non-max tow or did they just bump the rear gawr...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsxr1300
my 09 Scab xlt 5.4 4x4 6.5 bed 18wheels says The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed 1418lbs
The issue is the low payload for 2009 Screws with 2010 models with the Max tow package getting a bump in GVWR.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
payload

Originally Posted by Power Kid
BTW Update: contacted Ford on Aug 26th, they fwd to research, called back week later still looking into, still no answer.

Need to go to dealer and check via part #s
Did you ever get an answer to this?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:24 AM
Nope... Someone checked part #s on leafs 09 vs. '10 on max tow. Someone should check rear axles too.

Last edited by Power Kid; 10-16-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
Nope... Someone checked part #s on leafs 09 vs. '10 on max tow. Someone should check rear axles too.
Well, if this is any indication...

In APT's response to my thread about "Posting Your Payloads" last week, the pictures of the door sticker he attached was for a Max Tow equipped Screw. The sticker says the rear axle has a RAWR of 4,050 pounds. Just last night I looked at a a 2010 Lariat Screw without the Max Tow, and the rear axle rating was also 4,050 (the front was 3,750).

How interesting it is that when I talk payloads and ratings with my dealer, they look at me like I am speaking Greek. They are all great guys, but it kind of irritates me that I have to do all the research because they know nothing about the products they sell. Then, when I provide the data and information to them, I get the feeling they would, like to roll their eyes (because 99% of their customers just buy a truck for the look or big grocery loads), and continue to feel like they could give a rat's patoot less. In a way, it's almost like they are promoting the common phrase "I see all sorts of trucks pulling huge overweight loads and trailers with no problems".

For fun, here is what I found on a 2010 Lariat Screw shortbed without the Max Towo option...

7,200 GVWR
1,175 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR
5,404 Shipping Weight

So, add the FAWR (3,750) + RAWR (4,050) = 7,800 Gross Axle Weight (GAWR)

Then, deduct the 5,404 Shipping Weight from the 7,800 GAWR = 2,396 pounds of technical payload, but you need to continue by...

deducting 254 pounds for fuel not included (only 5 gallons shipped in tank), and deducting 150 pounds for the driver (not in shipping weight), and that leaves you with a technical payload of 1,992, or approximately 817 pounds that you could technically add to the stickered "Payload" before you maxed out your gross combined axle rating. So, that's about 41% conservation on the manufacturers part, right?

So, for additional fun, lets apply this to the Max Tow equipped vehicle I saw last week with the same axle ratings...

7,700 GVWR
1,678 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR
5,604 Shipping Weight (assumed 200# heavier for rear leaf changes, mirrors, etc for Max Tow)

Then, deduct the 5,604 Shipping Weight (assumed) from the 7,800 GAWR = 2,196 pounds of technical payload, but again, you need to continue by...

deducting 254 pounds for fuel not included (only 5 gallons shipped in tank), and deducting 150 pounds for the driver (not in shipping weight), and that leaves you with a technical payload of 1,792, or approximately 114 pounds that you could technically add to the stickered "Payload" before you maxed out your gross combined axle rating. So, now that's about 6% conservation on the manufacturers part, right?

What do you all think? I can't believe you'd almost be better buying the non-Max Tow to gain a higher technical payload (based upon max GAWR's) when the only real difference is the... well... nothing since the Lariats and King Ranches with 20's seem to have the upgraded rear springs anyway.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
Well, if this is any indication...

In APT's response to my thread about "Posting Your Payloads" last week, the pictures of the door sticker he attached was for a Max Tow equipped Screw. The sticker says the rear axle has a RAWR of 4,050 pounds. Just last night I looked at a a 2010 Lariat Screw without the Max Tow, and the rear axle rating was also 4,050 (the front was 3,750).

How interesting it is that when I talk payloads and ratings with my dealer, they look at me like I am speaking Greek. They are all great guys, but it kind of irritates me that I have to do all the research because they know nothing about the products they sell. Then, when I provide the data and information to them, I get the feeling they would, like to roll their eyes (because 99% of their customers just buy a truck for the look or big grocery loads), and continue to feel like they could give a rat's patoot less. In a way, it's almost like they are promoting the common phrase "I see all sorts of trucks pulling huge overweight loads and trailers with no problems".

For fun, here is what I found on a 2010 Lariat Screw shortbed without the Max Towo option...

7,200 GVWR
1,175 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR
5,404 Shipping Weight

Then, deduct the 5,404 Shipping Weight from the 7,800 GAWR = 2,396 pounds of technical payload, but you need to continue by...

deducting 254 pounds for fuel not included (only 5 gallons shipped in tank), and deducting 150 pounds for the driver (not in shipping weight), and that leaves you with a technical payload of 1,992, or approximately 817 pounds that you could technically add to the stickered "Payload" before you maxed out your gross combined axle rating. So, that's about 41% conservation on the manufacturers part, right?

So, for additional fun, lets apply this to the Max Tow equipped vehicle I saw last week with the same axle ratings...

7,700 GVWR
1,678 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR
5,604 Shipping Weight (assumed 200# heavier for rear leaf changes, mirrors, etc for Max Tow)

Then, deduct the 5,604 Shipping Weight (assumed) from the 7,800 GAWR = 2,196 pounds of technical payload, but again, you need to continue by...

deducting 254 pounds for fuel not included (only 5 gallons shipped in tank), and deducting 150 pounds for the driver (not in shipping weight), and that leaves you with a technical payload of 1,792, or approximately 114 pounds that you could technically add to the stickered "Payload" before you maxed out your gross combined axle rating. So, now that's about 6% conservation on the manufacturers part, right?

What do you all think? I can't believe you'd almost be better buying the non-Max Tow to gain a higher technical payload (based upon max GAWR's) when the only real difference is the... well... nothing since the Lariats and King Ranches with 20's seem to have the upgraded rear springs anyway.
I think I was looking around and noticed some F-150s ship with 3950 or 3900 lb front axle ratings too.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun

7,200 GVWR
1,175 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR
5,404 Shipping Weight

7,700 GVWR
1,678 Payload
3,750 FAWR
4,050 RAWR

The problem with this rational is the abilty to properly load each axle. Also, not sure how you got a max tow to weight more? It may have 1 more leaf spring and a slightly bigger mirror. But what does a new, longer leaf for the newest body style in a overload spring length weight? 50-70lbs each At a conservative esitmate. The overload spring on my ranger was maybe 20lbs so a safety factor in estimation of 3 was used for by guesstimate.

The issue here is that nobody knows for 100% certainty how the raised ratings were achieved. If the axle stayed the same, them IMO the engineers and lawyers loosened their collars a little bit and began to stretch the numbers to make for a more marketable truck. I just wish they would explain why and how. Now If I had a newer truck that had the payload stick on it, I would go by what it says. Might be a tad simple but it was put there for a reason. Now If I had an '09 with a seemingly lower rating than an identically equipped '10, then I would not also hesitate to run my truck loaded to what the higher rated stick says even though no seemingly apparent changed were made by Ford.

I know my '04 has a GVWR of 7200 and I went acorss the scales at about 6400 with just me in it, therefor my legal payload is only 800lb as equiped with all of my crap in it. I put a very large pallet of sod in my truck with a full tank of fuel and it did sag quite a bit. But the truck handled it like a champ. 2000+lb of wet sod was more than I had ever imagined I could put in my truck but with the experience of others I made the trip home just fine and laid it all down and slept good that night knowing my truck was built Ford Tough, even without a stick saying what I did was retarded.

Last edited by yetti96; 10-16-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Yep, I hauled 14 bags of shingles from Home Depot the other day, which looked like NOTHING in the bed of my 09. When I unloaded them, I realized that those bags are HEAVY... turns out they are about 75 lbs. each... plus me, plus my buddy to help unload... we were way over my payload. OOPS, but the truck handled it with no complaints. Still don't understand the ratings.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by yetti96
I know my '04 has a GVWR of 7200 and I went acorss the scales at about 6400 with just me in it, therefor my legal payload is only 800lb as equiped with all of my crap in it. I put a very large pallet of sod in my truck with a full tank of fuel and it did sag quite a bit. But the truck handled it like a champ. 2000+lb of wet sod was more than I had ever imagined I could put in my truck but with the experience of others I made the trip home just fine and laid it all down and slept good that night knowing my truck was built Ford Tough, even without a stick saying what I did was retarded.
How is that the legal payload? Says who? That is the most uneducated statement I've seen in a while. Your legal payload is based on bridge spacing (Space between axles), Tire footprint and tire weighting. The DOT does NOT care about what your door sticker says.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MonteCarlo31
How is that the legal payload? Says who? That is the most uneducated statement I've seen in a while. Your legal payload is based on bridge spacing (Space between axles), Tire footprint and tire weighting. The DOT does NOT care about what your door sticker says.
Your legal payload on a pickup (at least here in MO) is what the license plate on the truck says.

That's not saying that being overloaded (over GVWR) would be bad if you were in a civil suit or in explaining a bad accident to the cops, but legally, the plates are what you can carry.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
Your legal payload on a pickup (at least here in MO) is what the license plate on the truck says.

That's not saying that being overloaded (over GVWR) would be bad if you were in a civil suit or in explaining a bad accident to the cops, but legally, the plates are what you can carry.
sort of. you can set your plates to anything 80K lbs and under. If you go over your weighted GVW they you are fined but not "overweight" on the axles.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by SlverFX
Did you ever get an answer to this?
Spoke to a sales guy at a different Ford dealer re this "issue". He was handy with online parts info and checked out a couple 2010s en route to dealer. He looked at two trucks: One 2010 max tow pkg vs one w/Heavy duty payload pkg. Results were front axles are same part #, but rear despite now both being 9.75", are different.

So maybe Ford did just bump the max tow rear GAWR even closer to its 4,500lbs "breaking point"? I suspect only Ford will be able to clarify more...

Still hoping Mike @ PUTC will find the answers.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 AM
So now I am curious / confused.

I have a 2010 Screw XLT 4X2 4.6 3V 5 foot bed with the regular tow package and my door says max cargo and pass 1585#.

I am pretty sure I have a 8.8 rear axle.

Why would this be higher than most others ?

Old 02-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Its lighter. 2wd, shortest box, smaller/lighter engine.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Thank you for the info.

Quick Reply: 2010 SCrew Payloads are higher?!?!