2009 - 2014 F-150

Bolt size for 5" step bars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bolt size for 5" step bars?

Purchased some factory 5 inch chrome step bars from a 2009 SC for my 2009 SC. No hardware was provided. Does anyone know the exact bolt size and thread count? I looked under a truck at the dealership and saw a clip type thing as well on the bolts - what are these and do I really need them?

Thanks in advance
Cheef

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop by the dealer and ask the parts guy/girl. Probably the best way to make sure you get exactly what you need. Why did you buy the boards without the hardware?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Why did you buy the boards without the hardware?
I doubt he went in and said "can I make sure you get those bars without the hardware please?" Maybe the hardware kit is another PN or something and the lazy parts person didn't volunteer that information.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:45 PM
what happened was the owner had the dealer take the steps off when the truck came off the truck but the owner wanted to keep them and sell them since he had already paid for them. He never asked for the hardware.
I just suited myself up with grade 3 bolts, lock washers, flat washers and nuts so I should be ok, I would be surprised if they ever come loose.

Maybe this should be posted on a new page but does anyone know of a reputable Line-x dealer close to Port Huron Michigan ? I live in Canada, about 45 minutes away from Port Huron and everyone wants $550-625 for a 5.5 foot box sprayed.

Cheers

Old 09-04-2009, 04:53 AM
I ordered mine seperate from the dealer and all hardware (including frame clips) came inclusive. If you have the mounting clips installed on the frame already, it would appear to me that the dealer removed the original step bars and put them on another vehicle. For the price you paid for the steps, which I can only imagine was close to what I paid, you should have gotten all your parts and not just the steps.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:34 AM
The clips were not on the truck nor with the steps. I paid $200 to the owner of the steps, not the dealer and did not care if it came with hardware since hardware is inexpensive. Pretty good deal IMO since they have never been used. So I was never worried about the hardware.

My original question was about the actual bolt size required for the boards... so far I have been flamed for not getting the hardware and not one reply has included the bolt size.

The hardware I bought yesterday is 5/16" and grade 3 and looks great.

I'll post photos of my set up next week, they go on Sunday.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by cheef
The clips were not on the truck nor with the steps. I paid $200 to the owner of the steps, not the dealer and did not care if it came with hardware since hardware is inexpensive. Pretty good deal IMO since they have never been used. So I was never worried about the hardware.

My original question was about the actual bolt size required for the boards... so far I have been flamed for not getting the hardware and not one reply has included the bolt size.

The hardware I bought yesterday is 5/16" and grade 3 and looks great.

I'll post photos of my set up next week, they go on Sunday.
No one was flaming you about the hardware. Loosen up. All I asked was why you didn't have the hardware. Geez.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Went to the dealer and looked underneath at the bolts and they have 10 9 stamped on the head. Is this the size? They look like 5/16th. Not too worried since I have mine and mocked them up tonight, work great so far, Sunday will be the tell.

Cheers

Old 09-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Went to the dealer and looked underneath at the bolts and they have 10 9 stamped on the head. Is this the size? They look like 5/16th. Not too worried since I have mine and mocked them up tonight, work great so far, Sunday will be the tell.
That would be a Class 10.9 Metric bolt.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 PM
thanks K9 sar. class 10 is very strong? is it required for step bars?
cheers

Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
thanks K9 sar. class 10 is very strong? is it required for step bars?
cheers
Yes a 10.9 is pretty strong.

Here's a link for comparison:

http://www.engineersedge.com/hex_bol...tification.htm

Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM
what happened was the owner had the dealer take the steps off when the truck came off the truck but the owner wanted to keep them and sell them since he had already paid for them. He never asked for the hardware.
I just suited myself up with grade 3 bolts, lock washers, flat washers and nuts so I should be ok, I would be surprised if they ever come loose.

Maybe this should be posted on a new page but does anyone know of a reputable Line-x dealer close to Port Huron Michigan ? I live in Canada, about 45 minutes away from Port Huron and everyone wants $550-625 for a 5.5 foot box sprayed.

Cheers

You live in Strathroy? Or London? Could be Wallaceburg or even Forest.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:55 AM
You say they have a 10.9 stamped on them. So they are a metric bolt, size 8MM, grade 10.9 - which is a whole lot stronger than your grade 3 bolts. a 10.9 metric bolt is comparable to a Grade 8 standard bolt. 5/16 is the same size as 8 MM but the threads won't match up, so just make sure if you use the standard bolts to use standard frame clips or metric of both.

Last edited by jdtech65; 09-06-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the help guys.

Bigoletruck - I am in London. Do you know of a good deal for Line-X close by?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I just bought some step bars too without hardware for $100. A guy was selling them for his son. The son took them off his 2009 truck the day he brought it home. The son moved to CO. The dad said his son must have put the bolts back into the j-nuts on the truck. I have access to the Ford accessories installation guides at work and they indicate that the bolts are 13mm. I called the dealer and they said the j-nuts alone are $7.50 each. That's $120 for just the nuts, no bolts! Of course I passed. I'll go to ACE Hardware, or Murray's/O'Reilly's and see what I can find.

Quick Reply: Bolt size for 5" step bars?