2009 - 2014 F-150

What tonneau cover looks best on the new body style???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What tonneau cover looks best on the new body style???

I had a Re-Trax on my 06 and I think I'll go with a one piece cover this time. The Re-Trax storage cannister just took up too much room in the already small bed.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I prefer functionality (and looks) instead of just looks. The painted 1-piece covers do look great but you are screwed if you need to haul something big. That's where the rolling or folding covers come into play. You already don't want a rolling cover, but have you considered a folding cover like the Bakflip HD? Many of us have them here. They sit pretty flush with the bed rails so they look good, and then fold up out of the way when hauling big stuff. and they're pretty weather resistant too. I have some pics in my album.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Steve is right- the Fiberglass painted covers look the best(Thats all I have ever owned) but they are so non-functional,yes you can remove them, but you are just asking for damage.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
I prefer functionality (and looks) instead of just looks. The painted 1-piece covers do look great but you are screwed if you need to haul something big. That's where the rolling or folding covers come into play. You already don't want a rolling cover, but have you considered a folding cover like the Bakflip HD? Many of us have them here. They sit pretty flush with the bed rails so they look good, and then fold up out of the way when hauling big stuff. and they're pretty weather resistant too. I have some pics in my album.
I agree.. I purchased the Xtang solid fold because of functionality not looks.

Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Jeff, I agree with Steve, and considered the BakFlip myself. You'll just have to decide what you like and what would look and function the best for the way you would use your truck bed.

And, Steve's looks great on his truck...I like the white truck, and the black on the BakFlip matches it perfectly. In fact, I think a painted fiberglass lid on that truck would just be too much white. I had the same issue on my previous truck...an '04 Lariat in Bright Red. A red lid on that truck would've just been too much. And, I had a black UnderCover on it...that worked great for me.

But, this time, my '09 is the Royal Red...and to me, none of the black lids would look good with that color. No matter how I use it, or would want to use it, I would not want to hurt the looks of my truck by putting a lid on it that didn't match. So, I decided I definitely wanted one painted Royal Red to match.

After that, there was a slew of other things to consider for me. I ended up going with the SnugLid because it had the lowest profile, and the lightest weight, of all the fiberglass lids out there. I had to have one that could easily be removed by just me and the wife. And, we've already found this one is just as easy to remove and reinstall as the UnderCover was. We just have to be alot more careful so we don't scratch it. I have more pics in my gallery as well.

Last edited by MickeyMorris; 08-24-2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:08 PM
I've had my truck 2 1/2 years and I have never had the need to haul anything that would have required a top to be pulled off. It just might be one of those things where you want what you don't have regardless!! I just envy the clean look of some of the one piece tops!

Originally Posted by Toolcrib
Steve is right- the Fiberglass painted covers look the best(Thats all I have ever owned) but they are so non-functional,yes you can remove them, but you are just asking for damage.
Like I mentioned, never carried anything big enough, hmmmm. It's a company truck and it's a 2 or 3 year commitment.

Originally Posted by Brew1
I agree.. I purchased the Xtang solid fold because of functionality not looks.
I'll have to look around once the new toy arrives!

Originally Posted by MickeyMorris
Jeff, I agree with Steve, and considered the BakFlip myself. You'll just have to decide what you like and what would look and funtion the best for the way you would use your truck bed.

And, Steve's looks great on his truck...I like the white truck, and the black on the BakFlip matches it perfectly. In fact, I think a painted fiberglass lid on that truck would just be too much white. I had the same issue on my previous truck...an '04 Lariat in Bright Red. A red lid on that truck would've just been too much. And, I had a black UnderCover on it...that worked great for me.

But, this time, my '09 is the Royal Red...and to me, none of the black lids would look good with that color. No matter how I use it, or would want to use it, I would not want to hurt the looks of my truck by putting a lid on it that didn't match. So, I decided I definitely wanted one painted Royal Red to match.

After that, there was a slew of other things to consider for me. I ended up going with the SnugLid because it had the lowest profile, and the lightest weight, of all the fiberglass lids out there. I had to have one that could easily be removed by just me and the wife. And, we've already found this one is just as easy to remove and reinstall as the UnderCover was. We just have to be alot more careful so we don't scratch it. I have more pics in my gallery as well.

Several of our guys have the UnderCover, I like it, but I really think the color matched top is the way I'll go. I'll have to check out SnugLid as well. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM
hmmm, never haul anything big? then why do you need a truck as a company vehicle?

Trending Topics

Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 PM
hmmm, never haul anything big? then why do you need a truck as a company vehicle?

Everything I need to have fits within the bed! As far as why, it's their choice so I don't complain!

Old 08-24-2009, 01:43 PM
I got the Ford hard cover 4 fold top and I love it. You can lift 1, 2, 3 panel or all 4 to reveal an almost complete box (I loose 3 inches or so). Very low profile, makes no noise, water tight and is very secure. It is black and matches the bed rails. Much better than the Extang soft Tri-Fold I had on my 06.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM
I like my Truxedo Low Pro cover. It sits about 1/2 inch above the rails and rolls completly up. It is also spring loaded to snap over the rails so its comes completly off without any tools- leaving just the rails installed. Kinda nice if you need the extra 3 inches. I also ordered a tailgate seal and used it to seal the front edge of the box better to keep the dust out. Water will pretty much stay out without this extra seal but the dust would blow in. I also sealed along the two sides of the tailgate with this seal. The bottom of the tailgate seals good without any extra seal- it has the tailgate step so the added plastic helps seal it.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by ricbeau
I got the Ford hard cover 4 fold top and I love it. You can lift 1, 2, 3 panel or all 4 to reveal an almost complete box (I loose 3 inches or so). Very low profile, makes no noise, water tight and is very secure. It is black and matches the bed rails. Much better than the Extang soft Tri-Fold I had on my 06.
Then you have a BakFlip. BakFlip makes them for Ford and adds the Ford logo and a plastic (I think) pull handle device. Not to mention Ford jacks up the price.

I have a BakFlip and love it!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Just installed the access soft roll cover...the best one out there IMO. Looks good and holds up to many years of use.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I have the Truxedo Low Pro QT on both of my trucks. Great cover, looks good and easy to remove.
Access is also a great option. Can't go wrong with either.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Can the Undercover be painted to match the truck ,like the SnugLid and A.R.E. hard covers.

Last edited by skydiverM15; 09-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by MickeyMorris
Jeff, I agree with Steve, and considered the BakFlip myself. You'll just have to decide what you like and what would look and function the best for the way you would use your truck bed.

I just ordered an exact 2010 model of your truck and am also looking for a cover .Can the Undercover be painted to match the truck like your Snuglid

Quick Reply: What tonneau cover looks best on the new body style???