2009 - 2014 F-150

Fx4 -lariat tbc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fx4 -lariat tbc.

I have the TBC and am ready to install it,has anyone actually put one on themselves. The video that everyone refers to is on a XLT, on the Lariats and above It does not seem so simple more dash pieces to remove.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:31 PM
Somebody has to have removed the dash piece that the 4x4 ****, and the TBC is attached to. It does not just pull off there is a screw at the bottom that has to be removed. The problem is- that piece is overlaped by the whole console piece that houses your gear shifter.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Id like to know how this goes, I just got a 09 FX4 and was wondering if its hard to install the control. WHat does the control cost from Ford?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by munro200
Id like to know how this goes, I just got a 09 FX4 and was wondering if its hard to install the control. WHat does the control cost from Ford?

Just finished installing it in my Lariat- not an easy task the way it would be in an XLT.In the XLT all you do is pull and remove that single dash piece. In a vehicle with the center console you have to remove the trim around your entire gear shift and arm rest assembly, and then there is another piece of trim under that.The problem is a screw holding the dash piece you want to intially take off.I finally gave up trying to remove the pieces,glad I did,If you have two people, leave the bottom of the dash piece on, and pull it back toward the steering wheel, relax it is very pliable it won't break there is only two screws to deal with pretty easy to do without removing. I got it for $223.00 From Tasca.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it figured out - WOW - glad I had my dealer install mine before I picked it up!

Old 08-24-2009, 09:13 PM
I would be surprised if the Dealer did not do it the same way I did. However with a proper printout on the dash dissasembly it might not be to difficult.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:02 PM
Tbc

I installed mine about a week ago--had to un-bolt the console and move it toward the rear of the truck about 3 inches to get to the bolt at the bottom of the 4WD/tbc panel. Found the instructions on how to do it in the paperwork that's in the plastic envelope with the TBC harness pigtail and the fuse/relay--the last page IIRC.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
There it was the instructions right in the glovebox the whole time.

Last edited by Toolcrib; 08-27-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
I did mine (FX4 Luxury Package) in about 20 mins. I was able to release the top of the console trim piece and pull it back enough to get a 1/4 drive 8mm swivel socket with a 6 inch extension to get the pocket out and put the TBC in. Wasn't to bad I thought.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:01 PM
Ready to do this mod, don't want to rip out console

Originally Posted by Shogren65
I did mine (FX4 Luxury Package) in about 20 mins. I was able to release the top of the console trim piece and pull it back enough to get a 1/4 drive 8mm swivel socket with a 6 inch extension to get the pocket out and put the TBC in. Wasn't to bad I thought.
Sorry to revive a two month old thread. My FX4 has a flow through console, so the video on etrailer isn't much help.

I got my integrated TBC from TASCA and I'm ready to do my second mod, install the TBC. (first mod was a locking fuel plug to keep the punks from pouring foreign substances into the gas tank - also from TASCA). I read the instructions that come with the pigtail, fuse, and relay - there must be an easier way. The instructions want you to remove the shifter lever cable and the console.

I followed the instructions that come with the truck to a point. Step by step I did the following:

As per the instuctions that come with the pigtail, fuse and relay, move the front seats all the way forward.

Remove the two screws that mount the rear of the console per the instructions.

Move the front seats all the way backward.

Remove the driver side bottom trim panel at bottom in the footwell as illustrated in the instructions. On my FX4 there was no finish moulding push pin retainer. It comes off easy.

Remove the passenger side bottom trim panel in the passenger footwell per the instructions. This part also comes off very easy.

Remove the bottom trim panel in the center stack per the instructions. This pops off really easy. Be careful not to scratch anything. I pryed with a small screwdriver blade wrapped in cloth.

Behind this panel are two bolts. Remove them as per the instructions.

At this point you can pull up on the sides of the floor console upper finish panel and from inside the storage compartment and remove the panel that goes around the shifter and contains the cupholders. The instructions have a picture of how to do this. This part is all one piece and mine came out hard. Make sure you don't have anything in the cupholders or the compartment in front of the shifter because it won't be there when you're done.

Remove the bolts on the driver and passenger side in the footwells that hold the console as per the instructions.

At this point, I deviated from the instructions. The instructions go on to advise you to disconnect the shift lever, the connector to the console power point, and to remove the console. None of this is necessary. Just slide the console backward a few inches to expose the bottom screw of the driver side trim panel - the one that has the shift on the fly switch mounted. With the bottom screw easily exposed, remove it. The instructions show a picture of the passenger side - that one can stay put.

Remove the trim panel as per the instructions, working from the bottom up to release the retaining clips. You may need to wiggle things around a bit to get it off. There is no need to remove any other trim panels.

When the trim panel is off, pop off the connector for the shift on the fly switch.

Remove the two screws that hold in the storage cubby. The connector for the trailer brake controller is behind it. Remove the connector and plug it into the Ford Integrated trailer brake controller. (If you're doing an after market TBC, reroute the connector to your chosen mounting point and put the storage cubby back in).

Put the new Ford TBC into the slot, and mount it with the two screws that held the storage cubby.

Now you're done the physical installation. Reconnect the shift on the fly connector and put the trim piece back on and press in the retaining clips.

Put the bottom bolt back on for the trim piece.

Slide the center console back into place. Put the bottom bolts back in in each of the footwells.

Put the mounting bolts back in that go into the center stack.

Pop the console top trim piece back on.

Pop on the trim piece from the center stack.

Put the driver and passenger side footwell trim pieces back on.

Move the front seats all the way forward and put the two rear mounting bolts back in.

Take the truck to a dealer to have the TBC programmed.

This didn't take very long at all. I went slow and took my time and was done in about 1 hour. Now that I've done it once, I bet it could be done in half that time.

I hope this write-up helps someone in an FX4 or Lariat with the flow through console who chooses to install the Ford Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. Sorry I did not take any pictures but the process is rather easy. The instructions Ford provides in the package with the pigtail, fuse, and relay are pretty good. Hopefully what I added makes it a little easier.

Last edited by hemigod; 10-18-2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: explain my type of console, add step by step with deviation from Ford's instructions
Old 04-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Help. I just went through this and cannot find any connector behind the cubby. 2010 FX4 with tow pkg, sensors etc.. I though all the trucks with the tow pkg had the connector. Is it somewhere under the center console or tied up with some of the instrument wiring?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Bonjo2 - some people have reported that on the 2010's, the connecter is taped to a main wiring harness somewhere up under the steering wheel. It has also been reported that there is an adapter on the connecter that needs to come off to fit the oem tbc.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:58 AM
Originally Posted by Toolcrib
I have the TBC and am ready to install it,has anyone actually put one on themselves. The video that everyone refers to is on a XLT, on the Lariats and above It does not seem so simple more dash pieces to remove.
If you haven't done this yet here is a good video shows you exactly how to remove. http://www.coastaletech.com/synclockpick.htm

Quick Reply: Fx4 -lariat tbc.