2009 - 2014 F-150

Front view camera - is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Front view camera - is it possible?

Maybe the audio/video installers out there can answer this. I suspect the rear view camera starts up automatically (and only) when the truck is put in reverse. Is it possible to mount a camera up front with a video input selector and somehow bypassing the reverse switch? I think it would be handy to have a front view as well as a rear view.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
You would have to get a lockpick or something of that nature to hack the video inputs (assuming you have a factory screen.) Otherwise, you would just wire a camera to a swtiched power source and run the video feed to the video input on your aftermarket screen.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally Posted by Sundevil2188
You would have to get a lockpick or something of that nature to hack the video inputs (assuming you have a factory screen.) Otherwise, you would just wire a camera to a swtiched power source and run the video feed to the video input on your aftermarket screen.
or rig up a little circuit board to a switch that will send the reverse light signal to the radio turning on the back up camera but also switches it to the front camera...thats what i would do

Old 09-24-2009, 07:29 PM
What would be the purpose of this? Are you trying to record the drive? Just curious.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by sandydiego
What would be the purpose of this? Are you trying to record the drive? Just curious.
haha, we did one for a short lady who drove a HUGE lifted dodge. She could barely see over the hood/wheel, so parking was kind of a pita for her. Id assume thats what he's looking for too.

Ive also wired up cameras in horse trailers so that guys can monitor the horses in the back during the trip.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
or rig up a little circuit board to a switch that will send the reverse light signal to the radio turning on the back up camera but also switches it to the front camera...thats what i would do
But how are you going to get an aftermarket camera with a RCA to hook up to a stock HU?

Old 09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I have the pioneer z3 and it now only displays the rear when the truck is in reverse but it also allows you to drive and see behind you so this is can be done.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:23 AM
I should have been more clear... I was wondering if the factory backup system could be hacked. With an aftermarket system I think this would be an easy thing to do, but not worth buying to do so. Why do it? Parking would be the main reason. You don't want to back into anything nor run into anything. If it can be done easily it would be a cool thing to have. It wouldn't be for viewing or recording your drive. That would get boring real quick. I was watching some bumper cam views on YouTube from the open road races in Nevada. The car was doing 120, but it looked like 40. Actually going 40 would be sick.

Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by oneinch
I should have been more clear... I was wondering if the factory backup system could be hacked. With an aftermarket system I think this would be an easy thing to do, but not worth buying to do so. Why do it? Parking would be the main reason. You don't want to back into anything nor run into anything. If it can be done easily it would be a cool thing to have. It wouldn't be for viewing or recording your drive. That would get boring real quick. I was watching some bumper cam views on YouTube from the open road races in Nevada. The car was doing 120, but it looked like 40. Actually going 40 would be sick.
You would need this guy right here...

http://www.coastaletech.com/ford360lockpick.htm

Quick Reply: Front view camera - is it possible?