2009 - 2014 F-150

Tow/Haul Switch - When/how to use it

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow/Haul Switch - When/how to use it

Hi all,

Sorry for a newbie question but I'm wondering the following:

1. My truck doesn't have the trailer brake controller but has the tow/haul switch (on the windshield wiper lever). When (or at what towing weight) should this be used? This is my first truck so I'm ignorant about these things. I've never turned it on, so I assume once you push the button in a dash light indicates it's enabled?

2. The most towing I ever do is a few snowmobiles in a trailer (3000 lbs) and a sled in the bed (450 lbs). Would I require the tow/haul mode for this type of hauling?

I've never used this option and the truck seems to be fine, but is it better to turn this option on when towing in these conditions?

Thanks all

Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 AM
Anytime I tow anything or just have a heavy load in the bed, is my rule of thumb. Anytime you may put any additional strain on the trans. I even use it in the hills without a load, you get better mileage.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just pulled my 2400 lb Coleman pop-up tent trailer plus the bed full of camping suplies for the first time up and down mountains last weekend. it was the first time i got to use the haul/tow for a real reason. when the truck was new I tried the setting going down a hill but it didnt seem to downshift and use engine breaking like the old O/D off switch use to do.

Then I found out that each time I tap my breaks going down hill with the tow/haul on, the tranny will down-shift one gear. Tap it a second time it down-shifts again. really cool.

I figured that any time I have significant weight on the truck, it is time to use the tow/haul.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Anytime you feel it is nessacery. I use it on long hills to not over heat the brakes when unloaded. When every I have something in tow more than 2000#'s I use it. It only increases the RPM shift points to get the most out of each gear. When braking with the Tow Haul mode don't be afraid when it revs, it's only doing its job.

Quick Reply: Tow/Haul Switch - When/how to use it