2009 - 2014 F-150

What tonneau cover looks best on the new body style???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another vote for BakFlip...

Old 11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I had an A.R.E. on my last 99 f150 and it looked great and got alot of comps,it lasted 10 years up until I bought an 09 lariat.To me the best two out there are LEER 700 series and A.R.E. LS11,they look the best on s/crew trucks,but thats just me.I am looking at both right now but I will probally get an ARE.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:27 PM
I have the Retrax on my 09. Personally I love it and would'nt have another. Its great I can still put my dirt bike in the back no problem and it offers security for anything I want to stow away. I wouldn't say that it is thief proof but it's the best of both worlds.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
I have a BAKFLIP HD on my 09 Lariat Screw and I love it, my new 2010 Lariat Screw is in production this week and as soon as it comes in I am going to swap it over on my 10

Old 11-16-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a 2010 Screw in Red Candy coming in shortly. Typically, I add hard fiberglass tonneaus (ARE or Swiss), but after seeing the Bak Flip on line, it looks enticing. I never cared for aftermarket tonneaus that were black because they don't appeal to me - especially on two-toned trucks. The truck I have coming in is a mono-tone, and the black Bak Flip may look good. The price still seems steep as I can buy a fitted and match-painted fiberglass for the same money, but with my frequent high-mileage trading, the fiberglass is money not well spent.

What are the advantages of the Bak Flip? I have rarely seen a need to remove my lid before, but if I had the ability, I could see it happening. Certainly, I do find times when I leave the lid open to haul something, so a Bak Flip could be better. Are they water-tight... really? My fiberglass never leak at all. One of the things I like about the hard lid is raising it up to access stuff in the rain and snow while using the lid as a "roof". A Bak Flip wont offer that luxury. ALso, are they really impenetrable? I hunt in areas that I really like the security of a fiberglass lid.

I'd consider the aluminum HD model in a Bak Flip. Can someone "sell" me on why to buy one? It certainly would allow me to save the costs trading up to a 2011 next year, where a painted lid is a loss. Also, where is the cheapest place to buy a Bak Flip.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Smokewagon, some of the main Bakflip advantages/features is that is very low profile, black to match the bed caps, folds up completely out of the way when you need to haul large stuff, and there's no exposed latches or keyholes on the cover that you have to worry about freezing in the winter or theives breaking into. Maybe there's a chance they could break in if using a heavy sledgehammer or crowbar but I don't think so.

Mine's been 99% watertight, only noticed a few drips after an all-day rain soaker event. I also added some additional weatherstripping along the front bulkhead and haven't seen any drips since. It's true that most fiberglass covers are 100% watertight but the Bakflip does a very fine job too. Yeah you would loose your angled "roof" with the Bakflip.

I think several guys on here have gotten their Bakflip from the same place I did based on my referral. I can send you the info too.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks, SteveVFX4. I'd appreciate the info. as well. I have a pricefrom my Ford Dealer at about $800 and some change. I' thought the HD version was the aluminum, but now one site says the G2 is. I want the stronger aluminum model. I just saw the G2 on line for $689. Is that in fact the stronger aluminum one? I'm not worried about a little water, but because I trade often, the Bakflip could be the ticket. On that note Steve, what prevents the water from dumping in the gab at the end of the tailgate on top? Your rear-facing photo shows a 3/8" gap ebtween the rail and the edge of the tailgate. I suspect that hole goes right into the bed.

Last edited by Smokewagun; 11-16-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:50 PM
I also added additional weatherstripping to the front edge next to rear window when I installed mine and zero leaks. Get the HD ! I bought the HD delivered to my door for $ 799.95.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by Smokewagun
On that note Steve, what prevents the water from dumping in the gab at the end of the tailgate on top? Your rear-facing photo shows a 3/8" gap ebtween the rail and the edge of the tailgate. I suspect that hole goes right into the bed.
I sent you an email directly, check it out. As far as that gap between the gate and bed, water does not get in there. The gap is outside of the actual bed compartment. The only minor water leaks I've heard about near the gate is those guys with the tailgate step. I'm sure it can fixed with additional weatherstripping.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I sent you an email directly, check it out.
Steve, I never received it. Try again. Thanks.

Quick Reply: What tonneau cover looks best on the new body style???