2009 - 2014 F-150

I'm 40 years old...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrainDonor
I guess adding a train horn would be pretty immature for my age, right?

bd - do it!! Be sure and record and post it here

Old 09-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Suspended
Train horns aren't for everyone. I personally love the set I have and am thinking about getting another one. I hardly ever use them but they come in handy when I need to get someone's attention, like reminding someone that the light is green, or using it to avoid an accident, and yes to sometimes just scare the crap out of stupid drivers. I can use the compressor to fill my tires and I have plans to put air lifts under the bed for additional support when I have stuff in the back. So there is definitely some practicality for the compressor and tank. Adding the train horns is just one step up. I'm sure there are better things that you could put your money towards for your truck but if we were that concerned with spending money on our rigs then this site probably wouldn't exist or be as popular as it is. Nobody wants to brag about a stock truck. But it's your ride, do what you want and don't let age hold you back. You only live once. You should look on you tube for train horn videos; it might help you decide if you really want one.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:16 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

At 40 years old, I assume you have acquired some assets.
I ask because
1 - legal maximum noise decibel levels just about everywhere top out at 125.
2 - most of the train horns for autos are advertised at 130 to 160 decibels.
3 - one can easily envision a startled driver losing control, may not even be your target.
4 - even if there is no resulting negligent homicide, the civil action would be a no-brainer.
(which is why I asked about possible assets)

Leave it to the kids with nothing to lose.
A smart lawyer will convince a jury you aimed a 'sound gun' at your victim(s) and fired maliciously, killing or maiming.

The only thing you really control is pushing a button, the result of a car running into a tree, into oncoming traffic, down an embankment, is out of your hands. You just get to watch it all play out.

The case is coming folks, it's as plain as day.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:34 PM

At 40 way to immature. Now if you were saaaay.....39 or so then I would say go for it

Originally Posted by Raoul
At 40 years old, I assume you have acquired some assets.
I ask because
1 - legal maximum noise decibel levels just about everywhere top out at 125.
2 - most of the train horns for autos are advertised at 130 to 160 decibels.
3 - one can easily envision a startled driver losing control, may not even be your target.
4 - even if there is no resulting negligent homicide, the civil action would be a no-brainer.
(which is why I asked about possible assets)

Leave it to the kids with nothing to lose.
A smart lawyer will convince a jury you aimed a 'sound gun' at your victim(s) and fired maliciously, killing or maiming.

The only thing you really control is pushing a button, the result of a car running into a tree, into oncoming traffic, down an embankment, is out of your hands. You just get to watch it all play out.

The case is coming folks, it's as plain as day.
Good one!!!! That's like saying someone would sue a fast food joint for the coffee being to hot or something!

Old 09-21-2009, 12:54 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
... Good one!!!! That's like saying someone would sue a fast food joint for the coffee being to hot or something!
Yeah, it would be funny except a jury awarded $2.86 million in that case.
I don't think I carry enough liability insurance to put a train horn on my truck.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Well the trains around here let them horns off every 5 mins or so. I can hear one as im typeing this. How on earth do they get away with doing it when the tracks are right next to the road and houses? I also think that the DB rateing is mearsured from 1 meter so they may even come within the allowed amounts.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 PM
I am not all that worried about the lawsuit myself. It is those dang HIDs in improper housings that needs to be taken agressively by LEOs. Just IMHO.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Go for it! If you want it and can afford to do it right... go for it!

I turned 40 in August... instead of black balloons, I got an Black '09 Plat. SCREW... it's great for hauling my KX450 around to all the tracks in the area... or my mountain bike, or my daughters dirt bike, or whatever toy I decide to get... live it up, 40 is the new 30!!

Old 09-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Originally Posted by Barritia
Well the trains around here let them horns off every 5 mins or so. I can hear one as im typeing this. How on earth do they get away with doing it when the tracks are right next to the road and houses? I also think that the DB rateing is mearsured from 1 meter so they may even come within the allowed amounts.
Well, I'm not a smart lawyer but, the argument would be that one accepts and expects to hear a train horn when tracks are present.

Also the 1 meter distance is correct.
When the truck installed train horn is blown at the vehicle in front, how far away is a vehicle in a lane adjacent to the truck, 1.5 meters?

I'm just asking if the risk is worth the reward.
What is the reward anyway?

Quick Reply: I'm 40 years old...