2009 - 2014 F-150

My First Truck: 09 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My First Truck: 09 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4

This past weekend, I decided to pull the trigger on my first truck. I picked up a 2009 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 in White Sand Tri-Coat Metallic & tan leather interior with the Navigation/Sony system. I am in love. I've put a couple hundred miles on it already, and the ride is so smooth.

As you can probably imagine, my mind has been focused on one thing over this past week: my truck. All I do is think about what sort of modifications I'll be doing.

First thing gone were the pinstripes and I'll be replacing the side mirror reflectors with the black STX plastic inserts as soon as they arrive from Tasca.

I keep sending emails between friends asking them what they think about this and that. Worst of all, I've been bothering the heck out of the dealership about the alarm/remote start system and tonneau cover order I need to place. But while they've been too busy with the end of the Cash for Clunker program to call me back, I've been able to do my own research and have been left with a few questions.

1. Tonneau Cover: The one Ford tried to sell me at the dealership was their factory style-side cover. It had a bulky look to it, and it was raised an inch or two above the rails. I didn't like it. I've looked at the Leer, SnugLid, Xtreme Flat, but I'm really feeling the BakFlip HD. I know that the other covers offer the ability to match the factory paint, but I actually think that look might be "too clean." I think the black BakFlip HD would break up the White Sand Tri Coat rather well. Thoughts?

2. Liner: I've read a lot of reviews on the BedRug, plastic drop-ins, and the spray-ons. Since I fully anticipate keeping this truck until at least 2019 when I finally buy my Porsche 911 Turbo , I feel like I should really go the Line-X direction. I am now however torn on whether I should go with the standard black, or opt for the White Sand Tri-Coat match in the Xtra. Thoughts?

As of right now, those are my two biggest concerns - both of which I'd like to act fast on. Future modification considerations include a 2.5" leveling lift (does such a lift preclude an increased tire size, or can I leave them as is?), adding the rear-view emblem camera to the OEM screen (I read somewhere hear that it can be done!), purchasing some WeatherTech Digital Liners, installing the DynoLock electric tailgate lock, and then maybe add some Xenon headlights for now. I've also noticed the jerkiness in the transmission that a lot of you all have talked about. I've been told to give it a few weeks, and if it doesn't work out, to take it back to the dealership for the TSB. Any other suggestions for the time being?

By the way, not only was this my first truck purchase, but this was also my first vehicle purchase.

Thanks to SteveVFX4 for all your help.

Last edited by nauveed; 08-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:13 AM
Congrats on your new truck, shes real nice

Old 08-21-2009, 08:18 AM
very sharp. The leveling kit makes it feel even better....enjoy it!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:25 AM
hey, welcome aboard man, glad I could help you so far.

Do a search or others should chime in and tell you how much they like their Bakflip HD covers and they got them from the same place I referred them to.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Nice Truck!

I got my BakFlip HD from SteveVFX4's guy and it was the best pricing I could find and it showed up on the day they said it would. I got it installed on Tuesday night and so far I am LOVEING IT! Yesterday we had rain comming down sideways and the bed was dry when I checked. Only word of advise is read the entire directions before starting.

Big thanks to SteveVFX4 for the hook-up - thanks bro

Craig

Old 08-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Sharp looking truck!
I was supposed to pick mine up yesterday, but apparently when the guys installing the remote start tried to reprogram my truck they ran into some issues and had to call tech support. Turns out that the 2010 requires different programming that the 2009. They had to have a new programmer shipped to them overnight. They promised it would be done by early afternoon today. I am not holding my breath....

** Does anyone have the Bakflip HD AND the bed rails in their truck? I wonder if the cargo rails are going to interfere with its installation.. particularly the clamps.

J

Old 08-21-2009, 01:21 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Originally Posted by nauveed
This past weekend, I decided to pull the trigger on my first truck. I picked up a 2009 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 in White Sand Tri-Coat Metallic & tan leather interior with the Navigation/Sony system. I am in love. I've put a couple hundred miles on it already, and the ride is so smooth.

As you can probably imagine, my mind has been focused on one thing over this past week: my truck. All I do is think about what sort of modifications I'll be doing.

First thing gone were the pinstripes and I'll be replacing the side mirror reflectors with the black STX plastic inserts as soon as they arrive from Tasca.

I keep sending emails between friends asking them what they think about this and that. Worst of all, I've been bothering the heck out of the dealership about the alarm/remote start system and tonneau cover order I need to place. But while they've been too busy with the end of the Cash for Clunker program to call me back, I've been able to do my own research and have been left with a few questions.

1. Tonneau Cover: The one Ford tried to sell me at the dealership was their factory style-side cover. It had a bulky look to it, and it was raised an inch or two above the rails. I didn't like it. I've looked at the Leer, SnugLid, Xtreme Flat, but I'm really feeling the BakFlip HD. I know that the other covers offer the ability to match the factory paint, but I actually think that look might be "too clean." I think the black BakFlip HD would break up the White Sand Tri Coat rather well. Thoughts?

2. Liner: I've read a lot of reviews on the BedRug, plastic drop-ins, and the spray-ons. Since I fully anticipate keeping this truck until at least 2019 when I finally buy my Porsche 911 Turbo , I feel like I should really go the Line-X direction. I am now however torn on whether I should go with the standard black, or opt for the White Sand Tri-Coat match in the Xtra. Thoughts?

As of right now, those are my two biggest concerns - both of which I'd like to act fast on. Future modification considerations include a 2.5" leveling lift (does such a lift preclude an increased tire size, or can I leave them as is?), adding the rear-view emblem camera to the OEM screen (I read somewhere hear that it can be done!), purchasing some WeatherTech Digital Liners, installing the DynoLock electric tailgate lock, and then maybe add some Xenon headlights for now. I've also noticed the jerkiness in the transmission that a lot of you all have talked about. I've been told to give it a few weeks, and if it doesn't work out, to take it back to the dealership for the TSB. Any other suggestions for the time being?

By the way, not only was this my first truck purchase, but this was also my first vehicle purchase.

Thanks to SteveVFX4 for all your help.
Congratulations, man. Way to start big. I wish I could say my first vehicle was a brand new F-150.

Isn't it funny how it seems like almost no one likes the reflectors on the mirrors. I looked at some 09s this week, and I told the salesman those and the chrome mirror caps would be the first things to go.

I have a dealer-installed ARE body-colored fiberglass tonneau on my 2005. It's excellent at keeping the water and snow out, but is sort of a pain to remove and reinstall if I need to. Whatever direction you go with a tonneau, I'd recommend getting something you can roll/fold out of the way if you need to haul anything taller than the bed.

I don't think I'd go with a white Line-X. That would be a pain to clean and keep looking nice. I'd be okay with black, but if you want something different, maybe you could do a tan that matches the interior.

Good luck with the mods and welcome to the family. It's a good one to be in.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Very nice truck !!!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Congrats on the new truck

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Congrats on the truck man. I'd either go with a black or maybe tan line-x to match the inteior but what ever you do to the trick will look good. You can do the level and not get new tires but most of the time people do them at the same time

Old 08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Congrats!! Very nice truck!! Enjoy!!

I find it interesting that there are trucks out there with the Nav/sunroof package that DO NOT have the reverse camera... I don't think in all the time I spent looking for a truck I ever saw a Lariat or higher model that didn't have the reverse camera... odd... it's part of the Lariat Plus package isn't it?

Old 08-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Mickeymeanie
Congrats!! Very nice truck!! Enjoy!!

I find it interesting that there are trucks out there with the Nav/sunroof package that DO NOT have the reverse camera... I don't think in all the time I spent looking for a truck I ever saw a Lariat or higher model that didn't have the reverse camera... odd... it's part of the Lariat Plus package isn't it?

I was actually wondering the same thing when I picked it out. Has anyone else gotten an 09 Lariat without the camera? I didn't complain too much because the lack of a reverse camera was the only thing that was keeping the truck under $45,000 MSRP (that and the $1,000 Lariat Premium Discount), which allowed me to use the Cash for Clunkers program. Of course, I paid no where near $45,000.

And thanks to everyone who has replied! I appreciate all the comments. I actually was told today that Ford now makes a rollback tonneau cover. Is anyone familiar with it? Also, has anyone debated BakFlip HD versus Retrax?

I'm still leaning towards the White Sand Tri-coat Line-X Xtra, but I'll ask Truckgasm what he thought about it since I believe he had it done to his bed as well.

Last edited by nauveed; 08-21-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:55 PM
that is strange that is has the Navigation but the not the Lariat Plus package that includes the reverse camera.

Here's a thread that talks about adding the camera. You need the camera emblem, a wiring harness, and then the truck computer needs reprogrammed at the dealer.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/mu...a-oem-nav.html

Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
For your tonneau cover I installed a Truxedo Low Pro QT cover. It is very low profile, only sticks about 1/2 inch above the rails. This is a soft roll up cover. There are pics in my gallery of this cover. Which ever one you go with they are all pretty good, just depends what you are looking to get out of it. I like my soft ones since I can roll them up real quick if I need to haul something in the bed. But thats just the ones I prefer.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 PM
Nice truck....I agree tha the white line-x will be hard to keep clean. Do what makes you happy!

Quick Reply: My First Truck: 09 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4