2009 - 2014 F-150

Looking for a step by step WITH Photos on door panel removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW I recently replaced the speakers in my truck using the factory head unit and no amp. It's not a huge, massive, oh-my-god-I-can't-believe-it difference, but it is noticeably better. IMO the base factory stereo in my XLT is the worst sounding stereo I've had since 1978. After $43 worth of speakers and $10 worth of adapter to save cutting the factory harness - it went from sounding horrible to acceptable. I'm still thinking of adding an amp - but the sound has improved enough for me (not an audophile, not looking to play it loud - just want something that wasn't muddy) to be pretty happy.

I used Pioneer A6872R's. They were on sale at bestbuy in store for $43/pr.

And to contribute to the original intent of the thread - here's a post I made about removing the door handle cover. I found that to be the trickiest part of removing the door panels:

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/door-ha...removal-46152/

Last edited by technikal; 03-14-2010 at 12:18 AM. Reason: correcting typos
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by technikal
... IMO the base factory stereo in my XLT is the worst sounding stereo I've had since 1978...
This setup I have now is MUCH better than the one in my 2005 (same radio features/setup [6-disc MP3], but now with sync)....whether that is because the cab is quieter (which it is) or because the pverall acoustics may be better, or the radio has more power, I don't know....but I'm sure it's better than that one.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:58 PM
A hint about removing the cover behind the door handle... Use a coat hanger bent with a 90 degree on one end, only about 1/2" long. Put it behind the cover on the door handle side and remove the cover like that. This is by far the best way that you can remove it.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Panel remover

Hey guys,
I tint windows and remove door panels all the time. Per the prior posts it sounds like popping the covers off behind the handle was the trickiest part. I have a 2011 F 150 and just tinted the windows on it. I also, had to remove all almost al of the covers and screws to do the job.
My tool of choose is a cotter pin puller. I use this 80% of the time to remove the covers. Other 20% I use a pick, similar to what a dentist uses. Sometimes they can seem like a bear to get out but keep pulling at different angles and eventually they will pop. For the door handle cover, I use one hand to hold the handle open and the other to use the cotter pin tool.
Remember, someone had to put that cover there to begin with, so you can definetly get it off.

Hope that helps,
Busyman

Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 AM
are these directions for a 2011 super cab or something else. Cause I could use those

Old 12-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by nards444
are these directions for a 2011 super cab or something else. Cause I could use those
Nards, I'm assuming that you are asking me this question. If so then yes, I have a super crew but the super cab should be the same.

Busyman

Quick Reply: Looking for a step by step WITH Photos on door panel removal