2009 - 2014 F-150

New 150 Ecoboost info

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 150 Ecoboost info

Found this, for some reason the link wont work but click http://farmindustrynews.com/trucks/ then hit A Boost Up

Cliffs:
Looks like the ecoboost is quicker than the V8 F150, not a huge surprise considering it has more HP and TQ than the 5.4L. They also hint the echoboost will make over 400hp. Ford is on the ball.

Ford's EcoBoost engine technology increases torque, improves fuel economy and lowers emissions

All it took was an impromptu drag race at Ford's Dearborn, MI, Development Center to convince me of the merits of the company's new EcoBoost engine technology. Journalists spent a day there learning about the new 2009 vehicles, and two of us ended up last in line on a straight test strip where we could compare an F-150 pickup with an identical vehicle powered by an EcoBoost V6 engine.

All Ford officials had left the area, and only two engineers remained to ride along with us on our acceleration tests. After requesting one last run in the F-150 with EcoBoost, I waved the other journalist to pull alongside in his F-150 with the 5.4 V8 and suggested we try a drag race on the wide, straight, mile-long strip. The engineers said they weren't sure we were allowed to do that, but I assured them — with no authority whatsoever — that it would be okay. Quickly, I told the other journalist to count down, “3-2-1-GO!” He did, we both hit the gas, and I was astounded both at how swiftly my EcoBoost-powered vehicle took off and how rapidly his V8 F-150 grew smaller in my outside mirror.

Ford first introduced EcoBoost in cars like the Taurus and Lincoln MKS and crossover SUVs like the Flex. Ford's standard 3.5 V6 engine turns out a solid 263 hp and 249 ft.-lbs. of torque. The EcoBoost V6 in car form jumps to 355 or 365 hp, and to 350 ft.-lbs. of torque, computer-controlled to maintain that peak from 1,500 to 5,250 rpm. In its auto and crossover applications, the EcoBoost required all-wheel drive rather than front-wheel drive to handle the increased torque.

“The F-150 will be the first application of the EcoBoost to a rear-wheel-drive vehicle,” says Alan Hall, EcoBoost marketing manager. “Because of that, we'll be able to get even more torque out of it. We'll have a similarly flat torque curve, and we're going to have a special transmission to handle what I would guess will be somewhere over 400 ft.-lbs. of torque.”

Technically, Ford created its first EcoBoost by taking the high-tech, two-year-old, 3.5-liter V6 and reinforcing it throughout. A stronger but lighter die-cast aluminum engine block was fitted with a crankshaft and connecting rods, both made of a higher-grade alloy for greater durability. Oil-cooled pistons, to withstand greater heat, have cylinder heads machined for direct injection. The dual-overhead camshafts are set for variable timing of the valve train to assure optimal performance, lower emissions and better fuel economy.

Turbocharging compensates for the fewer cylinders and smaller displacement, and Ford worked with Honeywell-Garrett to develop dual water-cooled turbochargers. Typically, turbochargers operate by directing a stream of exhaust flow to spin a turbine wheel, which powers a compressor that force-feeds an increased volume and velocity of airflow, sucking gasoline along with it to the engine. In the EcoBoost system, smaller turbines provide quicker spooling time, and, combined with the direct-injection system and computer control, the usual lag in power application is eliminated.

Instead of squirting the same air-fuel mixture into all cylinders at once, the Bosch-designed direct injection is calibrated to meter cool and more combustible air at extremely high pressure to insert a precise dosage of fuel individually into each cylinder's combustion chamber. Other direct-injection systems increase power, but Ford succeeded in coordinating the more efficient fuel-burning to aid power and fuel economy and to lower emissions.

“We promised a 20% increase in fuel economy, and we delivered a 25% improvement,” says Brett Hinds, advanced engineering design and development manager of the EcoBoost. “And we also achieved a 15% reduction in emissions.”

“Fuel economy is one of [farmers'] top needs,” says F-150 marketing manager Mark Grueber. “In our tests, farmers have praised the EcoBoost's low-end torque but also have been pleased to get 17 or 18 mpg and over 20 on the highway.”

By 2012, Ford expects to produce 750,000 EcoBoost engines in the U.S. and 1.3 million of them globally. The F-150 EcoBoost will reach showrooms late in 2010. Ford thinks farmers will appreciate the EcoBoost's durability and reliability. And once the crops are in, that EcoBoost engine might come in handy for drag racing.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:21 PM
there are too many engines making similar numbers. 5.0, 6.2, ecoboost, all over 400 lbs of torque, up to 400 to 400+ hp, 18 to 20+ mpg. i wonder what the final numbers will be.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 PM
5.0 be down closer to 350

6.2 may not be available across the board

Old 09-29-2009, 11:22 PM
thx for the news,

so late '10 ... as in '11 model year id assume

i hope the 6.2 is availabe across the board
..looking to order a 6.2 lariat razor red(red candy or watever they call it this year) fully loaded baby! guess i ould settle for the ecoboost if i must but its a ... a ... v6 *gags* meh we shall see still a long time till then!

Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Thumbs down

17-18 for the EcoBoost? After all this time waiting to see these improved MPG's... well, that sucks. I get 15-15.4 in my '09 Plat now with 99% city driving. Talk about disapointment.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by CometFlash
17-18 for the EcoBoost? After all this time waiting to see these improved MPG's... well, that sucks. I get 15-15.4 in my '09 Plat now with 99% city driving. Talk about disapointment.
Considering that they are rated at 14 mpg now, 17-18 would be a big jump. ~25%. What other fullsize truck can get 18 mpg city? If they get a simlar bump in Hwy mpg then you would see 23-24 mpg which is as good as some small 4 cyl trucks

Quick Reply: New 150 Ecoboost info