2009 - 2014 F-150

Another Version of the USB 2 mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Version of the USB 2 mod

Well I finally got around to completing my version of the USB 2 mod tonight. Workin 70 hour weeks now that harvest is here has really slowed down my truck modding.

First off I'll say I have an XLT with captain chairs so I'm sure there are not a whole lot of others with the same combo but heres how I did mine. I wanted to put it in the center consule but did not have a place to hide the wire since I have the column shifter.

I ordered a 10 foot USB cable and a USB A-A adapter that I got from L-com.com. I routed the cable from the back of the radio down towards the gas pedal. Then I routed it under the carpet to a little hole next to the right front seat mount of the drivers seat. I removed the front of the center consule (the part witht the two cupholders) by pulling straight up and also the back of the consule by pulling straight back. Now that I had the cable at the front of the seat I fished the cable across towards the center consule - again going under the carpet. From there I went under the consule to the back and cut a square hole in the back of the consule to mount the adapter and plugged the USB cable in. Now I can just plug my ipod cable into the female USB port or anything else for that matter. Inisde the consule the USB port looks factory and the wires cannot be noticed at all.

I will get some pictures of the process this weekend so that it makes a little more sense. I used a "snake" to fish the cable under the carpet and consule which made it pretty easy to do.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Finally got around to taking some pictures. I didn't take any of the back of the radio since its the same on all of them.

I did not use any screws to hold the adapter in place. The hole I cut was snug enough that the adapter does not move at all when I unplug the cable from it.

Theres just enough room for the adapter and the cable and still get the cover back on. About 1/4-1/2 inch of room left.

This is the adapter that I used.

Old 10-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Looks sharp. Thinking about doing this mod once I get settled into my new house.

Quick Reply: Another Version of the USB 2 mod